St. Petersburg Faberge Museum

cdn.cruiser

we are not sure what to do. I know only we can decide but would like to hear others views.

After a long day sightseeing in St. Petersburg would you return to the ship for a wonderful dinner on the Marina or would you miss the wonderful dinner and stay in st.petersberg and go to see the Faberge Museum with the tour?

Our cncerns are:

We hate to miss the dinner on the ship.

We mighr be too tired to enjoy the museum

We would like to see as much as possible and might regret not seeing the Faberge Museum..

Any help with this decision will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

we are not sure what to do. I know only we can decide but would like to hear others views.

After a long day sightseeing in St. Petersburg would you return to the ship for a wonderful dinner on the Marina or would you miss the wonderful dinner and stay in st.petersberg and go to see the Faberge Museum with the tour?

Our cncerns are:

We would like to see as much as possible and might regret not seeing the Faberge Museum..

Thank you in advance.

My first choice would be to organize a private tour where my tastes set the touring agenda, but if that is not possible, PLEASE push yourself and go to the Faberge Museum!

Oceania's food is wonderful, but in five years you're not going to remember the meal, and you will kick yourself for skipping the Tsars' Easter Eggs.

0011826_690.png

Most private guides can organize a meal in a nice restaurant for you or others on the tour then see the museum

It would be a shame to miss the museum while you are so close

I guess depending on the hours you could always grab a bite to eat after the museum if it closes earlier

If using a private guide ask for their advice

I know if I went back to the ship I would have trouble getting the energy to get off again :D

Our cncerns are:

Thank you in advance.

At 6:00 PM, the museum allows individual tourists to visit without being grouped in a museum-organized tour. This is a good situation because before 6:00 PM, the guides from the museum go at breakneck speed and speak in heavy Russian accents and the groups are large. After 6:00, you can rent an audio guide with the presentation in clear English, go at your own pace and share the gallery with few other visitors.

All the Imperial Eggs are displayed in one room. I believe the audio guide explanation for all the eggs lasts about one hour. You can extend your visit by listening to the guides for each beautiful room of the restored palace, but it's not necessary. You can just admire the rooms without listening to the tape. You'll probably add a bit of time as you walk through the other rooms containing non-imperial objects: picture frames, cigarette cases, and more. The items in these cases are grouped by enamel color. Our private guide got a book that identified each object by number and we could check out things like Faberge technique. We began by doing that but after a while it got quite repetitive. After all, a bright yellow item using "X" technique isn't tremendously different from a peacock blue item also using "X" technique. At somewhat more than 75 minutes, fatigue set in. We'd been on the go since 8:30 AM. In somewhat less than 90 minutes, we re-united with our guide and the driver took us back to the ship. We ate dinner on the ship and went to bed early to be ready for another long day touring St. Petesburg.

Note: The basis of this museum is the Malcolm Forbes collection of eggs. Admittedly, the St Petersburg museum contains other Imperial eggs beyond that nucleus, but not too many. Even if you've seen the Forbes eggs when they were owned by Forbes, the Russian museum is still worth a visit. We had seen the 10 Forbes eggs when they were part of a special show at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (Richmond) collection many years ago. It was still a treat to see them again with few crowds and the excellent audio accompaniment.

Echo everyone's sentiment - don't miss the museum for a dinner on Marina.

In the past one could catch the visiting exhibition of Faberge items in different museums around the world as part of the Forbes collection; now they are mostly in this museum and not likely to travel.

At 6:00 PM, the museum allows individual tourists to visit without being grouped in a museum-organized tour. This is a good situation because before 6:00 PM, the guides from the museum go at breakneck speed and speak in heavy Russian accents and the groups are large. After 6:00, you can rent an audio guide with the presentation in clear English, go at your own pace and share the gallery with few other visitors.

All the Imperial Eggs are displayed in one room. I believe the audio guide explanation for all the eggs lasts about one hour. You can extend your visit by listening to the guides for each beautiful room of the restored palace, but it's not necessary. You can just admire the rooms without listening to the tape. You'll probably add a bit of time as you walk through the other rooms containing non-imperial objects: picture frames, cigarette cases, and more. The items in these cases are grouped by enamel color. Our private guide got a book that identified each object by number and we could check out things like Faberge technique. We began by doing that but after a while it got quite repetitive. After all, a bright yellow item using "X" technique isn't tremendously different from a peacock blue item also using "X" technique. At somewhat more than 75 minutes, fatigue set in. We'd been on the go since 8:30 AM. In somewhat less than 90 minutes, we re-united with our guide and the driver took us back to the ship. We ate dinner on the ship and went to bed early to be ready for another long day touring St. Petesburg.

Note: The basis of this museum is the Malcolm Forbes collection of eggs. Admittedly, the St Petersburg museum contains other Imperial eggs beyond that nucleus, but not too many. Even if you've seen the Forbes eggs when they were owned by Forbes, the Russian museum is still worth a visit. We had seen the 10 Forbes eggs when they were part of a special show at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (Richmond) collection many years ago. It was still a treat to see them again with few crowds and the excellent audio accompaniment.

We did see them at the Malcolm Forbes museum in New York a few years ago and then in St. Pete. last year. Very beautiful. Worth going again. Forbes also had a great toy collection and many other very interesting things. Wonder where the rest of them went?