Which Fort Lauderdale hotel?

cruisinatdawn

I've reserved a hotel and my husband has reserved two for the night before our cruise. They can all be canceled, so which one should we keep? We don't need a lot of frills, we basically want somewhere safe, and close enough to get dinner. Best Florida Resort in Lauderdale by the Sea, Rodeway Inn and Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port or LaQuinta Inn Fort Lauderdale Northeast? We are flying in, so we will either have to depend on Shuttles, Uber or possibly renting a car. TIA for any feedback you can give.

Hi! I live in Fort Lauderdale. Either is an ok option but here are my two cents. The rodeway, while closer to the airport and cruise port has nothing around it except the entrance to the highway. It can be loud if you get a room towards the back. But it has a free shuttle. The Laquita has more to offer in walking distance but is much further from the cruise and airport. You will have to confirm that their shuttle will take you back and forth. It is also not directly in the "beach tourist" area of Lauderdale by the sea. Again either are fine but if you want waking dinner options the Laquinta is a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Rodeway Inn is one of the most strongly advised against hotels discussed here. In an industrial neighborhood on the wrong side of I-95 with nothing other than gas station convenience stores walkable to.

That La Quinta property is on a busy urban stretch of US1 (Federal Hwy) though with several franchise restaurants nearby. Whatever you save over the rate of the La Quinta (or other 2-star chain) nearer the airport will be spent on transportation costs whether taxi, uber or rental; you are well out of the range of the shuttle companies that serve FLL/PE area hotels.

L-B-T-S is an oft recommended area if you wish to be away from the denser clusters of motels nearer Port Everglades. Often more affordable and with lots of restaurants and shops in the area. But given how slow traffic can be on A1A a rental car is likely less than the cost of a taxi from FLL and to Port.

Transit time from FLL to those two hotels so far to the north will depend on day of week and time of arrival. If you wish further suggestions supplying that information along with dates and budget (if you have one in mind) will be invaluable.

Edited by fishywood

I've reserved a hotel and my husband has reserved two for the night before our cruise. They can all be canceled, so which one should we keep? We don't need a lot of frills, we basically want somewhere safe, and close enough to get dinner. Best Florida Resort in Lauderdale by the Sea, Rodeway Inn and Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port or LaQuinta Inn Fort Lauderdale Northeast? We are flying in, so we will either have to depend on Shuttles, Uber or possibly renting a car. TIA for any feedback you can give.

None of the above.

Check the rate at Hampton Inn-Plantation.

While they may have a bit higher rate than the three you are holding reservations for, they have a free airport shuttle AND A FREE CRUISE PORT SHUTTLE. By the time you pay for those two shuttles to get to and from the hotels you've listed you can stay in a nice property with a good breakfast that is short walking distance to dozens of restaurants as well as a Total Wine and Publix Grocery Store for your last minutes needs.

Hi! I live in Fort Lauderdale. Either is an ok option but here are my two cents. The rodeway, while closer to the airport and cruise port has nothing around it except the entrance to the highway. It can be loud if you get a room towards the back. But it has a free shuttle. The Laquita has more to offer in walking distance but is much further from the cruise and airport. You will have to confirm that their shuttle will take you back and forth. It is also not directly in the "beach tourist" area of Lauderdale by the sea. Again either are fine but if you want waking dinner options the Laquinta is a better option.

As a local, please could you advise a reasonable hotel for four days pre cruise ? Have read Embassy Suites on 17th Street Causeway recommended by many, but slightly put off by recent bed bugs postings,

Flying in internationally we will not have a hire car, would like to see a few sights, need to eat and would like to be in walking distance of a mall.

Thanks.

As a local, please could you advise a reasonable hotel for four days pre cruise ? Have read Embassy Suites on 17th Street Causeway recommended by many, but slightly put off by recent bed bugs postings,

Flying in internationally we will not have a hire car, would like to see a few sights, need to eat and would like to be in walking distance of a mall.

Thanks.

Don't let the bed bug posting worry you. They're gone.

