Puerto Vallarta & Cabo: What to do?

spazwok

We're going to be in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo on a HAL cruise in April and none of the shore tours are really jumping out to us. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on things we could do or organise on our own?

We are a married couple in our early 30's from Australia. Cost is not important to us.

Any recommendations would be great. We don't really want to drive if we can avoid it.

Oh yeah that's probably something I should have mentioned. Sorry!

We aren't big adventure people which I think is why the tours aren't really appealing to us. We like to browse around at our own leisure, while still experiencing the city/culture of the place we are at. Not too much shopping, but definitely into food and drink! Hitting up a beach is something we like to do but my husband isn't big on staying at the beach all day, so even just a nice beach to walk along and eat near would be a good option.

Still sounds vague when I read it back, but I guess we are pretty relaxed and want to experience the town without having to zip line or ride a horse to do it :)

If you've ever seen the film "Night of the Iguana" you might be interested in poking around and looking up what's left of the film sets and the houses Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor owned. I saw most it 20 years ago, before it began to be closed up and falling apart. Here's a link to what it looked like in 2012: http://www.puertovallarta.net/fast_facts/puerto-vallarta-a-love-story.php

PV: walk out of the cruise terminal and catch a cab to the Malacon ($6)

Walk south, stop at the cheeky monkey or Oceana (upper level malacon ocean front) for a cool drink

Walk south, stop in the church area and square, take the free walking tour.

Walk South, at the bridge that crosses the river turn left for a short walk into the riverbed jungle with flea market ambiance

Walk south, walk out on the new Los Muertos beach pier, then pick a spot for a cool drink (perhaps beach play banana ride or parasail - $40).

Walk inland from the Los Muertos pier, explore some of the fantastic artsy shopping, perhaps stop at a crowded taco stand, or a 1 hour full body massage ($40)

At 3:45pm ships time (4:45pm local time) catch a cab ($4) up to Casa Isabel for the happy hour sunset (you have to see it to believe it). Tour Casa Isabel

Catch a cab back to the cruise pier ($8).

If you have time, have the cab drop you off at Walmart and tour Walmart Mexicano style. Walk back to ship

Cheeky Monkey

cheeky-monkey-puerto-vallarta.png

Casa Isabel

madison.jpg

Los Muertos Pier

432151729_640.jpg

We have never figured out the best way to answer the "what shall we do" question. DW and I spend 2 months a year living in PV and probably do nothing other then enjoy the atmosphere of the city and its wonderful restaurants. So last October we happened to be on a month long HAL cruise where we had a fabulous dinner table (8 persons). None of our tablemates (4 French Canadians and a couple from Wales) had ever been to PV. The night before we get to PV our table told us (at dinner) that they had decided that DW and I should be their tour guides. So after about 5 seconds of thought we said fine!

We walked our little group out of the port over to the nearest bus stop (not far from the gas station) where we took them all on a bus into town (these buses run about every 2 minutes). Once in town (Centro) we ushered them off the bus at the North end of the city (about 1 block from McDonalds) and walked them down to the Malecon. We then walked downs the entire length of the Malecon (this is PVs main shopping street/boardwalk) stopping at several shops (for the ladies). During the walk we told them about the recent history of the Malecon, some of the art work, the recent rebuild of the street, etc. We walked them through some of the kiosks and shops on the small isle (in the Cujale River) before arriving on the South Side (Romantic District or Old Town) which is the area that we live when in PV. Then we grabbed a table on the beach at the Sea Monkey (owned by an ex New Yorker friend) where everyone enjoyed either dollar Margaritas or dollar beer (Corona or Pacifico) and some snacks. Having been sufficiently fortified with adult beverages we gave them a walking tour of the old town (and the new pier) and finally ended up at a beach location where we could get free chairs/loungers in return for buying our drinks/food. Everyone was so happy that they did not want to leave that location so we simply sat on the beach for a few hours (a few of us went swimming in the sea). Then it was more walking until we all got on a bus that took us back out to the port (near Walmart). So what did we do that day? In our minds nothing...but just take a couple of buses (about 55 cents per ride), have some drinks, eat some food, enjoy the atmosphere, etc. Total cost for our tour was about $1.10 per person plus whatever each person spent on food and drink (no more then $15 per person).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Cabo: Take water taxi over to Medano Beach ($3 + $1 pp) ($3pp back). Walk Medano Beach. Stop in at a resort or a lively bar. Beach Play (jet ski, para-sail)

take water taxi back to cruise pier. walk marina boardwalk and surrounding area. Stop in at Cabo Wabo, and have a taco and cool drink at adjacent Ripps. Walk back to the marina boardwalk and enjoy a waterfront cafe and people watch, slowly meandering your way back to the tender pier. Wait until the tender line is short, and at the last moment take one of the last tender's back to the ship.

