Is there a new cruise terminal in Houston?

jordanaire

While Bayport is relatively "new", it's been used by Princess for at least a couple of years. It was also used by Carnival in 2008 when Galveston was closed due to damage from Hurricane Ike.

The terminal has set empty for many years, as mentioned above Carnival used it for a handful of sailings when Galveston took a direct hit from Ike. Princess and NCL are there for a while, with the concessions for price being heavy from the Houston Port Authority.

The terminal itself is actually in Pasadena, Texas.

Edited by BallFour4

• 4 weeks later...

We used Houston Bayport on 2005 when NCL had to leave New Orleans due to Katrina. We thought it was great for driving in/out. Parking was cheap and ultra close. From car onto the ship - 15 minutes.

We'll arrive there in Nov on NCL Jade from transatlantic and I'm sure we'll see changes. m--

We used Houston Bayport on 2005 when NCL had to leave New Orleans due to Katrina. We thought it was great for driving in/out. Parking was cheap and ultra close. From car onto the ship - 15 minutes.

We'll arrive there in Nov on NCL Jade from transatlantic and I'm sure we'll see changes. m--

Howdy RMLincoln! emo22.gif

Actually, there will be LOTS of changes because you will NOT be at the same cruise terminal you used in 2005. You probably used the old Barbours Cut terminal located in La Porte, TX. Back in 2005, it was the terminal the Port of Houston used for regular cruise service.

NCL left the Port of Houston in 2007 but have now returned. Click here http://www.chron.com/business/article/Port-will-pay-6-7-million-to-lure-two-cruise-4051674.php for the oldie but goody November 19, 2012 Houston Chronicle article titled Port will pay $6.7 million to lure two cruise lines.

At this time, both Princes and NCL are using the long-empty Bayport Cruise Terminal built in 2007 located in Pasadena, TX for regular cruise service.

Click here http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information for the Port of Houston Authority Cruising Information page. Also click here http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/live-cruise-terminal-cam/ for their live video camera at the Bayport Cruise Terminal on the western shores of Galveston Bay.

I hope this information will be helpful!

Kat emo32.gif

Carnival used the Bayport Terminal for a few cruises after Ike.

After Katrina the Conquest was reassigned to Galveston. It remained here until the Magic arrived.

Edited by BallFour4

• 4 weeks later...

I have used the link listed above and it does not seem to work, except for the information and picture of the port. There is outdated information about parking for cruises in April, and the Reservations tab offers a button to "Reserve" but no further information appears. I'd like to make a reservation but no luck so far.

The Port is closed for the season, so there may be nobody home. It will be next fall before any cruises depart from this terminal. The link that was provided is used to prepay parking for specific cruises. When cruises restart you will go to the website, pick your cruise from a list, and then pay for a parking spot if desired. There is plenty of parking so there is no need to rush. When arriving for your cruise, the prepaid folks have no advantage (preferred parking for example) over those that pay when they arrive. You just save a few dollars if you pay in advance. I hope that I have answered your questions.

The Port is closed for the season, so there may be nobody home. It will be next fall before any cruises depart from this terminal. The link that was provided is used to prepay parking for specific cruises. When cruises restart you will go to the website, pick your cruise from a list, and then pay for a parking spot if desired. There is plenty of parking so there is no need to rush. When arriving for your cruise, the prepaid folks have no advantage (preferred parking for example) over those that pay when they arrive. You just save a few dollars if you pay in advance. I hope that I have answered your questions.

Thanks so much for that information, sptrout! I had no idea that this port closes for part of the year. It's our first time to sail from this location. We went out of the old terminal/port (LaPorte?) years ago on Norwegian cruises but have since only sailed from Galveston.

I'm very much a planner-ahead type of person and I'm glad to know that this is not something I'll have to be too concerned about. Thanks especially for the info about availability and reserved/non-reserved issues.

I'll check back on the terminal website in the fall. Thanks again!