Using Credit Cards on San Juan

ShotsnCruises

For my US cruisers:

Is it safe to use credit cards for shopping and restaurants? Also, is there a transaction fee as in other parts of the Caribbean?

I believe the answer is yes it is safe and no there is no fee because it is US territory. However, it has been several years since visiting and I want to know current perspectives on this.

Thank you

For my US cruisers:

Is it safe to use credit cards for shopping and restaurants? Also, is there a transaction fee as in other parts of the Caribbean?

I believe the answer is yes it is safe and no there is no fee because it is US territory. However, it has been several years since visiting and I want to know current perspectives on this.

Thank you

We used our credit cards there both times we were there (2014 & 2015). We had no problems and we were there for a total of 8 nights. And you are correct no foreign transaction fee as they are a US Territory.

Just recently there pre-cruise and we only used our credit card to book our hotel (Old Town Sheraton)...we shopped and ate in restaurants and used taxi's but we opted to use cash for these.....Just a personal preference.

Did a 10-day vacation in PR this past April/May. Used my credit cards (either my primary AMEX or secondary VISA) everywhere for everything. Well, three exceptions: El Verde BBQ in Rio Grande (very COOL drive-up Puerto Rican BBQ), La Familia Bakery in Rio Grande, and the food trucks lined up at Darsenas Square at night in Old San Juan.

Yes, no foreign transaction fees.

For my US cruisers:

Thank you

iT IS JUST A S Saf ro use credit cards in San Juan as in NYC, Chicago

W or LA :)

Edited by sail7seas