Flying through UK airports.

maryann2

In addition to OP's post, this also affects international flights to the USA. Fortunately this has received a lot of "airtime" here in the US. The focus is flights out of Europe, Africa and the Middle East, but the new TSA-imposed security measures potentially apply worldwide.

If you are subject to the search you must power up your electronic devices for security. Devices that won't power up due to discharged or removed batteries will not be allowed past security.

Edited by kenish

In addition to OP's post, this also affects international flights to the USA. Fortunately this has received a lot of "airtime" here in the US. The focus is flights out of Europe, Africa and the Middle East, but the new TSA-imposed security measures potentially apply worldwide.

If you are subject to the search you must power up your electronic devices for security. Devices that won't power up due to discharged or removed batteries will not be allowed past security.

Two days ago I went through security at FCO and MUC during a flight back to the US and was not required to turn on my iPhone or iPad.

Two days ago I went through security at FCO and MUC during a flight back to the US and was not required to turn on my iPhone or iPad.

Good datapoint, but as my post and the numerous articles all state, it's at random and not 100%. Any good security system uses randomness as a key element. If your iPhone or iPad had been inspected at random and did not turn on, it would not be permitted past that check. So, the probability that electronics will actually be inspected is unknown, but the severity if it's inspected and cannot power up is very high.

Good datapoint, but as my post and the numerous articles all state, it's at random and not 100%. Any good security system uses randomness as a key element. If your iPhone or iPad had been inspected at random and did not turn on, it would not be permitted past that check. So, the probability that electronics will actually be inspected is unknown, but the severity if it's inspected and cannot power up is very high.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be good security - TSA does it too! ;)

Just hope you do not live in Washington DC which appears not to be part of the United States according to TSA.

Washington DC is an alien planet with no apparent signs of intelligent life. :D

Wow

This will be fun then when I come over at the end of the year

Thanks for heads up

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We flew home to California from Paris on July 6th and just missed this new regulation. Apparently it is being enforced there as of July 8th. I recall that there were not a lot of device-charging stations near the gates, and there were a lot of people waiting to use the few that we did find. I hope that they will make it easier to charge your phones at these international airports, either at the gate if that's where they are checked or back at security if that's where they are doing it (?). Also if the security lines will get even longer as a result of this. Has anyone read about passengers actually not being able to take their devices onto their flight?