Where to find roommates

sjkistler

Hello lovely solo travelers.

I realize that asking for roommates is against forum rules, but can anyone suggest then how you go about it? Is there a forum somewhere else or a website or such? I realize that I can post to other venues, such as my local parents group in my area (MA - since I'm hoping to find someone for last minute cruising), but I'm wondering if there is a discussion somewhere specific to cruising. And, specifically not aimed at singles.

I feel like I've looked everywhere and I'm wondering about people's experiences, how have you found roommates for solo travels if you wanted one?

Appreciatively,

Susan

Hi Susan While I know that finding a room mate is an idea for saving money, I'm one of those frequent solo cruisers who will not share a cabin with a stranger. I'm just too old and set in my ways to hazard doing this, plus the thought of sharing a bathroom with a stranger and knowing I'll have to put up with what could be annoying quirks (I have them too) totally turns me off of stranger cabin sharing. Even if it makes cruising cheaper, there's just too many things that can go wrong that can totally ruin your cruise. That's the reason why cruise lines stopped pairing up solos in cabins---they just didn't want the hassle anymore of cabin mates having major problems with each other.

But if you still want a room mate, you can try and find a travel agency that does singles cruises and pairs you up. Just google singles cruises and see what comes up. You can ask friends, if you're a church person, you can ask there, or if you're still working, you can see if a co-worker wants to cruise.

I would venture to guess that those who post on this board will tell you they do not ever want to share a cabin with a stranger.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

If you're looking at last-minute cruises, you may not end up paying the whole 200% single supplement anyway so not really saving a lot. For example, on the Norwegian Breakaway out of NYC to Bermuda on 9/28, $479 for an inside double occupancy but only $599 if you're single. There might be other deals out of Boston since it's off-season, that was just an example.

There are groups that coordinate travel for groups of singles, and will assign roommates. I have traveled with one a few times, and it's worked out well. Once I had a roommate that I got along with really well, and another time she was fine, but we didn't really gel. We spent little time in our cabin, so essentially didn't have to spend much time with her at all. And overall, the people in the group were a hoot. (Not sure I'm allowed to say what the group I used was, and for the life of me, I have no idea how to send a private message!)

I've considered traveling with that group again - they do cruises as well as land vacations. But after traveling by myself, I'm really spoiled. It would certainly save money, though!

Hello lovely solo travelers.

I realize that asking for roommates is against forum rules, but can anyone suggest then how you go about it? Is there a forum somewhere else or a website or such? I realize that I can post to other venues, such as my local parents group in my area (MA - since I'm hoping to find someone for last minute cruising), but I'm wondering if there is a discussion somewhere specific to cruising. And, specifically not aimed at singles.

I feel like I've looked everywhere and I'm wondering about people's experiences, how have you found roommates for solo travels if you wanted one?

Appreciatively,

Susan

Check out Friendly Planet's website. I believe they help folks find roommates. Good luck!

kitty9, couldn't agree more! :D

I would recommend the last minute bookings also. I booked a cruise with a friend to save on the cabin...now she is not sure she can get off( her employer changed vacation policy without notifying employees). Now its all up in the air as to if she can go or not, we bought to full insurance to cancel for any reason so we may get most of money back. If that's the case I'm watching the last minute discounts for that cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Stupid question, so a solo cabin traveler would be paying the double occupancy price + the gratuities x2 ?

Thinking that would probably be what my mom would want to do if she came with us on a cruise?

No, gratuities are per person. If you're solo, you only pay x1. Only 1x port taxes and fees, too.

Stupid question, so a solo cabin traveler would be paying the double occupancy price + the gratuities x2 ?

Thinking that would probably be what my mom would want to do if she came with us on a cruise?

Most cruise lines, but not all charge you 2times the per person rate. You only pay taxes on 1 person. You only pay tips for 1 person.

You also receive 2 cruise credits for that cruise since you paid for 2 people. Now I won't tell you double credits fit all cruise lines but Princess and the entire Carnival line up does. Good news is you get upgraded status quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Holland America has a matching program. Here's what their website says about:

Holland America Line’s Single Partners Program also provides a way for a solo guest to share a stateroom with another same-sex single, so each pay only the per-person, double occupancy (Signature Fare, Promo LI) rate.

 If a partner is not available, the guest cruises solo at the agreed-upon double-occupancy fare

I've never tried it, so I can't say how well it works. Like many others, I prefer to have my own cabin.