what restaurants nearby

ranchette

There are lots of them.

Give us some idea on what kind of food you like, and an idea of your budget.

For breakfast, there is a Cafe du Monde in the Riverwalk, which is connected to the Hilton. Breakfast doesn't get much better than that.

There are lots of them.

Give us some idea on what kind of food you like, and an idea of your budget.

For breakfast, there is a Cafe du Monde in the Riverwalk, which is connected to the Hilton. Breakfast doesn't get much better than that.

A great breakfast, huge portions, cheap price (no ambiance except local establishment) ---Hobnobbers 139 Carondelet Steet. Not a tourist destination....locals spot. Our go-to for breakfast pre-cruise.

Thanks for your replies. We like italian or seafood for dinner.

I never have Italian in NOLA. For seafood/Cajun/Creole, possibilities include:

For more high end - Commander's Palace, Brennon's Emeril's, Antoines

For medium/lower end - Maspero's (seafood but good red beans and rice too, Acme Oyster House (long lines but great oysters), Mother's (breakfast and lunch-great po-boys-get debris), Central Grocery (only for their muffalettas). I've never been to Felix's but hear it's as good as Acme but not the long lines.

Traditional Italian is a bit harder to come by in New Orleans. Most Italian places are a fusion Creole-Italian. Venezia on Carrollton Avenue is very good, and just a few doors down from one of the best Italian bakeries/dessert place, Angelo Brocato.

There is a Drago's in the Hilton. Good food, but overpriced, in my opinion.

One of our favorites is Tommy's Cuisine on Tchoupitoulas Street, about six blocks from the Hilton. It is typical New Orleans Creole-Italian, and also has excellent seafood. Try the soft-shell crab. That classic New Orleans dish does not get any better than the one Tommy's serves.

It isn't cheap, but well worth it. Entrees are in the mid-$20's. We usually split one.

There is a menu on their web site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw a post on a thread a while back about a restaurant that rivals Acme for the best raw oysters. Now that we are close to time to cruise (Saturday-YAH), I cannot remember the name of the other restaurant. I think I recall that it was more of a "locals" place which is fine with us...maybe it started with a J? Or maybe not. Absolutely nothing wrong with Acme, but knowing the crowds/line there, would like an alternative. I believe it was in close proximity to Acme as well. Anyone have an idea of the name of the restaurant I'm trying to remember? (And yes I did try to search for the thread before asking ;))

How far is the restaurant from the Hilton Riverside?

It is a little over 1/2 mile, about a 15 minute walk for you. I'm not positive, but it may be possible to take the street car from the Hilton Riverside and get off a block away if walking is an issue. We are staying at Hilton Gardens Inn (corner of Gravier/Carondelet) and plan to go to one of our favorite bars, Lafite's Blacksmith Shop, for voodoo juice (the adult equivalent of a Grapico slushy lol) first . It's about a mile from our hotel and then stop at Felix's on the way back to our hotel which is about 1/2 way back to our hotel. I'm giving this as an example because the DH does NOT like to walk much AT ALL, but doesn't complain about the distance. It's a pretty easy walk IMHO.

My suggestion is Vincent's if you want Italian. You can hop on the St. Charles street car and you will be dropped off practically at their front door. The food is to die for and they do a great job of incorporating fresh gulf seafood. If your idea of Italian is personified by Olive Garden then you won't like it. Don't fill up on bread sticks as the portions are huge and oh so good.

http://www.vincentsitaliancuisine.com/html/menu.html

• 1 month later...

Another vote for Tommy 's Cuisine in the Warehouse District. Also, Irene 's in the FQ. Venezia and Vincent 's are more neighborhood, red-sauce restaurants that will require a short taxi drive.

A place nobody has mentioned--very popular, reasonably priced, and not a tourist in sight--is Tony Angelo 's in Lakeview, which again requires a taxi but which I highly recommend.