Pretty food is not quality food

KILLERFEET

J...That is an awesome suggestion! Myster is especially taken with the idea! :) What is considered a "small suitable gift"? We don't have any experience in this area.

I didn't wish to say because I seem to bring out the worst in some and make this a competitive sport :rolleyes::) ..... but I keep a few notelets in my pocket which simply says "Thanks so much for looking after us .... Jeff and wifey" and include a $20 phone card. I use them in Singapore and use to use them on SS.

It covers me in many situations and although not used often I sometimes use them for people I fogot to say thank you to and encounter and a ship is a great place to keep a few in your pocket or purse. The nice effect in doing this early on in your cruise is that when you have some more food they remember your kindness and thoughfulness.

I hadn't mentioned it before because I didnt't really want to see it widespread and competitive ...... ;)

You will find when you chat to the chef that he might or should be mentoring some stars in his team, and your request gives him a chance to challenge them and your post-dinner feedback will be helpful and hopefully informative and encouraging. Don't also forget that lunch is a nice time to try things as well and they are normally prepping for dinner and welcome your diversion more. Insist on authentticy and home cooking if you can ie mother's and grandmother's recipess which is where most chefs started. Be bold on your long trip and for some meals when you chat to a chef tell them that you DO NOT need to know what they are going to serve but let them work out some ideas and a menu of their own choice. So for example ... if you meet aPolynesian chef just say "cook us an authentic meal of your choice that you would eat with your family on a special occaision with a variety of dishes please". Just make clear your allergies and hates and say "suprise me" for some of your meals.

I hope the chatting with the chef suggestion widens your food opportunities on SS WC - it's a long trip and variety will be a precious resource - and I think you may be the object of envy when they see some of the things plated for you.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

One of the most rewarding things you can do is as early as you can request five minutes with the chef and just chat through who he has in his brigade and who shines from each different country. Ask him who you should have prepare you are an authentic national dish that you might not otherwise experience. You will be surprised at what you might experience.

If you ever decide on this approach it's nice to have a few small suitable gifts in case you get a chance to meet the chef.

Jeff

Great idea Jeff. Next time!

One of the most rewarding things you can do is as early as you can request five minutes with the chef and just chat through who he has in his brigade and who shines from each different country. Ask him who you should have prepare you are an authentic national dish that you might not otherwise experience. You will be surprised at what you might experience. If you ever decide on this approach it's nice to have a few small suitable gifts in case you get a chance to meet the chef. Jeff

blondietoo: 1st Silversea cruise We disembarked the Silver Whisper after 17 days on December 8th. Twice we asked for an Indian dinner and both times we had fabulous meals and met the Indian chef who prepared them. We found overall the food to be very good except were disappointed with Le Champagne....wasn't that special...hardly any one in there every night of the cruise.

Appreciate this super great idea from Jeff!! While we will not be doing a World Cruise' date=' this wonderful tip might be tried during our upcoming Feb. 2-12 South Africa cruise on the Silver Cloud. Our past experiences have been that the crew likes some challenges and opportunities to "show off" their excellent creativity and skills.

Glad to hear from blondietoo that food quality was very good on the Silver Whisper. Our Le Champagne experience earlier this year was fairly good, but there were a couple of little only "average" points. No need to do this dining place again on our upcoming Silver Cloud sailing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 129,767 views for this posting.

Terry,

That's the problem with food reviews, for every blondietoo who found the food "very good", there's a cello44 (on the same ship, next sailing) who found it "wretched".

That's the issue with every element of cruising on these boards.

May i make a suggestion that you don't forget that the chef's who make the soups, salads or my personal favourite the desert.

Last year we asked for a cheesecake (it was super) but then we met the pastry chef and together we experimented boy was it worth it.

After many tastings over the 12 weeks we decided that the one made with Baileys Irish cream was the best. The galley staff were super and as usual all tried to give the best from their country.

joe