Hope HAL Doesn't Follow Suit

Djptcp

We do not like the MDR,and our preference is Pinnacle Grill, Cannaleto, Tamrinnd, or having our dinner on our balcony. I agree with you on your comments and I do see the sur charges in the Pinnacle, caviar? It isn't that good, nor was the Crab legs :( We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam 24 day Barcelona-Venice last summer, and no surcharges, and I requested lobster and steak, asked for a porter house and no problem. I believe you request something different, and you will pay. Still, it is what it is, and if HAL changes venue we will adapt!

3STAR MRINER becoming 4 on next cruise.

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam B2B western/eastern Caribbean sailing 3/15/2015

:confused: Did you order the porterhouse steak in MDR or in Pinnacle?

Porterhouse always used to be on the regular Pinnacle menu. It wasn't a 'special order'.

:confused: Did you order the porterhouse steak in MDR or in Pinnacle?

Porterhouse always used to be on the regular Pinnacle menu. It wasn't a 'special order'.

Your right! BUT it was not on the menu in the Pinnacle last summer, that is why I requested it. Also my FAV is Veal chop, and now it looks like it is no more :(

On an old thread the menu has changed! Also my husband loves rack of lamb, and I am trying to remember if that is off the menu? Sail7seas do you know?

Thanks,

Deeniencinitas

Mine can only make calls -- no pictures, no texting, no voice mail, etc.

People have told me that my cell phone is old fashion.

I still have an old fashion home phone -- can't give that up. Yah -- I remember when we picked up the phone and told the operator what number we needed. So I guess I have moved a little into the modern world.

HeeHee ... you make me feel sooooo tech-up-to-date. MY cell phone gets texts (although we tell everyone it doesn't so they don't do it) AND I get voice mail. :D

Thanks for the giggles!!

Get rid of dining rooms altogether. No restaurants, do lido... keep just one 'burger bar' and one 'pizza bar'.

Put 1000, items on the menu... on the TV. Check the items you want. Some items free for bread, butter, crackers, water and ice. Everything else is priced... reasonable... soup $2, salad $2, steak small $6, big steak $15, tenderloin $25.... you got the idea? Total everything and add 15% tip.

All food in in hot packaged and to your room.... open 24 hours. Quarantee 45 minutes. If you eat outside 'busy' times.... 11 to 2pm and 5 pm and 9 pm.... 10% surcharge. You can even order in advance... eg... fill in the order in the morning and put down a requested dining time. Even you can fill in a form at the Ocean Bar and then have dinner sent to your room when you have finished cocktails.

Ever been on board the old s.s. ROTTERDAM? Now Hotel de Rotterdam. When your breakfast or whatever it comes to a cardboard 'suitcase'... flat package. Upon the cover and your dinner is there and everything. Neat and tidy. Room has a kettle. No coffee problem. When you are finished... close the lid and put out the room or call service.

All you need is a fast elevator from galley going up to each deck. Have a minimum of ten waiters waiting at each deck deck drop place. Easy. Less on staff too!

You can stay in cabin and watch on TV or on your mobile or ipad etc. You don't have to speak to any other passengers.

Best of all..... NO CHARGE FOR CORKAGE... but just two bottles per person per week!

Geese ..... can we get Domino's Pizza via Drone too??????????????? :D

Your right! BUT it was not on the menu in the Pinnacle last summer, that is why I requested it. Also my FAV is Veal chop, and now it looks like it is no more :(

On an old thread the menu has changed! Also my husband loves rack of lamb, and I am trying to remember if that is off the menu? Sail7seas do you know?

Thanks,

Deeniencinitas

What I find interesting is if Porterhouse steaks are off the Pinnacle Menu how did they happen to have them available for special order? I wonder how many would think it could be available even if at extra charge? Who is eating those porterhouse steaks if few know they are available upon request? :D

edited: After I found and posted the menu I think to be the most current, I see Porterhouse steak is still on the menu. :confused:

Edited by sail7seas

Here is what I think is the most current Pinnacle Grill menu:

Previously posted by KK.

