ORD...52 minutes

4FRCruising

Hi

United strikes again and has made major changes to my flights.

Will a 52 minute layover at ORD work (I'm not as fast as I used to be lol). No other reasonable flight choices.

Doing AVP to MIA 9/20/14 with return FLL to AVP 9/28/14.

Might change to do RT FLL if I have to.

Sailing from MIA on the Conquest.

Don't want to think about canceling - only way I got refund last time I had to do that was to have my credit card company dispute.

Won't even look at United as a choice in the future.

Thanks for your input:)

If your stop at ORD is on your outboard flight (your post was a bit confusing), 52 minutes for a transfer is plenty of time.

How great was your change? And, when are you traveling? Are you connecting from a regional jet to the mainline FLL or MIA service? All these factors make a difference.

Outbound flight connecting in ORD to MIA.

Not certain but guessing regional jet since AVP is a small airport Just checked...it is Operated by EXPRESSJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS.

Aircraft: Embraer RJ145

Edited by 4FRCruising

I don't know what airport AVP refers to, but that's neither here nor there.

Since your aircraft is going to be an ERJ145, which is a smaller regional jet, it's likely that it will land on the tarmac near a gate at O'Hare instead of at an actual gate with a jetway. Unless things have changed, that's located on the lower level of Concourse B where the "gate" (more like a pit) for those types of flights is located. That MIGHT eat up a little more time to get to the actual level/concourse from where your connecting flight departs -- Not totally sure.

One thing that WILL eat up time -- The overhead storage on those planes is VERY limited, so unless you're one of the first ones on the plane AND your carry-on is small enough to put in whatever overhead space there is, anything that you would usually put there that wouldn't fit under the seat is tagged at your departure gate and put into the hold. You then have to wait for it to be unloaded onto a cart after you deplane so you can then retrieve it. If you can, you may want to stick with something that will fit under the seat so that you don't have to wait around after you deplane.

Other than those two factors, it should be doable. Your connecting flight might also end up leaving from concourse B. And even if it's concourse C, it's still pretty quick to get from one to the other.

Edited by elycelynne

I don't know what airport AVP refers to, but that's neither here nor there.

You can always use the Airline Codes website. You can find it HERE.

Quite good for both airline and airport codes, as well as for equipment.

Hi

Won't even look at United as a choice in the future.

If your expectation is that other airlines don't change their schedules, you are in for a disappointment. The grass isn't greener. Typically I have 5-6 Delta itineraries lined up at any given time. I manage my trips by checking every weekend (DL adjusts their schedule every week) to verify that nothing has changed. If there is a schedule change that doesn't work, I'm on the phone immediately armed with the alternative that does work.

Good luck!!!

We experience our first plane change in Chicago this past March with United. It was horrible. We had a 57 minute change which would have been easily do-able, except our plane was delayed an hour leaving Toronto since the baggage handlers were on a "slow-down", so our connection left. We were put on one 3 hours later which had delays continually for another 3 hours and didn't guarantee us seats. One of the six of us travelling, almost didn't get on at all (and on the way home, didn't get on). 3 or 4 gate changes later and then boarding and then de-planning (something about not being able to gas up/ something about oxygen) and finally 6 hours late, we arrived at our final destination.

Perhaps United is alright for a non-stop flight -- but they won't be my choice for a connection. They also refused any type of compensation.

If your expectation is that other airlines don't change their schedules, you are in for a disappointment. The grass isn't greener. Typically I have 5-6 Delta itineraries lined up at any given time. I manage my trips by checking every weekend (DL adjusts their schedule every week) to verify that nothing has changed. If there is a schedule change that doesn't work, I'm on the phone immediately armed with the alternative that does work.

I know airlines make changes...but not like the ones I've had with United....

Going from 1:45 p.m. departure with 5:00 p.m. arrival to 4:35 p.m. departure with 10:22 arrival...and now that changed to 3:04 departure with 10:22 p.m. arrival.

Edited by 4FRCruising

Good luck!!!

We experience our first plane change in Chicago this past March with United. It was horrible. We had a 57 minute change which would have been easily do-able, except our plane was delayed an hour leaving Toronto since the baggage handlers were on a "slow-down", so our connection left. We were put on one 3 hours later which had delays continually for another 3 hours and didn't guarantee us seats. One of the six of us travelling, almost didn't get on at all (and on the way home, didn't get on). 3 or 4 gate changes later and then boarding and then de-planning (something about not being able to gas up/ something about oxygen) and finally 6 hours late, we arrived at our final destination.

Perhaps United is alright for a non-stop flight -- but they won't be my choice for a connection. They also refused any type of compensation.

All airlines have these types of issues, not just UA. This could have happened on any airline.

How did you ask for compensation? You should have received something for all of the problems you experienced. Then again, if you aren't planning on flying them again, miles or an e certificate wouldn't be of any use to you anyway.

I know better than to say "never" because those are the types of things that inevitably you need to use the next time. But I'd sure want it to be a direct rather than a connecting United flight.

I used the form available on their website. After a few weeks, they replied that I wasn't entitled to anything since the tickets were used.

I could have followed it up further, but they make it so inconvenient in not being able to reply to their e-mail, I'd have to find another avenue to make my request again, so I dropped it.

I know these things happen all the time, but it was a first for me. I'm just so glad that we flew in the day before. Otherwise we would have missed our cruise.

I know better than to say "never" because those are the types of things that inevitably you need to use the next time. But I'd sure want it to be a direct rather than a connecting United flight.

I used the form available on their website. After a few weeks, they replied that I wasn't entitled to anything since the tickets were used.

I could have followed it up further, but they make it so inconvenient in not being able to reply to their e-mail, I'd have to find another avenue to make my request again, so I dropped it.

I know these things happen all the time, but it was a first for me. I'm just so glad that we flew in the day before. Otherwise we would have missed our cruise.

I will say that, in 2014, the best way to get a hold of an airline is via Twitter. I feel like I'm on a first name basis with the Twitter folks at AA - I bug them fairly often (not overly so, but often) with both good and bad things, and they always get back to me. For example, I mis-connected in DFW a couple months ago and sent them a tweet as we pulled off of the runway. By the time we got to the gate (which, I will say, can be like 10 minutes at DFW), everything was sorted out and fixed. It was great. I have no experience with United's Twitter team though, but AA's is top notch.