Hotel in Quebec City

Lmack

Our flight will arrive very late in Quebec City on Sept 24th. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding where to stay the night before our cruise on the Radiance? We don't know if its better to stay by the airport or closer to the port. Also, regarding transportation to the hotel, do taxi's in the area accept US dollars or do we need to have Canadian dollars? If we need Canadian dollars, where do we exchange $'s? Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Lynn

Quebec City is a wonderful place to embark for a cruise. Do pack your patience as the facilities did seem small for the crowd.

1. Hotel. Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac. Historic, great location on top of the hill, formal and of another era with lots and lots of fantastic little restaurants all around to sample. We took one of the tiny rooms up in the top floors where headroom was not the greatest but looking out the window was like being in a fairy castle. I also used the classic pool done in tile and wood. The cost was not so awful when I caught a special on-line from Fairmont Hotels. Hotel very busy on change over day but that also was exciting. For some reason this hotel just awoke the traveler of the world feeling I me:).

2. You will be using Canadian money. Like in any country you should use an ATM and a debit card to get local currency. Don't forget to let the card know that you will be out of the country. Your phone will also not work as soon as you enter Canada but your company might be different so check with them.

3. Lots to see and do in Quebec City. It feels very European, has many fabulous restaurants, much culture and history. I loved to shop in the area next to Le Chateau especially down the hill from hotel to the back where there were lots of small shops and a wonderful crepe shop and fudge and maple shops. Maybe more than one day in this town. Have fun.

Hi,

Not sure about the hotels - maybe check the departure port boards. If you had more time I'd suggest in the old town, but if you don't have time to see the city it won't matter.

Locals will accept Canadian dollars. If $US are taken, the exchange rate will not be great and change will be in $CAD ( think of vendors in your local big city in the US - do they take $ CAD normally?)

Because you are coming in late you don't want to be chasing an ATM. Best to exchange at your own bank at home before you leave. If you are visiting any other Canadian cities, the same situation will apply for currency there too.

Most Canadian vendors will accept $US credit cards also.

Quebec is very French - if you learn your "s'il vous plait" and "merci"'s they will go a long way with the locals.

Edited by cruisintoddler

I am in montreal and not Quebec City so am not sure of all hotels.

But if it were me I would rather be near the port rather than airport, that way if you have any time in the morning you can do some touring.

I am sure cabs will take US dollars, but probably will not give you your currency exchange.

There are some expensive nice hotels in Quebec City but for a quick one night there are also nice smaller places

This one L'HÔTEL DU VIEUX-QUÉBEC is about 1/2 mile to port

And this one. PORT ROYAL about 5 min. Walk.

Since your ship will overnight in Quebec City I would suggest you stay in the upper part of Quebec City and explore the upper part the next day before going to the port which is on the lower part of Quebec City. I say that because it is a difficult walk from lower to the upper part. There is a funicular if needed.

If you do this ask the hotel if you can leave your luggage after check out to do your sightseeing and don't be in a hurry to get to the ship. The next morning you can leisurely explore the lower area near the port.

A cab is a fix rate of $34.25 CAD from the airport to town. Get some Canadian Dollars either before leaving or at a ATM at the airport. Less hassle that way. Your going to need CAD anyways.

Tom's Port Guide is a nice thing to review.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/QuebecCity-06-30-2014.pdf

Shak

L'Hotel Du Vieux is awesome, highly recommended to me and I wasn't disappointed when I stayed there. I booked directly online with the hotel. Taxi from the airport to the hotel, they took my Visa card. I spent 2 nights even though the ship overnighted in Quebec once we were onboard. There is more than enough to see! I love Quebec City, but biased as my mothers family name was Juneau, French Canadian! :)

I walked over to a CC pre-cruise gathering at the Frontenac and for the price, one night I would not spend the money.

I didn't find walking around the old town area difficult, down or up, although I used the funicular once. There is a tourism office at the top of the hill and I took a bus tour from them that was great.

Edited by susancruzs