THE BEGINNING

TOMATO BROTH WITH SPICY LEMONGRASS CHICKEN

with flavors of kaffir lime and cilantro

LOBSTER BISQUE

crème fraîche and aged cognac

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

CAESAR SALAD

heart of romaine, grated parmesan cheese, garlic

croutons, anchovies and house-made dressing

BEEFSTEAK TOMATO AND BASIL

sliced red onion, pesto, extra virgin

olive oil and balsamic reduction

* STEAK TARTARE

seasoned finely-chopped Double R Ranch beef

accompanied with parsley, cornichon, capers and red onion

JUMBO-LUMP CRAB CAKES

sweet chili-mustard sauce

* OSCIETRA MALOSSOL CAVIAR $45

served on ice with crème fraîche and buckwheat blini

THE GRILL

DOUBLE R RANCH STEAKS

served with your choice of hand-crafted sauce:

sun-dried tomato ° master chef ’s green peppercorn ° béarnaise ° horseradish-mustard ° hollandaise ° maitre d’ garlic butter

* 7OZ. PETITE FILET MIGNON

* 10 OZ. FILET MIGNON

* 23 OZ. PORTERHOUSE

* 12 OZ NEW YORK STRIP STEAK

* 18 OZ. BONE-IN RIB EYE STEAK

* GRILLED COLORADO LAMB CHOPS

spiced apple chutney, fresh mint sauce

* DOUBLE-CUT KUROBUTA PORK CHOP

marinated in rosemary, garlic and pepper vinegar with scallions

ROASTED JIDORI CHICKEN WITH PORCINI MUSHROOMS

cider vinegar jus, forbiden rice cake with quinoa and apricot, mâche salad and toasted pistachio nuts

SEAFOOD

* BROILED ALASKAN KING SALMON

with lemon garlic herb splash

KING CRAB LEGS $20

your choice steamed or broiled served with drawn butter

* CEDAR PLANKED PACIFIC HALIBUT WITH SHRIMP SCAMPI

roasted garlic and cilantro butter

WEST COAST STYLE SEAFOOD CIOPPINO

tomato braised clams, mussels, shrimp, Alaskan crab and halibut

THE VEGETARIAN INTRIGUE

BAKED-STUFFED EGGPLANT

ragoût of zucchini, onion, eggplant and tomato on creamy polenta

WILD MUSHROOM RAVIOLI

in pesto cream sauce

ROASTED PUMPKIN RISOTTO

mascarpone cheese and Swiss chard

SHAREABLE SIDES

wilted spinach - sautéed mushrooms - baby carrots - grilled asparagus

Brussels sprouts with Parmesan and pancetta - classic whipped potatoes - shoestring fries with truffle aïoli

INDIVIDUAL SIDE

jumbo baked Idaho potato

Holland America Line only serves sustainable seafood

THE FINALE

NOT-SO-CLASSIC BAKED ALASKA

Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream with Bing cherries jubilee

WARM GRAND MARNIER CHOCOLATE VOLCANO CAKE

the ultimate chocolate experience

PINNACLE SOUFFLÉ

vanilla soufflé with base of mixed berry compote and finished with molten Drambuie cream truffle

LEMON-BRÛLÉE TART

blueberry whipped cream

CREAMY HOMEMADE RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE

served with fresh berries

FRESH BERRIES

with a Sabayon sauce

PREMIUM ICE CREAM AND SORBET

DAILY CHEESE PLATE

What I find interesting is if Porterhouse steaks are off the Pinnacle Menu how did they happen to have them available for special order? I wonder how many would think it could be available even if at extra charge? Who is eating those porterhouse steaks if few know they are available upon request? :D

Thankyou for the current menu sail7seas. Who knows why the menu did not list it on our cruise last summer. When I asked why, our server said let me see what we can do, and while we were having our Lobster bisque he came back with a smile and said yes it can be arranged. Also surf and turf was shrimp with a filet. That is why I asked if possible could I get a lobster tail. Only sad note, I see my FAV veal chop no more :(

I think with regards to technology, HAL has no choice but to adapt. That's not to say that it will have to do the same as other cruise lines, but I think that it will need to improve its offering. Most passengers will adapt. It wasn't too long ago that we all looked forward to our little blue pouches from HAL, with our boarding passes and tickets included. Now, we don't think twice about printing them off ourselves. Why even bother print them when all you need is to scan a bar code?

