Flying to Port Canaveral questions

murph1031

So I booked our next cruise. Valor from Port Canaveral in Oct. 2015. We will likely drive down to the port from SC, but I was wondering what are my options if we decided to fly? Would Orlando be our best option, and if so how would we get from the airport in Orlando to the port? Would we need to rent a car, I'm assuming yes, or is there a service of some sort that we could use to get to the port?

I would love to hear how other people have made the trip to Port Canaveral by air.

Thanks

Rob

So I booked our next cruise. Valor from Port Canaveral in Oct. 2015. We will likely drive down to the port from SC, but I was wondering what are my options if we decided to fly? Would Orlando be our best option, and if so how would we get from the airport in Orlando to the port? Would we need to rent a car, I'm assuming yes, or is there a service of some sort that we could use to get to the port?

I would love to hear how other people have made the trip to Port Canaveral by air.

Thanks

Rob

Orlando would probably be the best. A lot of people do a one-way car rental. A number of the agencies are in Cape Canaveral and they will shuttle you to the ship when you turn the car in.

If you prefer to book a shuttle......Travelynx, Executive VIP Limo and Cocoa Beach Shuttle would be the three most popular.

MCO is going to be 45-60 minutes away from the port, so allow yourself plenty of time.

We fly into Orlando, rented a car from Avis. Dropped the car off in Cape Canaveral. Avis has a shuttle that picks you up and drops you off. When we returned from cruise, picked up the car in Cape Canaveral and dropped it back off in Orlando. Renting the car, gave us more freedom, and was cheaper than the transportation provided by Carnival

Orlando (MCO) will provide the most nonstop flights. However, Melbourne (MLB) is closer, smaller, convenient, and easy going. But you also have less flights. Either case, you can take a shuttle to the port, either provided by Carnival or a third party, or you can do a one way car rental. A third option is to fly into Orlando Sanford (SFB), but I wouldn't recommend that even to my worst enemies. Most of the flights into SFB are operated by ultra low cost carrier Allegiant Air, which has a pretty dismal satisfaction and on-time record, along with high cancellations and NO interline agreements with any other airline.

We live in Georgia, and it takes us about 7 hours to get to Port Canaveral. Normally we don't fly when we cruise from Port Canaveral. From the moment we leave our driveway until we pull into the port, it saves us maybe 1 hour to fly instead of driving. Wondering if you have a similar timeline since you're coming from neighboring South Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We fly into Orlando, rented a car from Avis. Dropped the car off in Cape Canaveral. Avis has a shuttle that picks you up and drops you off. When we returned from cruise, picked up the car in Cape Canaveral and dropped it back off in Orlando. Renting the car, gave us more freedom, and was cheaper than the transportation provided by Carnival

do you remember what the cost was? I think we might be doing this one way from PC to the airport at the end of our B2B. TIA

You've pretty much been told all your options on how to get from Orlando to the cruiseport in Port Canaveral--cruise ship shuttle, rental car, private shuttle company.

When we flew to Orlando for our cruise out of Port Canaveral, we booked a private shuttle, Travelynx, as there were only 2 in our party. For 2 people, the shuttle was cheaper than renting a car and a lot less hassle. They did a GREAT job getting us to/from Port Canaveral.

You can check the Destinations forum for more info on this topic.

Round trip private sedan is only $200 from Orlando to the port

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have rental cars each way less than half that but we have an early flight in the day before and fly home later in the evening the night we get back . But I'm a bargain hunter on the Budget site lol for our upcoming March cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the replies. Great help as always. Tapi we are seven hours also from the port if we drive.

Rob

If you drive, it's like one stop shopping from point A to point B. No hassle getting to an airport, parking, waiting for a flight, waiting for the luggage, waiting in line for a car, drive to the port, drop off car, get back to embarkation line and doing things in reverse to get home. It's not like flying in from across the country.

We live very near the port and my Son goes to school at Clemson so make the drive a lot. It about 8 hours from Columbia and 10-11 to Clemson. He has flown back on Alligent from GSP to Sanford and there was no problem and it is cheap, if you don't have a lot of bags.

If it was up to me, and I had two or more drivers I would drive it. Less handling of bags, take a break when you want and it can be done in one day, however I would make sure and come down one day before departure. By the time you drive to the airport, park, fly, get bags, rent car and then drive to the port it is going to take as much time as driving. With the price of gas so low I think that driving would be best.