Option B STEP'N IT UP: rent a car at Avis Pueblo Bonito Rosa (location Avis KB6 - quick, east, fast - water taxi to it on Medano Beach). Visit Los Cabos, and also tour up to Todos Santos (Eagles Hotel California), stop by Punta Cerrtios on the way back for a cool drink and a self guided hotel tour (WOW)

Punta Cerritos short video we made

Punta Cerritos Hotel View

8665050_19_b.jpg

Edited by bobnsofi

Option B STEP'N IT UP: rent a car at Avis Pueblo Bonito Rosa (location Avis KB6 - quick, east, fast - water taxi to it on Medano Beach).

If Option B is for you, make an Avis reservation online cheap, call Avis to change the location to KB6.

Get off on 1st tender early (figure out how). There are many ways to do this.

Edited by bobnsofi

Oh yeah that's probably something I should have mentioned. Sorry!

We aren't big adventure people which I think is why the tours aren't really appealing to us. We like to browse around at our own leisure, while still experiencing the city/culture of the place we are at. Not too much shopping, but definitely into food and drink! Hitting up a beach is something we like to do but my husband isn't big on staying at the beach all day, so even just a nice beach to walk along and eat near would be a good option.

Still sounds vague when I read it back, but I guess we are pretty relaxed and want to experience the town without having to zip line or ride a horse to do it :)

I believe you will be in Vallarta from 8 AM to 5 PM so cocktails while watching the sunset from a scenic overlook is off the list.

This web site has low commercial content with well maintained local maps: http://vallartainfo.com/

The Malecon, with its southern extension down into Los Muertos Beach, is the primary tourist draw. The Hotel Rosita denotes the north end with the arches/city plaza/cathedral at the mid-point and the Restaurant "La Palapa" at the far south end. Los Muertos beach continues south from that point but you are in the sand vs. on a hard surface. The tourist trap area is toward the north end in the "downtown" area. Primary Flea market is along the north bank of the Cuale River and on the island in the river. The area south of the river is more interesting to Vallarta regulars and is called the southside or old town or zona romantic. Taxi trivia . . . the river is a taxi zone boundary.

If you are interested in experiencing local flavor, consider booking a food tour such as: http://puertovallartafoodtours.com/calendars/puerto-vallarta-walking-tour/ We did their night taco tour last month and it was a great experience.

Most people start at one end of the Malecon and progressively eat/drink/shop their way to the other end. I try to encourage starting at the north end (Hotel Rosita) and finish on the south side on Los Muertos Beach. You are free to use the tables/chairs/umbrellas as long as you order food and/or drink. Linger as long as you want.

Los Muertos Beach north of the municipal pier -

20141123_105530_zps5590e2fb.jpg

Los Muertos Beach south of the municipal pier -

20141123_105621_zpsb1ec5c4e.jpg

This should get you started. If you have any additional questions . . . just ask.

Edited by MSN-Travelers

Thank you so much for these fantastic suggestions. We will work through them on the weekend and come up with a plan of attack. I really appreciate you all taking the time to provide us with some suggestions!!

We went on the Las Caletas Hideaway in PV and it was spectacular! We aren't much for crowds and this was perfect. It was like being on our own private island...the catamaran charter there was about 45 minutes. Beautiful waters...food was great...drinks were included. We were able to scuba dive right off the pier and spent the afternoon reading in the hammock on the beach. The only thing that could have been better was if we had more time on the island. It was truly memorable and not to be missed if you enjoy the beach, water and relaxing.

