Which cabin do you choose and why...

kandj05

[quote name='kandj05']Hello! For those who have been cruising with RCI, how do you choose which level cabin you want?

I know for my DH and I, we like a room with a balcony because you will often find us sitting on it. We may be reading a book, having a drink, looking over the edge, or just relaxing. We also prefer mid ship, if possible.

I also have D+ friends who choose to take the cheapest room available. This allows them the luxury of taking several cruises a year.

What is your criteria when choosing your cabin?

Jackie

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

We're not in the cabin a lot, so we tend to go more toward the lower prices, which generally means inside or OV. We avoid fore cabins due to the motion. If the price difference is not that large, we will sometimes splurge on a balcony. Now that smoking has been banned on balconies, we may splurge more.

[quote name='tamilyn']May be a little off subject, but on the New England/Canada cruises, is it worth the extra money to have a balcony (which is what we usually book) or is it too cool in September or October?[/QUOTE]

You might need a sweater or light jacket. Another potential issue is that the area can be prone to fog, so you might not see much anyway.

[quote name='TheInnocentAge']Yes, the aft balconies are larger, especially if you get a corner aft cabin.

Happy cruising![/QUOTE]

Good post, but its not 100% accurate and this is where the forums are a great help. The hump cabins are a similar example. Not all of them have larger balconies, but some do. I was lucky enough to learn here of one of the hump of Jewel after the aft corner I wanted was unavailable.

[quote name='BillOh']Good post, but its not 100% accurate and this is where the forums are a great help. The hump cabins are a similar example. Not all of them have larger balconies, but some do. I was lucky enough to learn here of one of the hump of Jewel after the aft corner I wanted was unavailable.[/quote]

As far as the hump cabins, they can vary from ship to ship, as the "hump" on some ship classes is constructed differently than on others. On Allure and Oasis, the hump balconies are definitely bigger. Freedom has a kind of curve/hump, but those cabins jut outward without really having much difference in balcony size.

For the aft cabins, it just depends on if we're talking about true aft-facing cabins. Those will [I]usually[/I] have much larger balconies. Sometimes the "aft" description is used for cabins located toward, but not actually at, the back of the ship. They face port or starboard and tend to have normal-sized balconies. A good example are the JS's on deck 8 of Grandeur or Vision. The true aft, wake-facing balconies are considerably bigger than the JS's that face port or starboard.

Won't cruise without a balcony and have made the decision on which week to book based on whether or not we can our beloved aft balcony. I know alot of people love inside cabins but we spend a TON of time on our balcony and I would rather stay home than cruise in an inside cabin.

I'm with you on the aft balcony cabins on most cruise lines! HAL & Princess, not so much. Will be in our first Junior Suite (aft) in Nov on the Explorer and can't wait!

I love the balcony and would choose fewer cruises if I had to make a choice. I need a place to enjoy some peace and quiet, away from the commotion, where I don't have to look for a chair or worry about my stuff.

ME TOO!!! I'm not a people watcher, so hanging out on the pool deck to see the ocean with all the music and activities just doesn't do it for me. I too need time away from people.

My dad, on the other hand, LOVED napping on the upper deck. I didn't see how he slept through all that noise but he said it was the best sleep!

Like you, I would have been worried about my stuff, or WORSE, SNORING OR DROOLING while I was sleep and someone taking a picture or video and posting it online! LOL!!!!

We choose the Royal Suite because we make full use of it and add an inside close by for additional bath or crash pad.

Never a bad experience so far and the time something does not work, the concierge always has an envelope waiting with a discount ready for the next sailing for X % off the entire booking. Very fair always.

ME TOO!!! I'm not a people watcher, so hanging out on the pool deck to see the ocean with all the music and activities just doesn't do it for me. I too need time away from people.

My dad, on the other hand, LOVED napping on the upper deck. I didn't see how he slept through all that noise but he said it was the best sleep!

Like you, I would have been worried about my stuff, or WORSE, SNORING OR DROOLING while I was sleep and someone taking a picture or video and posting it online! LOL!!!!

My DH also loves the rocking of the ship, he states he has a great sleep. Must feel like a baby being rocked by his mother in a carriage! lol

Most of the time we book the cheapest price (mid-ship interior cabin) and watch those price drops like a hawk.

In case there're only price increases, which has barely happened, then I'm comfortable with my mid-ship interior, but I've been able to upgrade about 70% of time to a Balcony / OV for little or no money.

This cruise, we paid for cheapest mid-interior (as always), and they dropped Promenade cabins to the same price, so we've upgraded. In a way it makes our "cruise-waiting time" more exciting and involving. Happy sailings!

Most of the time we book the cheapest price (mid-ship interior cabin) and watch those price drops like a hawk.

This is me as well. Least expensive accessible cabin I can find and then price watch. Strangely enough, the OV is cheaper than inside as far as accessible cabins go this time. I have been able to upgrade each cruise so far for little to no money.........I am hoping I can do the same on this upcoming cruise.

I have never stayed in a balcony cabin before and will not give more than 100.00 total for one as far as upgrading goes. Likely wont happen :)