Hampton Inn - Plantation - Breakfast, Airport and Cruise Port Shuttles, short walk to two malls.

La Quinta - FLL Airport - Breakfast and Airport Shuttle, easy walk to several restaurants and mall

Hyatt House - FLL Airport, Dania Beach - Airport Shuttle, Full kitchens, good breakfast with omelet station and evening reception (Mon-Thurs) light buffet with beer and wine. Short walk to mall

Hyatt Place - FLL Airport, Dania Beach - Airport Shuttle, Breakfast, short walk to mall.

Homewood Suites - FLL Airport/Cruise Port - Airport Shuttle, Breakfast, evening reception-light meal with beer and wine, kitchenettes in every suite, shuttle company on site that can arrange cruise port, Sawgrass Mills Mall and Everglades Airboat Tours. No mall in the area, though.

Bahia Mar Doubletree - Close to the beach with a Water Taxi stop. The Water Taxi will get you to the Galleria Mall, the shops on Las Olas Blvd, sports bars, restaurants, hop on/hop off, day or night.

http://watertaxi.com/

Edited by Lido_Deck

Rodeway is the best on your list. The others are just too far away if you are looking to save money. You should check to see if Hyatt Place is available on Valuetrips for your date.

Don't let the bed bug posting worry you. They're gone.

Hampton Inn - Plantation - Breakfast, Airport and Cruise Port Shuttles, short walk to two malls.

La Quinta - FLL Airport - Breakfast and Airport Shuttle, easy walk to several restaurants and mall

Hyatt House - FLL Airport, Dania Beach - Airport Shuttle, Full kitchens, good breakfast with omelet station and evening reception (Mon-Thurs) light buffet with beer and wine. Short walk to mall

Hyatt Place - FLL Airport, Dania Beach - Airport Shuttle, Breakfast, short walk to mall.

Homewood Suites - FLL Airport/Cruise Port - Airport Shuttle, Breakfast, evening reception-light meal with beer and wine, kitchenettes in every suite, shuttle company on site that can arrange cruise port, Sawgrass Mills Mall and Everglades Airboat Tours. No mall in the area, though.

Bahia Mar Doubletree - Close to the beach with a Water Taxi stop. The Water Taxi will get you to the Galleria Mall, the shops on Las Olas Blvd, sports bars, restaurants, hop on/hop off, day or night.

http://watertaxi.com/

Wow, Lido, did you get a haircut and color your hair ;)

Edited by janetz

We just back from there this week, we stayed at the Hyatt Place that's right behind the Embassy Suites on 17th Street pre-cruise, they charge a flat $2 per room to pick you up or drop you off at the airport. Plenty of food options within walking distance. We have also stayed at the Hampton Inn North on SW 12th Ave, they also pick you up at the airport and have a few food options right next door. They will also call the Rustic Inn shuttle for you which is free and you can get a great dinner there, then the shuttle takes you back to your hotel.

Rodeway is the best on your list. The others are just too far away if you are looking to save money.

Stayed at the Rodeway last winter. Positives: It was a good price. There is a roadhouse type restaurant right beside the hotel. No charge for pickup at the airport or to the port. The rooms are clean. The shuttles, bus or van, to the port, are well organized. Free continental breakfast. Negatives: Two floor hotel with no elevator. The desk staff were less than welcoming. Typical older style hotel/motel. When I checked for our cruise in December, prices were considerably higher, (about $250./night) than we paid.

This basic accommodation is worth about $120/night. At that price we might go back. But only if nothing close to, or even somewhat higher, than that price is available.

Thanks everyone for your input! It really did help. We've made a decision and at this point, I'm comfortable with my choice. I'm going to try to stop thinking about it, so I won't start second guessing myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

??????

You know these forums help many that don't post so it would be nice to share which one you did pick.

I didn't go with any of the 3 on my original list. Went with Hampton Inn-Plantation. I will come back in Feb. and let everyone know if it met our expectations. I have a friend from high school, I haven't seen since our 20 th reunion, who lives in Plantation hoping to maybe connect with her!

