Pre-cruise destination Denali or Wrangle-St. Elias

momto2js

I am planning our pre-cruise itinerary for mid-May 2015. I had assumed that we would make the drive from ANC to Denali, but after learning that much of the park is only available by bus and many of the tours are 8+ hours on the bus. My children will be 6 and 8 and being on a bus that long, is not their idea of a vacation.

We could go to Denali and drive to the visitor center and explore that area. The other option is to do the same length drive and go to Wrangell-St. Ellias where it looks a bit more accessible. We live in the south and my boys think that local bridge is a mountain so pretty much the whole experience will be a first for them.

The other option is to go and stay at the Seward military resort for the land part of our trip. It looks like that may be a good option with much to do but we will be on the water for a week, so I am a little reluctant to do that but it is also an option. Any BTDT input for a families first trip to Alaska. It is likely my boys will be back at least once so we just need an introduction.

If the 8+ hours on a bus at Denali gives you pause, I would not go to Wrangell St. Elias. The big attraction there is the Kennicott Mine and McCarthy. That is a longer day than the Denali Day, maybe 10 hours. You also need to be aware that many rental car companies prohibit driving on gravel roads. Some have "gravel ready" cars. The road is gravel beyond Chitina. The tour of the mine might be treacherous for a child. Lots of steps and drop-offs. Don't get me wrong. It's a great trip.

Regardless of where you go, be sure to check on what sights and activities are open. You're travelling in the shoulder season and some vendors and parks don't fully open until Memorial Day weekend.( In Denali the buses don't go beyond Toklat until June 1).

You know your kids best ... if they won't enjoy the bus ride in the park, they also won't enjoy the 5 hr drive to get there. And exploring Wrangell St Elias will require an even longer drive.

If you don't want to travel far, exploring Seward and the Kenai Peninsula is a wonderful alternative. There is lots to see and do, and activities aren't limited to the day cruises. There is dog sledding/carting, Exit Glacier, SeaLife Center. Rent a car from Hertz (the only vendor) and explore beyond Seward. How much time do you have? If only a couple of days, spend 2 in Seward then overnight near Girdwood on the Turnagain Arm so you can visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort, Portage Glacier Visitor Center.

Do a little research to learn about sights and activities, starting with http://www.seward.com and http://www.kenaipeninsula.org. Send for their free visitor guides.

If the 8+ hours on a bus at Denali gives you pause, I would not go to Wrangell St. Elias. The big attraction there is the Kennicott Mine and McCarthy. That is a longer day than the Denali Day, maybe 10 hours. You also need to be aware that many rental car companies prohibit driving on gravel roads. Some have "gravel ready" cars. The road is gravel beyond Chitina. The tour of the mine might be treacherous for a child. Lots of steps and drop-offs. Don't get me wrong. It's a great trip.

I am not sure if it would work timewise as we stayed in Kennicott for 3 days but you could fly in on a small plane and then take a van out. The small plane ride would be a great thrill for your boys and you would not have to drive both ways.

Since we did stay there for 3 days, I obviously agree that it is a unique place to visit.

Mapleleaves' suggestions are also good and perhaps a better fit for your young family.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

If you look at a map of Alaska and draw a triangle from Seward to Talkeetna to Matanuska Glacier you will have more than enough fun kid friendly things to do in a week in that area. A couple of days in Seward would be good although a week is a bit long.

In addition to the things mapleaves mentioned you’d have access to glacier trekking at Matanuska, Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine, Portage Glacier. If the weather is good and Mt McKinley is out, a drive to Talkeetna for a visit is a way to get a great view of the mountain without going into the park. There are flight seeing trips around the mountain from there as well as other activities like jet boat tours. These are just a few of the things you could do in southcentral Alaska. There's a lot more.

An overnight in Girdwood would allow you to hike the Winner Creek Trail. The goal is a hand tram where you pull yourself over a gorge. The trail is well maintained with some of it on boardwalks.

The triangle which Glaciers has outlined is "chock-full" of kid friendly activities and attractions. If the OP decides to visit that area posters can provide a number of suggestions. But I will start by suggesting the arial tram at Alyeska to the top of the mountain; while both south-central and interior Alaska are rather short of snow just now snow conditions could change and so a visit to the top in mid-May could allow the kids to play on snow.

Add to the mix, some time in Anchorage could be of interest. Loads of "small stuff" to see and do, that wouldn't "tax" the small kids.

With your Denali comments, I frankly, wouldn't consider Kenicott either.

You need to find out what activities you would most likely to include then go to those areas. There is plenty to see and do. As mentioned, look more into, how you are going to occupy your time and make a list. Then an itinerary will be easy to plan.

• 1 month later...

Please don't rule out the Denali trip. I have been on the park shuttle buses twice to Tolkat and both times have seen many, many of the Denali four wild animals - bears, Dall sheep, elk, caribou - along with many other wild animals. The shuttle is also a hop on hop off so you could stay at any of the stops for some "riding" relief and catch the next shuttle. You could also catch a returning shuttle if kids were too restless. So many of the animals are right at the road, especially the dall sheep and last time we had to stop the bus as a mother grizzly and her two cubs meandered along the road and crossed right in front of our bus. The drivers are good to stop whenever a passengers calls out a sighting and most are good to impart info about the park. As a bonus, in 2012 we had a full view of Denali ( not always visible due to creating its own weather). Just a thought.

Please don't rule out the Denali trip. I have been on the park shuttle buses twice to Tolkat and both times have seen many, many of the Denali four wild animals - bears, Dall sheep, elk, caribou - along with many other wild animals. The shuttle is also a hop on hop off so you could stay at any of the stops for some "riding" relief and catch the next shuttle. You could also catch a returning shuttle if kids were too restless. So many of the animals are right at the road, especially the dall sheep and last time we had to stop the bus as a mother grizzly and her two cubs meandered along the road and crossed right in front of our bus. The drivers are good to stop whenever a passengers calls out a sighting and most are good to impart info about the park. As a bonus, in 2012 we had a full view of Denali ( not always visible due to creating its own weather). Just a thought.

Elk isn't seen in Denali, and your two trips were exceptions. most of the Denali access is scenery, not wildlife. Wildlife is not "right at the road", most often it is long distances away, with binoculars necessary.