Same with your onboard account. Instead of waiting in line to get a hard copy of your folio, imagine being able to simply access it on your personal device? You may even potentially be able to set alerts that could prevent fraudulent charges and avoid over billing.

Or how about having the dailies delivered on your device with the option of selecting your activities and automatically having them added to your calendar?

Edited by cbr663

I certainly hope that HAL will not consider what RCI is planning.

I don't like open seating.

I have no reason to have all those new fancy phones and working with apps. A good old fashion cell phone works for me. Don't even have texting.

I agree with you KK. Don't like to see cell phones at the dinner table. I feel it is extremely rude - as bad as a baseball cap on in the MDR.:)

I think with regards to technology, HAL has no choice but to adapt. That's not to say that it will have to do the same as other cruise lines, but I think that it will need to improve its offering. Most passengers will adapt. It wasn't too long ago that we all looked forward to our little blue pouches from HAL, with our boarding passes and tickets included. Now, we don't think twice about printing them off ourselves. Why even bother print them when all you need is to scan a bar code?

Same with your onboard account. Instead of waiting in line to get a hard copy of your folio, imagine being able to simply access it on your personal device? You may even potentially be able to set alerts that could prevent fraudulent charges and avoid over billing.

Or how about having the dailies delivered on your device with the option of selecting your activities and automatically having them added to your calendar?

I'm another who has no need for all those personal devices. I do just fine with my laptop, my netbook for travel and my flip phone that has served me fine for the three or four times a month I might use it. :) I never give out the number and only one living person knows the number. They know only to call me if I am expecting the call or their message could sit there for weeks unfound. :)

I won't be scanning bar codes or getting daily programs on that cell phone. :D

I can see why fans of fixed dining might not like the new scheme, but I think it's a positive move by Royal Caribbean, mostly because I loathe assigned seating. I don't eat at the same time or with the same people every night at home, and don't see any reason to do so when I'm on vacation. I wouldn't use my cell phone (which sounds a lot like Sail's above) to check dining times, etc. NCL has several electronic boards at various locations on the ship to indicate crowd levels at various restaurants. I'd guess RCI would do the same. All one needs to do is check those, and eat accordingly. They're big ships; there's always going to be someplace to eat. I don't think I'd ever make a reservation bar the unlikely event I'd eat at a specialty restaurant.

I agree! A friend is booked on the Quantum in January. They had problems when they first tried to make dinner reservations--the system kept saying that nothing was available. They called customer service or guest relations or whatever it's called, and were told they could make dining reservations on board. But they're worried that could be too late for them to get times or places that they want. They keep hearing "Oh, just show up and we'll seat you." Anyone wanna believe that???????

That's just what we have done on HAL, Celebrity, Oceania & Royal ... we just show up and have been seated almost immediately. We did have to wait 10 minutes once, but we had a group of six.

Agree. On our recent cruises-NCL, Carnival, Celebrity we never had to wait more than 10 minutes if we did not have a reservation. Celebrity was the best of the three but all were very, very good at getting us in and seated at the size of table that we wanted.

I must admit, as more information is being released about Quantum, the more excited I get. The Dynamic Dining concept looks wonderful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP7S38BS7TE

Eighteen options. No set dinner times, no formal nights. Five complimentary, full serviced main restaurants, from upscale and formal to casual and whimsical. Just check out the menu at The Grand Restaurant, a complimentary restaurant that requires formal attire:

APPETIZERS

PRAWN COCKTAIL

Chilled Jumbo Prawns with Chili-Horseradish Cocktail Sauce

TRADITIONAL LOBSTER BISQUE

Finished with Tarragon Cream

INSALATA CAPRESE BITES

Grape Tomatoes, Bocconcini Mozzarella, Basil Oil and Balsamic Reduction

DUCK PATE TERRINE

Cranberry-Orange Relish, Duck Confit, Toasted Brioche

FRENCH BACON AND EGG SALAD

Poached Egg, Bacon Lardon, Wild Arugula and Dijon dressing

BACON ROASTED SCALLOPS