Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

How are you getting news for the trial? Is the trial on hold right now?

Here is an article that gives some details about how Schettino is off house arrest and able to attend a party in Ischia.

http://www.ibtimes.com/while-costa-concordia-towed-disgraced-captain-schettino-parties-1636894

There is a concise summary of the trial here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Concordia_disaster#cite_ref-263

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/5086/the_costa_concordia_two_and_a_half_years_on

The Costa Concordia: Two-and-a-half years on

Because of the extraordinary length of time a court case in Italy requires, the incident has gone out of the public perception for a bit. But Schettino’s trial is now in progress, along with five crew members. The papers show pictures of him, as part of the evidence, being taken to the wreck.

As news of the stranded ship spread that night, a flotilla of boats set off to help the struggling passengers ashore. Few accounts seem to have mentioned the cool handling and efficient reaction of the coastguard service.

Then there were the divers who, knowing that the ship was perched precariously on a ledge and could shift at any time, nevertheless risked their lives to search for survivors: raw heroism.

Few seem to have recalled the swift action taken to make sure the vessel’s fuel was pumped out, to avoid an environmental disaster.

Few told of the good people of Giglio who took the shipwrecked in and cared for them.

That January night was a shameful one for Francesco Schettino and for Costa Cruise Lines. It was not a shameful one for Italy.

snuz, the trial does have a lot of breaks which will add to the length. It's being held in a theater which did have some bookings for this year and the contracts were honored. I'm assuming there was a break for this week that allowed Schettino to be out of town. My first thought was it probably came about because of the float away. That was a pretty big media event, bringing an end to one part of this disaster.

As to the helmsman, some months ago there was a report that he had been found. Last I heard he was to return to Italy. I haven't done any recent follow ups on him so I don't know what may have happened.

MM, I read the links you provided and had a chuckle with what Schettino had to say about his picture being taken with the women. He claimed they wanted the picture because of the "esteem" they hold for him. Then to state he's been vindicated. One thing the man sure hasn't lost in all this is his ego.

Helmsman:

http://www.vesselfinder.com/news/2002-Costa-Concordia-helmsman-finally-found

http://www.themeditelegraph.com/en/shipping/cruise-and-ferries/2014/04/10/costa-concordia-helmsman-found-Lq0uwiZhtBXHPL3E4OsddJ/index.html

I know these weren't the original papers I read the story in. Can't remember if it was an Italian paper or a British one tho.

Didn't see any update on whether on not he appeared. It would seem it was up to him if he would go back. His country would not force him to do so and I don't know if Italy gov't could.

Looking if there is anything online that could indicate who was captain at a specific date (hard to find when nearly all hits relate to the infamous captain) I found this interesting article.

http://maritimematters.com/2012/01/a-short-history-of-the-costa-concordia/

Luis, I found this same article last night whilst trying to find out who has been Master. It seems to indicate that Schettino was put in charge from the get go. According to the article she started actual service in July, 2006. A bit later it says:

"Captain Francesco Schettino had been with Costa since 2002 beginning as a safety officer. He was promoted to captain in 2006."

So aside from his relief Captain it looks like he's been in command.

Ken, I can't get the video to work. :( Just have a black screen. Hopefully my son will stop in and I can get him to check it.

From my original understanding, they were thinking they could get this done in line with the insurance policy for the ship was around 1 Billion US dollars. After a half year or more, they realized that budget was blown. So they went up to 1.5 Billion US dollars. This is what it ultimately cost to get the ship to Genoa. They are now figuring it will take another half billion dollars to dismantle the ship.

I imagine Titan made a cost plus bid. I.E. we think it will cost this number of dollars but if there are extenuating circumstances we will need to tack on extra billings. I imagine this has been an underlying negotiation that has been on-going behind the scenes.

It would be interesting to see if they ever report on the true cost and if Titan actually made money or lost some. I am sensing it went way beyond what they first indicated it would cost. Who knows if the actual estimate even factored in towing and the other tugs involved. Probably more money than I would ever make in a life time.

It's official, she is gone forever. She is no longer registering on vesselfinder.com It's really sad to see that the ship is no longer showing up. They've obviously shut her down forever.

This is how she is now mentioned on Marine Traffic.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/index/search/all/keyword:costa%20concordia

:(

Has anyone seen any reports of when the ship move will appear on a TV special at all ? i guess that it will include views of the inside of the ship as well as everything that went on with the raising and moving to Genoa.

Hi Everyone I am back.

Thank you all for the great work you all did over the last two weeks. I kept in touch as and when I could and I will spend part of today catching up.

As for my cruise on Costa Deliziosa I am afraid I cannot comment at the moment for legal reasons. If or when I am able to comment I will do it as a separate thread. Needless to say sadly it will not be a recommendation for Costa.

Hi Everyone I am back.

Thank you all for the great work you all did over the last two weeks. I kept in touch as and when I could and I will spend part of today catching up.

As for my cruise on Costa Deliziosa I am afraid I cannot comment at the moment for legal reasons. If or when I am able to comment I will do it as a separate thread. Needless to say sadly it will not be a recommendation for Costa.

Welcome home Clive, you have pricked my interest!

Edited by papcx

Hi Clive ... Sorry to hear that the trip sounds like it was not a good one, our trip on Deliziosa went well but that was a few years ago now.

Has anyone managed to locate a webcam that overlooks the Concordia at all ?

Edited by sidari