hotels in sydney

can anyone suggest a reasonable priced hotel to stay in sydney the night before our cruise, proberly up to about $250, we will get to sydney about 3pm the day before the cruise

If you're boarding at OPT, Holiday Inn at The Rocks is hard to beat, opposite the Terminal from about $225.

I stay in Sydney a lot for work so can recommend a few.

For a really nice night, I would recommend the Shangri La, unsure if in your budget but has a bar at the top with views from the west right over the harbour bridge and opera house thru to the cruise terminal. We are staying here for a night before our next cruise from Sydney as a way to really kick off the holiday in style. Food is very good and i have not been to a bar with a better view of Sydney Icons.

Something closer to the terminal is the Mantra at 2 Bond Street, short walk down George st to the quay, the rooms have kitchen, lounge and bed area so a bit more room. Restaurant has just been reno'd and is not bad value for money.

Swisshotel, whilst closer to the centre of the city, is in the middle of the main shopping area and has some great food options around you.

We also noticed the Hilton, which is also in the middle of the city and close shopping was on special on a room comparison site for around $200 a night, but that was a sunday.

You could also try the Amora, but they seemed to have jacked up the rates recently.

These are some of the main ones I use when in town for business, others will have other options, Sydney is not short of a hotel room, but prices vary depending on when and how you book.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by stevelcqld

We have stayed at The Menzies :) pre cruise, it's a beautiful old hotel in Carrington Street just off George Street and a 10 mins walk to the overseas terminal. We just booked it again post cruise and paid $182 (30 days in advance).

Edited by happysnapper
typo

We've booked a night the Holiday Inn in the Rocks before our cruise in December. Paid around $250 a couple of months back, got a special through Qantas Frequent Flyers, and got a heap load of points too.

Not sure of the quality but we stayed a couple of weeks ago in the Holiday Inn Darling Harbour and was very happy with accommodation there. Being that it is part of IHG (intercontinental Hotels Group) one would think it should be. There are a few others around, I agree with Mic, check out Wotif, Bookings.com, last minute etc. check via map or search by distance from Circular Quay. Good luck.

We are staying 3 nights pre-cruise at the York by Swiss Belhotel. Can any of you give me more details about this hotel. How far from the cruise terminal is it? Also, how far from the train station, and bus stops? We plan to take the train 1 day to the Blue Mountains. Also, we want to take the bus to the beach. How far is it from Circular Quay? From the airport, would it be best for us to take a taxi, hire a private car, or take the train? We are very mobile and used to bringing our luggage along with us. We will each have a carry on and a large suitcase. Thanking you all in advance. We can't wait to come to Australia for our first visit!

We are staying 3 nights pre-cruise at the York by Swiss Belhotel. Can any of you give me more details about this hotel. How far from the cruise terminal is it? Also, how far from the train station, and bus stops? We plan to take the train 1 day to the Blue Mountains. Also, we want to take the bus to the beach. How far is it from Circular Quay? From the airport, would it be best for us to take a taxi, hire a private car, or take the train? We are very mobile and used to bringing our luggage along with us. We will each have a carry on and a large suitcase. Thanking you all in advance. We can't wait to come to Australia for our first visit!

You're about a 10 min walk from Circular Quay, depending how fit you are and how fast you walk.

You'll be about a 2 min walk to Wynyard Station which is on the City Circle line, I am fairly certain you will have to change at Central or Strathfield Station for the Blue Mountain line, but you will need to check this, though I will have a look and get back to you.

You will get a bus in George Street, which is one street from York Street.

Which beach are you looking to go to, you can get the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly, or the Train from Martin Place, maybe a 5 min walk, to Bondi. Both are nice beaches, Bondi probably the more famous.

Is your cruise leaving from White Bay or the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay?

Edited by GUT2407

See the map attached, it has your hotel marked, The OPT is by Circular Quay approx. by the word 'Old' for the Holiday Inn Old Sydney. Martin Place is around 15 mins walk from the hotel but a train from Wynyard Station 2mins away is also an option.

1315279982_Sydneymap.jpg.8d1987eba8c6076e8fbf93a7074ba01c.jpg

...you can get the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly...

I would recommend the ferry to Manly and back. Did it on my first visit to Sydney and it really is a fantastic way to see the harbor. It's also pretty cheap.

I'll admit though, I haven't been to Bondi. I guess because it's "famous" and pretty busy...same as not drinking Fosters perhaps :p

Edited by Hazydavo

I would recommend the ferry to Manly and back. Did it on my first visit to Sydney and it really is a fantastic way to see the harbor. It's also pretty cheap.

I'll admit though, I haven't been to Bondi. I guess because it's "famous" and pretty busy...same as not drinking Fosters perhaps :p

NO No no

wrong Wrong WRONG

You don't drink Fosters because to quote the great Mick Dundee when talking about eating Goanna "it tastes like sh.."

Well, they serve it on Radiance OTS and Rhapsody OTS...in a large can, I think they call it an "oil can".

What like the old 750ml cans.

When I was young [a long long long time ago] we had two types of large cans one was like an ordinary can but twice as tall, the other the same height as a normal can but fat, could barely get my hand around it.

What like the old 750ml cans.

When I was young [a long long long time ago] we had two types of large cans one was like an ordinary can but twice as tall, the other the same height as a normal can but fat, could barely get my hand around it.

Well not sure how many mls it is (coz I didn't have one!) but reckon you'd probably get a couple of schooners out of it. Was pretty good value too I think, around $8 US. Yeah, I remember the tall ones :) It's the fat one, but if I recall correctly I think it may've even been a little taller than a standard can...as well as fat!

Well not sure how many mls it is (coz I didn't have one!) but reckon you'd probably get a couple of schooners out of it. Was pretty good value too I think, around $8 US. Yeah, I remember the tall ones :) It's the fat one, but if I recall correctly I think it may've even been a little taller than a standard can...as well as fat!

Yep two schooeys would be about 750ml.

Wonder why I remember those cans so well???:confused::rolleyes:

Well it should be OS only.

In fact I didn't even know that they still made it.

Yes, still living it large in the US and Europe. I can't think why.:rolleyes:

When we were in Mexico, the guy told us that Corona was the Mexican version of Fosters. No locals will drink it so it is for the export market only. :eek:

Edited by MicCanberra