I didn't go with any of the 3 on my original list. Went with Hampton Inn-Plantation. I will come back in Feb. and let everyone know if it met our expectations. I have a friend from high school, I haven't seen since our 20 th reunion, who lives in Plantation hoping to maybe connect with her!

We are considering the Hampton Inn-Plantation also for an upcoming cruise with family (January 2018-early planner here). We are Hilton Honors members so have a couple free rooms coming. We are also looking at the Hilton Beach Resort Fort Lauderdale but need to save a few more points to stay in a 2 BDRM suite. There will be 4 adults and 2 children under age 7. Does anyone know if shuttles are free from this location? Will need FLL airport to resort and resort to PE.

We are considering the Hampton Inn-Plantation also for an upcoming cruise with family (January 2018-early planner here). We are Hilton Honors members so have a couple free rooms coming. We are also looking at the Hilton Beach Resort Fort Lauderdale but need to save a few more points to stay in a 2 BDRM suite. There will be 4 adults and 2 children under age 7. Does anyone know if shuttles are free from this location? Will need FLL airport to resort and resort to PE.

No shuttles. You will have to pay both ways. Great hotel, great location...

ROOMS & SUITES

An all-suite hotel, you'll always get more space to relax at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. Our suites, the largest on the beach, all feature stunning views of the ocean, balconies, Italian marble bathrooms with whirlpool baths, and a kitchen or kitchenette

We are considering the Hampton Inn-Plantation Does anyone know if shuttles are free from this location? Will need FLL airport to resort and resort to PE.

Just booked them this afternoon for a stay prior to our cruise in December. Their web page, (below), appears quite explicit about shuttle service.

From Hampton Inn - Plantation web site: "We're conveniently located near I-595, I-75 and I-95, and less than 10 miles from the Fort Lauderdale Airport with a free airport shuttle daily from our hotel in Plantation, FL. Our cruising guests will appreciate our free one-way shuttle to Port Everglades."

Edited by Grimsby

Just booked them this afternoon for a stay prior to our cruise in December. Their web page, (below), appears quite explicit about shuttle service.

From Hampton Inn - Plantation web site: "We're conveniently located near I-595, I-75 and I-95, and less than 10 miles from the Fort Lauderdale Airport with a free airport shuttle daily from our hotel in Plantation, FL. Our cruising guests will appreciate our free one-way shuttle to Port Everglades."

I just spoke with the Hotel..Yes on Airport and Cruise shuttle. The Airport Shuttle is on the hour up and until 11p, You need to call the Hotel however once you land to set up pickup location.

I booked Hampton Inn for April. Looking forward to your review...

• 2 months later...

As promised, here is my experience at Hampton Inn-Plantation. We ended up not needing the airport shuttle, so I can't tell you anything about that. We arrived at the hotel just before 3:00. There were 2 or 3 other families checking in, and it went smoothly. We asked about the cruise shuttle, the 11:00 shuttle was already full. We had 10:00 or 12:00 to chose from. We picked noon.

We got our room and it ended up being a handicap accessible room (I don't think I had requested that) so there was no bathtub. The room nice and had a fridge and microwave.

For dinner, we walked over to the mall and ate at one of several restaurant choices.

Sunday morning, we got up and had breakfast. I can't remember what they had for hot food, but there were a couple of choices, along with the normal hotel breakfast choices. It was quite busy, and I heard someone complain it was too crowded, but it was just what I expected.

After breakfast we decided we needed a few more items for our cruise, so we walked to Target.

We did not pay attention to when check out time was, and at 11:00, they knocked on the door to let us know we needed to be out of our room. We went to the lobby and joined all the other cruisers waiting for the noon shuttle. One van arrived at about 11:40, he had a list of cruisers and which cruise line we were on. He loaded our luggage in order of stops, and we were on the road by noon, another van was taking more cruisers. We were at the port by 12:18, and on the ship with a drink by 1:00! Our driver did say the previous week the traffic was a lot worse and they got behind schedule because of it.

I hope our experience helps, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.