Silly Question... Air Conditioning

Mauzac

I've posted on First time Cruisers about a surprise cruise I'm planning for my husband and had lots of helpful feedback.

At the moment Seabourn (one of the larger ships) stands out as first choice for a hot weather cruise (I like my research!) and there was just a daft question I wanted to ask...

I've read lots on here and here and there I read that some of the ships are cold (or can be cold) because of airconditioning. Is this the case with Seabourn? I'm a cold bird and just hate being cold. Is it chilly on Seabourn ships? Or is that not the case particularly... I don't mind it being air conditioned, course I don't, it's just that I shiver :eek:

Any feedback greatly appreciated, thank you.

I agree Observation Bar can be quite chilly. The restaurants can also be chilly (especially on warm weather cruises.) I always have a pashmina or jacket for dinner and a light sweater for reading in OB. My DH most always wears a jacket to dinner, even on nights when one is not required.

On the Spirit the Observation Lounge was sufficiently chilly to discourage us from using it - thereby missing the pleasant pre-dinner music.

The theatre was over cooled.

We are going on the Montreal to Boston trip in a couple of weeks. If the Observation Lounge is not warmer we will complain as on that trip we really will NEED to use it.

Tony

I've posted on First time Cruisers about a surprise cruise I'm planning for my husband and had lots of helpful feedback.

At the moment Seabourn (one of the larger ships) stands out as first choice for a hot weather cruise (I like my research!) and there was just a daft question I wanted to ask...

I've read lots on here and here and there I read that some of the ships are cold (or can be cold) because of airconditioning. Is this the case with Seabourn? I'm a cold bird and just hate being cold. Is it chilly on Seabourn ships? Or is that not the case particularly... I don't mind it being air conditioned, course I don't, it's just that I shiver :eek:

Any feedback greatly appreciated, thank you.

On the wee sisters (at least Pride) the Restaurant was generally cold for breakfast, lunch and early dinner. The Observation lounge was cold to hot depending upon outside temperature. The club was fine until crowded at which point I found it a bit hot. I have no idea about the bigger ships however.

Edited by Emperor Norton

"and depends on the internal thermostat"

And the staff who set the thermostat.

Tony

Even if the staff set say the Restaurant thermostat to "Nuclear" for breakfast or lunch - due to the small amount of people present by the time the temps are up the service is over.

Thank you. I was thinking more of my internal thermostat but I get your meaning. :D
I have thin Southern blood but find most of the ladies feel like me. Bare shoulders in any venues where there is air conditioning and you will freeze. Your husband will love it. I ALWAYS either have pashmina or shawl if I do wear a sundress or something because we love to go out on deck after dinner sometimes. If staying inside ALWAYS long sleeves so I don't have to have a shawl always. Also since my husband always wears a coat to dinner in the dining room I often borrow it...If upstairs in casual venus I ask the servers for their blanket/shawls that they always have for cold guests like me and they bring them out to put around my shoulders that get cold even with the long sleeves. In my opinion, the thermostat in the whole ship is set for a man with a jacket. You have to go to some place packed with bodies dancing, etc. to generate enough heat for a woman to be warm!! This is after MANY Seabourn cruises!

In my opinion, the thermostat in the whole ship is set for a man with a jacket.

I think it is set for the staff - like a good deal of modern day restaurants.

Sadly becoming the case for 'background' music in a lot of bars as well, often including Seabourn.

Tony

Edited by T&C Fulham

Thank you redheadednancy, I did wonder if it would be like this. I, like you, must be thin blooded and I would much prefer to be slightly on the warm side as opposed to shivering and covering up. I just remember my first trip to Disney when the children were young, and going out to eat and finding a it like walking into a fridge in a few of the restaurants - us Brits don't have the weather for the aircon to be turned up! :D

I do just wonder why the staff don't see lots of women wrapped up and wonder whether the aircon should be adjusted by a degree or two!

As I go to the Mediterranean to our other home a lot in the summer, I am used to strappy dresses and eating outside, so if this cruise comes off (fingers x'd) I might have to rethink my wardrobe!

Are all cruise lines like this?

"us Brits don't have the weather for the aircon to be turned up! "

Try going to the theatre or lots of restaurants in London !

But, yes I agree, the staff should notice the dominance of shawls and pashminas.

Tony - Fulham

Tony you are right. It's for staff AND men with a jacket. I am sympathetic to staff as they are loaded with warm clothes and moving fast to accommodate guests so they need the air. I have just learned to dress warmly so I am comfortable and ask for blankets, etc. It works. Won't keep me from cruising but I love the natural air and being able to be outside on warm nights. It really is just our destiny as women who love the warm out of doors to have to cover up inside to be warm and accommodate the majority. It's okay but I sure plan my wardrobe accordingly. I even have been known to wear silk long underwear under my long cocktail pantsuit....perfect solution and so comfy. Even long sleeves for women are not warm because of the light fabric that the air blows through.

Anyway, there is always a solution to dress! Have a great trip and I hope it works for you Mauzac! I already have in my suitcase my "layers" for cold London in September before we sail the unpredictable Med. We will have a great time!

The responses highlight one issue that I have found irritating and that is - the Observation Lounge is always too cold. It's probably a function of allowing for greater usage/occupancy and smokers. For these reasons we rarely use it - it's just not comfortable.

I have never found Seabourn so cold that I needed to "bundle up" as my Mom would say, but sure a shawl or cardigan has come in handy. I despise being hot and would much prefer it to be a touch chilly than be fanning myself in the heat.

I think the observation bar is sometimes chilly due to the fact that they probably blast the cold air in there during the day so as it is cool in the evening when the onslaught of pre dinner guests arrive. Same thing with the theater. The theater has hot stage lights and a huge influx of people just after dinner. The theater is full of people who most have just ingested a calorie laden meal and sitting them in a warm theater would end up with a bunch of folks all needing to be tucked in to bed.