Amalfi Coast Tours - Which type of transport

hjs007

Hi All,

Myself and partner are traveling on the Epic in September. We are planning on booking a private tour from Naples, around the Amalfi coast line.

I have two question from anyone who has done such a tour. We are trying to decide which transport to choose ie a Mercedes Van or a Mercedes car. Some tour companies suggest a van because you get a better view when traveling.

Has anyone any advice or experience. I would prefer a luxury car such as S class merc for comfort etc but obviously want what is best.

Also has anyone experience from tour companies in this region and the vehicles and service they received. I have got prices and they all differ quite a bit.

Thanks in advance

Interesting question. We can try to answer from our own experience of having been on public SITA buses and also from driving our own rental cars (on many occasions). During parts of the drive along the Amalfi Drive between Sorrento and Positano (and also parts of the road all the way to Amalfi if you go that far) there is a strong stone wall that separates the road from the cliff edge (and a long drop). The higher up you sit, the more treacherous (and exciting) the view. People high up on tour buses clearly see over the wall and some find it quite scary. But when I drive a car it is not nearly as scary because the wall does block some of the downward view. Since a Mercedes Van would leave you sitting a bit higher, you might find this part of the ride more exciting. But personally, we have never thought it that much better to a point where we wanted to rent a SUV or large van (keep in mind I have to park the darn thing).

Hank

We've done both a van and a car (both Mercedes) and it really doesn't matter in my opinion…..the views are drop-dead gorgeous either way (no pun intended)

For just 2 people a van seems a bit overkill though……. but for 4 (or more) a van is definitely more comfy :)

As for which tour company we use….. the same one every time we go….. but alas I am not allowed to tell you who it is UNLESS you specifically ask me to….

will await your reply :D

As a side note: we are headed that way again early May 2015 and will use them again (our 5th visit).

We've done both a van and a car (both Mercedes) and it really doesn't matter in my opinion…..the views are drop-dead gorgeous either way (no pun intended)

For just 2 people a van seems a bit overkill though……. but for 4 (or more) a van is definitely more comfy :)

As for which tour company we use….. the same one every time we go….. but alas I am not allowed to tell you who it is UNLESS you specifically ask me to….

will await your reply :D

As a side note: we are headed that way again early May 2015 and will use them again (our 5th visit).

Hi which tour company did you use can I ask ?

Since you asked….. :D

We had the great fortune of using APTours our very first trip to Naples. We did a tour share with 3 other couples on our ship. It was the best day of our cruise.

We have since used them each time we return and even do almost the same tour !!!! They are a breeze to work with during the booking process and they will help you figure out the best itinerary for your day based on what you want to experience. AND the best part is they have priced their tours below the other tour companies saving you money ! Same quality tour - just less $$.

We always do Pompeii first (you could spend a month there and not see it all) with a private guide they arrange (Pina is amazing and Nina was great too) and then we head to the Amalfi coast - perhaps the most beautiful place on earth. Ravello, Amalfi and Positano. Ravello for the views and small village charm, Amalfi for a quick lunch and Positano for a stroll down to the beach and shopping !!!! Then we head to Sorrento where our guide makes sure we get on the right ferry back to Naples. We enjoy the boat ride back and seeing the coast from the water (different view than driving the same area) and the ferry docks very near the ship so just a short walk back….. Long day but a lot of it is riding……. we can't wait to get back next spring as we are taking our son and DIL for their first Med cruise :)

http://www.aptours.it

Any other questions - just ask

Edited by texancruzer

Hi All,

Myself and partner are traveling on the Epic in September. We are planning on booking a private tour from Naples, around the Amalfi coast line.

I have two question from anyone who has done such a tour. We are trying to decide which transport to choose ie a Mercedes Van or a Mercedes car. Some tour companies suggest a van because you get a better view when traveling.

Has anyone any advice or experience. I would prefer a luxury car such as S class merc for comfort etc but obviously want what is best.

Also has anyone experience from tour companies in this region and the vehicles and service they received. I have got prices and they all differ quite a bit.

Thanks in advance

I have recently toured the Coast (beautiful) and we were in a van and if I had a choice I would go with the van because you will have better views.

Keith

We had the great fortune of using APTours our very first trip to Naples. We did a tour share with 3 other couples on our ship. It was the best day of our cruise.

We have since used them each time we return and even do almost the same tour !!!! They are a breeze to work with during the booking process and they will help you figure out the best itinerary for your day based on what you want to experience. AND the best part is they have priced their tours below the other tour companies saving you money ! Same quality tour - just less $$.

We always do Pompeii first (you could spend a month there and not see it all) with a private guide they arrange (Pina is amazing and Nina was great too) and then we head to the Amalfi coast - perhaps the most beautiful place on earth. Ravello, Amalfi and Positano. Ravello for the views and small village charm, Amalfi for a quick lunch and Positano for a stroll down to the beach and shopping !!!! Then we head to Sorrento where our guide makes sure we get on the right ferry back to Naples. We enjoy the boat ride back and seeing the coast from the water (different view than driving the same area) and the ferry docks very near the ship so just a short walk back….. Long day but a lot of it is riding……. we can't wait to get back next spring as we are taking our son and DIL for their first Med cruise :)

I echo texancruzer - we used APT 20 months ago for an Amalfi Coast tour & they were awesome.

