Our First Cruise

DadTheBigKid

Firstly Hello everyone.

It is our 25th Wedding Anniversary next May and we have been wondering what to do. We have three older kids so it is just us and we now have some spare cash so......

My Wife first muted the idea of a cruise which initially I was not sure about. However now I am like a kid before Xmas and its still a year away!

We are flying from UK to have 4 nights in New York then sailing back on the QM2.

we have booked a sheltered balcony on the 5th deck midships.

I am looking forward to conversing and would ask.

Where Is best place to gather information on the QM2 and what other cruises in the year ahead a mid 50 year old man and his wife of 7 years younger may enjoy?

I did a silly quiz with Cruise.co.uk and it suggested Fred Olsen.

Oh and we booked with Anthony on cruise.co.uk

Sorry I am soooooo excited...:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We are about to sail on our 18th cruise in 80 days, and we still get as excited as you are.

The best place for all things Cunard is the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to Cunard, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Please be aware we are not allowed to name or discuss Travel Agents. Your comments may get edited, or removed.

If you are asking about seeing schedules or prices, the first place I look is the website for the cruise line involved. After that, you can look around the internet for on line travel agents or use a local agent. We can't tell you this place, or that website is the "best" place.

Edited by CruiserBruce

what other cruises in the year ahead a mid 50 year old man and his wife of 7 years younger may enjoy?

The choices are wide open. The first thing you need to decide is what you want out of your cruise. And then where you want to go to accomplish it. And how long it will take. You might check out http://www.cruisetimetables.com. If you have a particular port or country you would like to sail from, choose that place from the first list of ports, and then choose the month you want to travvel, and it will tell you who sails from there, and their itineraries. If you have a particular place you want to visit, choose that place from the second list of ports, again the time, and it will tell you who calls there and their itineraries.

I'm afraid that website may make you feel like a kid emptying his Christmas stocking...EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Um....you may have noticed that most people in that quiz got the result Fred O or Oceania....there's a big difference between the two...:rolleyes:

You're probably looking at cruising from the south coast, Southampton mainly....perhaps you should try some of the larger ships to prepare you for the QM2. We keep an eye open for last minute cruises, because we can go at any time, anywhere, any ship....and can be ready in less than a week.

People on here will all have their favourites, but we prefer a large ship with an indoor pool when leaving S'ton, and at the moment our choice is Ventura, QM2, Celebrity Eclipse, or Anthem OTS, which is brand new and still a little pricey.

That's just us- your needs may be different. :)

Just a thought: Since you are sailing west to east, be sure to get a cabin on the starboard (right) side of the ship...it's warmer on the south (sunny) side.

Indigo, we have cabin 5143 as it was recommended for coming back (W-E) , on the ship looking forward this is the left!

we initially got a connecting room on same side but changed it.

Um....you may have noticed that most people in that quiz got the result Fred O or Oceania....there's a big difference between the two...:rolleyes:

You're probably looking at cruising from the south coast, Southampton mainly....perhaps you should try some of the larger ships to prepare you for the QM2. We keep an eye open for last minute cruises, because we can go at any time, anywhere, any ship....and can be ready in less than a week.

People on here will all have their favourites, but we prefer a large ship with an indoor pool when leaving S'ton, and at the moment our choice is Ventura, QM2, Celebrity Eclipse, or Anthem OTS, which is brand new and still a little pricey.

That's just us- your needs may be different. :)

Jocap

thank you for your thoughts. we will not be sailing before the QM2 and as its our 25th Anniversary my Wife really fancied this way of getting back from New York. It is quite a big ship for out first cruise but after spending quite a few hours looking at videos and sites like this I am happy.

We are not really "tuxedo" people but we are looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Going forward the only thing I do not fancy on a cruise , and this is going to sound stupid, is too much getting off and on. This appeals as we fly to New York for 4 days and get a floating Hotel home..sounds daft perhaps and we will know more after it but I believe we will look at similar in the future.

Nice to chat by the way.

My friend has just had her first ever cruise, also on the QM2, followed by 2 weeks with relatives in the US. She wants to come and see me, and talk cruising, because she's driving everyone mad with it...One of the best holidays ever!

Did you see Bank Holiday Monday, with the 3 Queens in Liverpool? Quite moving.

Hello there, DadTheBigKid!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your forthcoming anniversary.

Have a look at http://www.beyondships.com - it has photo tours of lots of cruise ships, including Cunard's.

I'd love to do a transatlantic from New York to Southampton. Have you been to NY before? We went this time last year and fell totally in love with the place.

All the best,

Rob.

If you don't like the idea of constantly getting on/off the ship, I'm not sure the Med or Baltic would be for you. I loved every minute of my Baltic cruise but it was port intensive and I'm glad I didn't pick it for my *first* cruise while I was still finding my feet.

Maybe a Norwegian Fjords cruise would suit you? They normally last 7 or 8 days with three or four calls at port and the rest sea days or scenic cruising through the fjords (stunning scenery). Another advantage is the ship normally docks right in town or very close by, so you would not have to book excursions and be tied to time, but suit yourself and stay ashore only as long as you want.

Check which lines sail from you closest port(s) and if any have itineraries that grab you. P&O are probably closest to Cunard in feel, but if you get the cruise bug you may have to try the lot :D