New Nonstop Option to Athens from NYC

FlyerTalker

Just announced today was that Emirates will start non-stop service to Athens from Newark in March. Delta currently offers seasonal non-stop service from JFK, with United having seasonal non-stops from Newark.

Now, a couple of caveats. For all the hype about the premium cabin experience on EK, this will operate with a 777. In coach, it's a tight 10-abreast seating. Business will be 7-abreast with angled seats and first will be suites (albeit at a likely steep fare). No premium cabin bars, no onboard showers.

Now for the good news. With the introduction of 350 more daily seats into the NYC-ATH market, there may be some agressive pricing by EK to gain business and some competitive matching by DL and/or UA. IMO, more so by UA, since both will fly from EWR. In addition, this flight will depart EWR quite late in the evening (11:45pm) so it may be more attractive for those that can't make an earlier departure. With a 3:05pm arrival, it will likely require a hotel stay in ATH prior to any ship boarding. The return leaves ATH at 4:40pm, so no need to dash off the ship to catch an early morning flight on UA or DL.

So, even if the EK flight isn't your first choice, it's worth watching to monitor prices - if DL/UA match, you'll know to jump on it.

Well drats! Just booked AA via PHL in Business Class to ATH, so if any pricing wars develop, I'll have been to early in my buying! It'll be interesting to see what fares EK brings out! I'm going in latter Oct., and UA is already showing have dropped the non stop for the season.

Just announced today was that Emirates will start non-stop service to Athens from Newark in March. Delta currently offers seasonal non-stop service from JFK, with United having seasonal non-stops from Newark.

Now, a couple of caveats. For all the hype about the premium cabin experience on EK, this will operate with a 777. In coach, it's a tight 10-abreast seating. Business will be 7-abreast with angled seats and first will be suites (albeit at a likely steep fare). No premium cabin bars, no onboard showers.

Now for the good news. With the introduction of 350 more daily seats into the NYC-ATH market, there may be some agressive pricing by EK to gain business and some competitive matching by DL and/or UA. IMO, more so by UA, since both will fly from EWR. In addition, this flight will depart EWR quite late in the evening (11:45pm) so it may be more attractive for those that can't make an earlier departure. With a 3:05pm arrival, it will likely require a hotel stay in ATH prior to any ship boarding. The return leaves ATH at 4:40pm, so no need to dash off the ship to catch an early morning flight on UA or DL.

So, even if the EK flight isn't your first choice, it's worth watching to monitor prices - if DL/UA match, you'll know to jump on it.

Thanks for the good info. I just promised my local wine shop owner (who is Greek) that I would let him know if I see some interesting prices to ATH.

Thanks, we've been watching delta prices to Athens (originating either chs or fll but connecting atl or jfk) for a while now for flights this coming summer, and just checked again. didn't see anything more competitive than what we've seen but will continue to watch. We got a fantastic biz price last year on flights to bcn when dl was competing with a BA sale so hoping maybe this news will cause a similar deal to show up!

Wow, I suspect EK have a bit of a death-wish here. The US just elected one of the most protectionist governments ever, and are likely going to find everything in their power to shut down this 5th freedom flight (EWR-ATH-DXB with passenger rights on EWR-ATH). As it wouldn't be covered by the EU-USA bilateral, I believe there has to be additional approvals in order for this sort of flight to happen (there aren't many, CX/YVR-JFK & EK/JFK-MXP are the only two I can think of)

This is very much "a shot across the bow", and I don't think it's going to be well received.