Mt. Vesuvius & Pompeii Hike

bagof5

Pompeii is great history and fun, wouldn't skip it, one of the highlights of our stop.

Hiking the mountain is a choice one needs to make, if going in the summer realize it will likely be really HOT. We did Pompeii literally when they opened, waited in line 15' for the ticket office to open. 90' into the tour the heat was already crazy and we were happy to be exiting back to our AC vans for the tour of Amalfi.

To do this you give up possible the coast sight seeing. I know when we drove back from the Amalfi we stopped once for really nice view of Naples. I figured I'd likely never get back, hike a mountain or see the coast it was an easy choice, YMMV.

• 4 weeks later...

We are having similar dilemma. Pompeii and Vesuvius or Pompeii and Sorento. My family enjoys the outdoors and hiking, but I have read some disappointing reviews on Vesuvius, ie. dirty, rip off, etc... I would hate to miss the beauty of the coast for a dirty, touristy hike. So is Vesuvius worth giving up on other places to see? Thank you!

Vesuvio is a volcano, what were people expecting? Of course it's dirty, you're walking on loose gravel and volcanic material so it's dusty. The hike up to the top of the grand cone is only one mile but it's steeply uphill for most of that mile. At the top you have to climb over some big rocks. This is not Disney's interpretation of a volcano, it's a volcano.

Like most things in life, if you go into it with appropriately formed expectations you're a lot less likely to be disappointed (or to go at all, if it's not your thing).

I'm not sure how one could feel "ripped off", the park fee is only €10.

http://www.parco****onaledelvesuvio.it/grancono/index.asp

Edited by euro cruiser

If someone complained that a hike up Vesuvius was dirty, I have to wonder what they were expecting! Maybe a Las Vegas-style volcano with gentle, paved paths and eruptions scheduled on the half hour? :confused:

It's "dirty" in that you'll be walking on dirt (actually pumice) and somewhat dusty because the pumice gets ground into gritty pebbles by time and many feet. If it's a clear day, the view from the top is pretty spectacular, and the view into the crater is interesting. The sun can be fierce up there, so wear a hat and take water with you. We did it a few years a go and really enjoyed it, dusty shoes and all. :)

Edited to add: euro_cruiser, we posted at nearly the same time, with nearly the same answer!:p

Edited by lisiamc

People are complaining of large amounts trash littering the ground and no toilets, not the dust. Also, they complain of the junk sellers trying to push their souvenirs, etc... And over charging for water. I was "going into it" with expectations of natural beauty, not large, cramped crowds and litter lining the trail so hopefully we won't be disappointed ;) (We have been to Mt. St. Helens and they have a lovely educational center and it's kept up well.) My original question is what experience have people who have done both preferred, Vesuvius or Sorrento. We are definitely doing Pompeii. Thank you for your perspective!

People are complaining of large amounts trash littering the ground and no toilets, not the dust. Also, they complain of the junk sellers trying to push their souvenirs, etc... And over charging for water. I was "going into it" with expectations of natural beauty, not large, cramped crowds and litter lining the trail so hopefully we won't be disappointed ;) (We have been to Mt. St. Helens and they have a lovely educational center and it's kept up well.) My original question is what experience have people who have done both preferred, Vesuvius or Sorrento. We are definitely doing Pompeii. Thank you for your perspective!

I can't swear there won't be any litter, or crowds, unfortunately. Some of Italy's best places are in danger of receiving too much love from tourists.

I seem to remember toilets being available about half-way up at a cafe, but we didn't use them. It's not such a long excursion that needing a toilet will be inevitable.

I like Sorrento, it's a nice town, but Italy is full of nice towns. If you have to choose between Vesuvius and Sorrento, choose Vesuvius, especially if your son has a strong interest.

Thank you! We will stick with Vesuvius! My kids aren't old enough to know and appreciate charming small towns and would prefer something historic and that they have read about in books. My husband and I will just have to do another trip some day to see the other sites we missed! Thanks for the advice!