• 5 weeks later...
PV: walk out of the cruise terminal and catch a cab to the Malacon ($6)

Walk south, stop at the cheeky monkey or Oceana (upper level malacon ocean front) for a cool drink

Walk south, stop in the church area and square, take the free walking tour.

Walk South, at the bridge that crosses the river turn left for a short walk into the riverbed jungle with flea market ambiance

Walk south, walk out on the new Los Muertos beach pier, then pick a spot for a cool drink (perhaps beach play banana ride or parasail - $40).

Walk inland from the Los Muertos pier, explore some of the fantastic artsy shopping, perhaps stop at a crowded taco stand, or a 1 hour full body massage ($40)

At 3:45pm ships time (4:45pm local time) catch a cab ($4) up to Casa Isabel for the happy hour sunset (you have to see it to believe it). Tour Casa Isabel

Catch a cab back to the cruise pier ($8).

If you have time, have the cab drop you off at Walmart and tour Walmart Mexicano style. Walk back to ship

This is just about everything we did when we cruised to PV for NYE this year, except the Walmart thing (I just don't get it :confused:). Definitely recommend going to El Malecon, has just about anything and everything you would be interested in - bars, restaurants, shopping, nice beach, etc. We also took a longer taxi to Nuevo Vallarta (approx. 25 minutes away from port) where all of the new large resorts have been developed. We went to the Hard Rock Resort (we are nerdy collectors) which was absolutely breathtaking. They offer day passes if they are below 85% occupancy for the day.

Wish we had two days in PV bc we only needed one in Cabo - super touristy which is to be expected, we went to Medano beach and hung out at The Office then walked the Marina.

Edited by Krissica

We have never figured out the best way to answer the "what shall we do" question. DW and I spend 2 months a year living in PV and probably do nothing other then enjoy the atmosphere of the city and its wonderful restaurants. So last October we happened to be on a month long HAL cruise where we had a fabulous dinner table (8 persons). None of our tablemates (4 French Canadians and a couple from Wales) had ever been to PV. The night before we get to PV our table told us (at dinner) that they had decided that DW and I should be their tour guides. So after about 5 seconds of thought we said fine!

We walked our little group out of the port over to the nearest bus stop (not far from the gas station) where we took them all on a bus into town (these buses run about every 2 minutes). Once in town (Centro) we ushered them off the bus at the North end of the city (about 1 block from McDonalds) and walked them down to the Malecon. We then walked downs the entire length of the Malecon (this is PVs main shopping street/boardwalk) stopping at several shops (for the ladies). During the walk we told them about the recent history of the Malecon, some of the art work, the recent rebuild of the street, etc. We walked them through some of the kiosks and shops on the small isle (in the Cujale River) before arriving on the South Side (Romantic District or Old Town) which is the area that we live when in PV. Then we grabbed a table on the beach at the Sea Monkey (owned by an ex New Yorker friend) where everyone enjoyed either dollar Margaritas or dollar beer (Corona or Pacifico) and some snacks. Having been sufficiently fortified with adult beverages we gave them a walking tour of the old town (and the new pier) and finally ended up at a beach location where we could get free chairs/loungers in return for buying our drinks/food. Everyone was so happy that they did not want to leave that location so we simply sat on the beach for a few hours (a few of us went swimming in the sea). Then it was more walking until we all got on a bus that took us back out to the port (near Walmart). So what did we do that day? In our minds nothing...but just take a couple of buses (about 55 cents per ride), have some drinks, eat some food, enjoy the atmosphere, etc. Total cost for our tour was about $1.10 per person plus whatever each person spent on food and drink (no more then $15 per person).

Hank

Hank, great post. My bride an I are now at one month a year living in PV, and looking forward to when we can spend 2 or 3. We often spend way too much time at both Sea Monkey, and Cuates y Cuetes (IMO the best fried shrimp in PV). Nothing like toes in the sand, a cold drink in the hand.

• 1 month later...
Hank, do the buses take US$?

Generally Yes, but maybe no :). The bus drivers essentially operate as independent businesses with the drivers responsible for their own rules. Technically the local fare is 7.5 Pesos and they expect Pesos. But if you hand the driver a dollar bill they will usually accept it. Some drivers might let 2 ride for a dollar, others will let one ride for a dollar and some drivers might even give you change. But it is unlikely they would take anything other then a $1. We usually suggest that anyone coming down to Mexico on a cruise get some Pesos at their first port to use for small purchases.

