When to book air

Flying to Australia next January , and wondering when is the best time to book the air.
The only useful answer to this question is "When it's cheap".

The more useful thing is to do the research that enables you to tell when it's cheap, and thus allow you to buy at that time.

Hi gullcruiser:

If you are looking to book business or first class seats I would suggest doing so asap as these tend to sell out quickly. If you have FF miles to use, again, get on the phone asap when they come available (if they become available).

Qantas is a great airline along with New Zealand Airlines.

Enjoy planning your trip!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi -

We took Qantas in January for our Solstice cruise. It's the new 2-story Airbus 380 and it was quite nice.

Qantas offers a non-stop fight from Dallas=Ft Worth to Sydney, if you are interested in that. Qantas is part of the one-world partnership with American Airlines, so if you have freq. flyer points, you might look into how many you'd need to get to Sydney.

Also, we signed up for Qantas' frequent flyer program, and one of their first emails was an alert to a sale (which they have frequently).

Hope this is useful to you.

Liz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Best time to book is aprox 170- 200 days out. I am a tA and stats show this is the best time for long haul flights and book on a Tuesday very early in the am

... and book on a Tuesday very early in the am
I would have thought it would be better to book soon after the cheap sale fares have been filed. If you can manage it, preferably before the airline has started marketing the sale so you get in ahead of the crowd.

Hi gullcruiser:

If you are looking to book business or first class seats I would suggest doing so asap as these tend to sell out quickly. If you have FF miles to use, again, get on the phone asap when they come available (if they become available).

Qantas is a great airline along with New Zealand Airlines.

Enjoy planning your trip!

I agree, I have just booked first class on Cathay for my January 2016 world cruise and had to wait until this morning to do the return dates inMay 2016. I did manage to snaffle a special before they closed but the premier classes are already filling as that is high season for us. If you are booking premier class, I would start looking at fares asap.

Air NZ and now my new personal favourite, Cathay are good airlines with high reputations for service etc.

ANZ has/had an AKL to Lax sale the past few days.. I was able to grab two Premium Economy seats including our conection on to LAS for under $1300 pp. Regular Economy was about $700 pp.

those are really good fares, on this side of the pacific, they wanted about 5 times that for premium economy, Definately time to start hunting.