Ravello & Positano are breathtaking

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

At a couple of times in this it shows what we used for 8 people. I guess that was a van. Whatever, it was plenty comfortable enough and you get out very 20 minutes or so for photos or when you reach your next destination. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]_lpGhBoXGro[/YOUTUBE]

Another vote for AP Tours. So much better than the most popular tour company and easier to work with. They will make sure you see what you want to see instead of telling you that there isn't enough time and then take you back to the ship an hour early like the most popular tour company did with us. Can't say enough good things about AP Tours. Would use them again for sure. They also happen to be cheaper then the other company but that is not the reason I would go with them again.

We used Aldo Limos. Fantastic day. Pompeii first, the the amalfi coast drive to Positano and then to Sorrento for lunch. We had 2 hrs in Pompeii with private guide, then 2 hrs in Positno to shop and on to Sorrento for lunch. Aldo is fantastic. He was born and raised in Sorrento so knows a lot of history. A long day but the best excursion we have ever taken. There were 8 of us. I would highly recommend him.

• 7 months later...

Hello! I have a few questions regarding the tour you describe above where you took the ferry back to the ship. Was this a tour that you customized with AP Tours? I don't see anything like this on their website. Also, do you make frequent stops along the drive to get out, see the views, take pictures, etc.? And...did you feel that you had enough time in all of these places?

We've been to Pompeii before many years ago, and are trying to decide whether or not to skip it and drive the Amalfi Coast and see some of the towns instead. Hubby keeps talking about renting a car and doing it on our own. However, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that as I'd rather leave the driving to someone familiar with the area (and not trying to sightsee along the way :)). Also, I think we would miss out on conversing with the driver and hearing about the history of the area.

Thanks so much for your help!

Karen

Hello! I have a few questions regarding the tour you describe above where you took the ferry back to the ship. Was this a tour that you customized with AP Tours? I don't see anything like this on their website. Also, do you make frequent stops along the drive to get out, see the views, take pictures, etc.? And...did you feel that you had enough time in all of these places?

We've been to Pompeii before many years ago, and are trying to decide whether or not to skip it and drive the Amalfi Coast and see some of the towns instead. Hubby keeps talking about renting a car and doing it on our own. However, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that as I'd rather leave the driving to someone familiar with the area (and not trying to sightsee along the way :)). Also, I think we would miss out on conversing with the driver and hearing about the history of the area.

Thanks so much for your help!

Karen

If your ship is in port long enough you can do Pompeii and the 3 villages (Ravelo, Amalfi and Positano) then drive to Sorrento to catch the ferry. They will only offer this option if there is enough time. They are very good at helping you figure out your day based on what you want to see, HOW you want to see it and how long your ship is in port. They will honestly tell you what you can and cannot fit in.

You make frequent stops for pictures etc. and they will stop whenever you want as long as it is safe. Many areas of this road you cannot stop. It is a small twisty road - no shoulders etc. But there are areas to pull over for pictures. They also stop at a really nice ceramic factory/store for a bathroom break and its up to you whether you buy or not…… so far I havent gotten out of there without something :eek:

Our itinerary usually starts as soon as we can get off the ship. This puts us at Pompeii just a short time before they open (9am) and we do 2 hours there with a private guide (option at extra cost) You can spend a month at Pompeii and not see it all. Each time we go we see new things (helps to have the same guide) Then to Ravello where we had about 45-50 minutes. That was plenty for us. Down to Amalfi where we had about 1.5 hrs. We opt for a quick lunch here altho last time we did a sit down at La Tagliata which was okay but took too much time for us. We have a little pizza place in Amalfi we like. Then to Positano where again we had about an hour. We usually walk down to the beach and shop our way back up :D Then drive to Sorrento and go straight to the ferry where our guide purchased our tickets and got us on the right ferry.

The ferry ride takes about 35 minutes (+ or -) and docks right near the ship.

There is no way I would drive that….. small roads, big buses and you really need to know the area. Add to that your driver will be in contact with the tour office and will be immediately informed of any delays and will adjust your tour to make ABSOLUTELY sure that you get back on time. We had this happen two trips ago….big fire on the road so it was closed. He had to backtrack a bit and took us on a mountain road back to the highway. We were sad to not get to Positano that trip but hey…… we got back to the ship with plenty of time to spare.

If you look at tour #1 Pompeii and Amalfi coast it has this in purple at the end.

" After your visit we will drive you back to the port of Naples or take advantage of our tour with pick up Naples port, drop off Sorrento Port so you can enjoy the ferry ride back to Naples port, arriving where your cruise ship is docked. Please email for further information and reduced rate."

hope this info helps….. have fun and enjoy the area - it is gorgeous !

Edited by texancruzer