Hank

I definitely recommend the Cheeky Monkey. $1.00 beers and they even had Pacifico Light.

I can't wait to go back in December.

Candi

If you enjoyed the Cheeky Monkey you might also enjoy (even more) the Sea Monkey which is right along the beach in the Southside (Old Town/Romantic Zone). It is owned by the same guy (Troy Valens) and offers the same $1 beers and Margaritas which you can even enjoy on the beach.

Hank

A few questons...

Are cabs easy to find once you are in the Malecon area? Once done with the Malecon I am thinking we may enjoy an early dinner at the Casa Isabel and enjoy the views. We are in port until 7 PM. What time should we go to the restaurant and plan to leave? Is the service pretty quick? And are cabs quckly available there? Do we need reservations?

How long is the walk from the north end of the Malecon down to the river, or south end of the Malecon? I would like to stroll the Malecon to admire the statues, but at least one or two in our small group may not be able to walk too far, especially in the heat. Is there a nice place midway where they could have a cool drink (no stairs) while the rest of us stroll? Is there an elevator at the Cheeky Monkey? If so, where is it located?

Thank you.:)

A few questons...

Are cabs easy to find once you are in the Malecon area? Once done with the Malecon I am thinking we may enjoy an early dinner at the Casa Isabel and enjoy the views. We are in port until 7 PM. What time should we go to the restaurant and plan to leave? Is the service pretty quick? And are cabs quckly available there? Do we need reservations?

How long is the walk from the north end of the Malecon down to the river, or south end of the Malecon? I would like to stroll the Malecon to admire the statues, but at least one or two in our small group may not be able to walk too far, especially in the heat. Is there a nice place midway where they could have a cool drink (no stairs) while the rest of us stroll? Is there an elevator at the Cheeky Monkey? If so, where is it located?

Thank you.:)

Very good questions. Taxis (look for the yellow taxis) are everywhere in Puerto Vallarta and they hang-out at various taxi sites located all over the city. If a taxi is empty they will quickly stop if you just signal. As to Casa Isabel, it is wise to have a reservation during the high season although they will seat you as long as they have room. With a 7pm departure we assume you need to be back onboard by 6:30. In order to be very cautious you would want to be in a taxi leaving Casa Isabel by around 5:30...although under normal circumstances the ride to the port should only take about 20-25 min.

There will not always be taxis hanging out at Casa Isabel so make sure you have them call one for you (they will normally be at the restaurant in less then 10 min). As to walking, from the North end of the Malecon to the River is approximately 2/3 of a mile but you should also cross the pedestrian bridge and enjoy some of the southside Old Town/Romantic Zone. So think it terms of a mile walk. Of course you can make frequent stops for shopping or perhaps an "adult beverage." There are also lots of places to sit along the Malecon and sometimes its fun to just rest and do some people watching.

As to where to stop for "adult beverages" the entire Malecon is lined with bars (and its safe to drink at any of them). A very popular (and inexpensive) place with cruisers (and many of us who live here) is called the Cheeky Monkey. It is located about midway on the Malecon just across the street from the well known "ladder statute." The entrance to the Cheeky Monkey is just off the Malecon on the side street, but once you get to the Ladder Statute just look across the street (on the 2nd and 3rd floor) and it will all be very clear. The Cheeky Monkey is actually owned by an ex pat New Yorker (who no longer lives in NY) and you can get decent beer (Corona, Pacifico) or their version of a Margarita for only $1. They also have some pretty good tasting snacks to go with those drinks. The downside is that you would have to climb up the stairs to the 2nd floor. But alas, there are plenty of ground floor bars. And, if you like the Cheeky Monkey concept you can just walk over the river and about 50 yards past the bridge you will see the "Sea Monkey" which has beach level seating with the same $1 priced drinks.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank is spot on with his information. I would add one other item to pay attention to and that is the possibility the ship's time may be different than Vallarta local time.

Make sure you know if there is a difference and keep your watches on ship's time and do not rely on your cell phone as it will automatically update to local time.

Edited by MSN-Travelers