FF Miles on Flights

buggins0402

We were on Air France from LAX to Papeete on a flight booked by Regent in February. We gave them our Delta FF number. We received $$ credit for the coach price and not for the business upgrade we paid for. However, we receved actual miles for the length of the flight plus business class bonus miles. I don't know if this helps, but it is an example. I think maybe affiliates and air line partners maybe handled differently. Who knows these days!

Now that Delta and United have changed their points from miles flown to price paid, how does this affect miles given on air included cruise fares?

Don't see why it would be much different than you would get if you paid for the flight. That said, it most likely is based on what the cruise line paid for your fare. Be careful, you don't get mileage on the taxes, just the basic fare. The airline system doesn't care how you got the ticket, there is a price associated with your ticket that the computer would use to calculate your miles. Please remember, not all fares do get miles so depending on how the cruiseline pays for the fare and the rules of the fare class, you also might not get any miles if the tickets are bought from a consolidator, the contract between the cruise line states no mileage for fares and other considerations.

Believe you could find this out if you know or could find the fare class that was booked and then search out the rules for this class. This is NOT First, Business, Coach, Economy, etc. it is the fare basis which will be a letter or multiple letters starting with F for full fare First Class and going down from there. Most airlines have many different fare classes with different rules for each of them. Have seen in excess of 15 fare classes on some airlines so not simple and possibly something that you might not be able to determine until you see the receipt for the ticket.

Hope this helps, it isn't as easy as one might expect or hope and you might not know until your miles are or are not posted and then simply contact the airline with your confirmation number and ask the question. You might also simply phone the airline once you have your confirmation number from the airline and they should be able to tell you at that point.

Edited by rallydave

Flying Alitalia (through Delta) one way JFK to MXP CHEAP through Celebrity choice air. I can wait to be surprised how few miles I will receive.

..and how many fewer Sky Pesos you can actually use later :D

..and how many fewer Sky Pesos you can actually use later :D

But they never expire...good thing because it only takes millennium to accumulate enough for a decent flight. :D

Thanks for the answer RD. When we deviated we received the miles. Last cruise it made sense to just buy on our own. Next cruise isn't for a while and don't know if we'll do the O air (with deviation). I'm also considering changing it to another longer cruise for which we probably wouldn't deviate. All 2016 and before the flight booking opening time, so there's a lot of time to decide.

Signed up for an AA card, so we now collect all three. :D

Three may be spreading it too thin, IMO, but two is almost a must to be more flexible (AA & UA - forget DL for award flights :D).

Your right, I am finding it too thin to spread around. But, the AA sign up got us to Spain for a land trip and Delta....well, 80% of the flights from our home airport are Delta, so it's a necessary evil. United is DH's ...will be slow go for miles to Asia. My plan is to have at least one ripen for at least a flight a year.:)

Flying Alitalia (through Delta) one way JFK to MXP CHEAP through Celebrity choice air. I can wait to be surprised how few miles I will receive.

Here's a link to the current Alitalia mileage accrual chart from Delta.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/earn-miles/earn-miles-with-partners/airlines/alitalia.html

Notice the phrase: If a class is not listed, no miles accrue. :eek:

Have a great cruise.

Why not sign up DH for the same card and then you are all set for Asia on CX or JL in business. :)

Dang...perhaps I should have used the UAL miles to Spain. Already picked the fruit from the AA tree for the Spain trip this November. :D

Wanted to go somewhere to use my Carlson Club miles. Now that they are taking away the extra free night with point redemption that card will get the heave-ho.

Asia won't be until 2017....when I'm retired and have enough time off to make the trip worthwhile. Already have been to China, Japan and Thailand...but some other places look interesting. So many places yet to see and miles to accumulate to get there!:)

Dang...perhaps I should have used the UAL miles to Spain. Already picked the fruit from the AA tree for the Spain trip this November. :D

You could always cancel and use the UAL miles. You might find some savers on UAL and they are going to switch from 757 to 767's.

Other ways of getting UAL are to transfer miles from Marriott to UAL. Not the best of deals but when you have over 700K points -- it does help pay for air.

Also I will use my Corp Amex card to transfer miles into FF programs to fill up the those needing an extra boost to a free ticket. Did that recently for Virgin.

Why do I love collecting those AA miles so much? I just booked 2 business award flights in business from SFO to CPT on Qatar (one of the five 5* airlines) for 75K miles and $6 (and change). That is not a misprint - SIX Dollars and change/person.

Now, that is what I call a bargain :D

Why do I love collecting those AA miles so much? I just booked 2 business award flights in business from SFO to CPT on Qatar (one of the five 5* airlines) for 75K miles and $6 (and change). That is not a misprint - SIX Dollars and change/person.

Now, that is what I call a bargain :D

I bow before you....how did you do that!!!:) Incredibly good!!

Only flew Qatar r/t once, IST to DBX and DBX with a couple days in DOH back to IST. We were only economy, but it reminded me of the old days of air flights. Business will be really nice. Are you going to overnight in Doha?

You two definitely have me thinking whether to save the AA's and use the UALs (sky-pesos, as usual, don't work on this trip). But, the UAL's seemed like they would work well for Asia eventually.

I have so much to learn...but, I keep reading the various boards to try and figure these things out.

Just keep at it - it took me many years and you will get there as well if you put in the time :).

We were in Doha last year for a couple of days before flying home (again in J on QR). AA's miles shine when used with partners (EY, QR, CX, JL) and are easier to get with partners than with AA metal (usually). Exception is QF - very hard to score.BA is good but the taxes are very high.