Amtrak Albany

phoenix_joy

We are coming from Ontario to Manhattan and cruising on Monday Oct. 27. We plan on arriving in Manhattan on Saturday Oct. 25 - we have a hotel booked on Sunday the 26th but still need to find a reasonable one for Saturday night the 25th.

Instead of driving into the city and dealing with parking, we were considering taking the train from Albany ($164 round trip for both). Is parking free in Albany for the duration of Oct. 25th to Nov. 7th? It seems luggage is still free up to 4 bags each (two checked and two carry-on).

Is this a viable option?

Another option (which I've never done, but know of friends who have) is to drive a little further to Poughkeepsie, NY.

Poughkeepsie has a few big advantages over Albany - mostly as it on the the Metro-North commuter rail (similar to the Go Train). This means the fares are MUCH cheaper, and the trains are much more frequent!

You should check the MTA website for up to date details, but the last time I researched this I found trains usually leave Poughkeepsie Station at 54 minutes past the hour, every hour. Additional trains at 4:37pm, 5:39pm. Most trains approx 1hr 50min travel time. Adult ticket $17 one way (off peak), Family Fare (child 5-11 accompanied by a paying adult) $1.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm?key=58

They also have on-site parking:

Parking lot operated by LAZ Parking. Covered Garage connected to station by pedestrian bridge. Rate $6.50 per 24 hours, weekends and holidays free. Machine accepts credit cards.

http://www.rrparking.com/parking_lots/26

:)

We are coming from Ontario to Manhattan and cruising on Monday Oct. 27. We plan on arriving in Manhattan on Saturday Oct. 25 - we have a hotel booked on Sunday the 26th but still need to find a reasonable one for Saturday night the 25th.

Instead of driving into the city and dealing with parking, we were considering taking the train from Albany ($164 round trip for both). Is parking free in Albany for the duration of Oct. 25th to Nov. 7th? It seems luggage is still free up to 4 bags each (two checked and two carry-on).

Is this a viable option?

Also check out Yankee Trails cruise express from Albany. Parking is free and secure.

http://tours.yankeetrails.com/Tour/NY_Cruise_Express_NCL_Gem/DepartureDates

Edited by janetz

Here's the website for parking at the Albany-Rensselaer train station: http://www.cdta.org/rider_guide_connecting_rail_rensselaer.php

As you will see, parking is not free. I would not recommend parking in the surface lots for a week-plus - I'd pay extra for the garage. It's safer than the surface lots.

The last time I took a train from Poughkeepsie I had to park on the street under the Mid-Hudson Bridge.:eek: Since you're arriving on Saturday, though, parking may be more available. Amtrak's more expensive, but it's more comfortable than Metro-North and I would be more comfortable leaving a car in the garage at Albany-Rensselaer than taking a chance on finding a spot in the garage in Poughkeepsie.

I'm a frequent Empire Service Amtrak rider (although I usually take the train from one station south of Albany-Rensselaer). I've been doing this run for 27 years and I have to say I never tire of riding the train along the Hudson. It's a beautiful ride. If you opt for this, sit on the right side of the coach for river views. Unfortunately we'll be past peak around Albany for fall foliage, but closer to the city you may still have fall color. Along the way you'll see lighthouses, mountains, bridges, Bannerman's Castle (long story but it's a neat sight), Storm King Mountain, the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, the Palisades... in short, the train adds to your vacation. All of this applies to Metro-North as well.

Edited by nybumpkin
Added: You'll see mountains!

I lived in Albany for 20 years and left my car in the surface lot at the Albany Rensselaer train station for many weeks, many times. It is safe, well lit and I never had any problems. I actually find the parking garage there dark and creepy.

Thanks - really good info.

Now we have to weigh the pros and cons - $400 parking at the pier (2 weeks) or take the train from Albany + parking = approx. $270 (2 weeks)

There would be an additional savings too in that a hotel in Albany the night of the 25th would presumably be considerably cheaper than an extra night in New York.

I'm with Rich on the surface lots over the parking garage.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

Thanks - really good info.

Now we have to weigh the pros and cons - $400 parking at the pier (2 weeks) or take the train from Albany + parking = approx. $270 (2 weeks)

Why not consider the bus? It is 90 pp. With free parking. :)

For some reason the bus was only an option on the same day as the cruise. We plan on being in Manhatten late afternoon on the 25th and cruise out on the 27th. We want to enjoy the evening of the 25th and all day Sunday in Manhattan before jumping on the cruise.

Any further info about the bus would be greatly appreciated.

We had been planning to drive, park and train for our January cruise, but now plan to park at the pier instead. Big difference for us is our cruise is on Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas out of Cape Liberty NJ, which is MUCH more difficult to get to than a Manhattan pier. For us, it would have meant a car service costing $60+ each way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason the bus was only an option on the same day as the cruise. We plan on being in Manhatten late afternoon on the 25th and cruise out on the 27th. We want to enjoy the evening of the 25th and all day Sunday in Manhattan before jumping on the cruise.

Any further info about the bus would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes, so sorry. ;)

So it is down to the train from Albany or park at the pier.

Does anyone know if you can park at the pier a couple of days prior to your cruise leaving? And how much is the cost for parking for 13 days?

The parking lot is only open when a ship is in port for disembarkation/embarkation so you can't park there in advance of your cruise.

Parking is $40 per day, payable in advance using cash, Visa or Mastercard, but there is a maximum charge of $400 for 10-30 days...so your cost will be $400.

http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

Edited by njhorseman