First Timer -- First ? of Many (I imagine)

Simbar

Hello all,

My husband and I haven't been on a vacation in a few years and are planning our first cruise with our daughter who will be 8 when we cruise for April 2016. Right now we are leaning heavily towards Royal Caribbean's Brillance of the Seas ship which will be going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I have been reading these boards for a few days and I have found a lot of helpful information (thanks to all), but had a question pop in my mind that I am not sure of the answer to.

To play it safe, we are considering getting passports. When I look on the State Department's website they also have the option of a passport card. What is the difference and would a passport card be acceptable? My husband is leaning towards he and I getting full blown passprts and our daughter a passport card.

Can someone explain the difference and steer me towards what woudl be best.

Thanks in advance.

Now off to read more wisdom.

Hello all,

My husband and I haven't been on a vacation in a few years and are planning our first cruise with our daughter who will be 8 when we cruise for April 2016. Right now we are leaning heavily towards Royal Caribbean's Brillance of the Seas ship which will be going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I have been reading these boards for a few days and I have found a lot of helpful information (thanks to all), but had a question pop in my mind that I am not sure of the answer to.

To play it safe, we are considering getting passports. When I look on the State Department's website they also have the option of a passport card. What is the difference and would a passport card be acceptable? My husband is leaning towards he and I getting full blown passprts and our daughter a passport card.

Thanks in advance.

The difference between the card and book is the card can only be used for land and sea travel. It can not be used for flying in and out of the country. We have used the card for years now. But, since DW and I are getting older now we are getting the book for the next one in case an emergency arises on our next cruise in November.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Technically, since closed-loop Caribbean cruises generally don't require passports of U.S. citizens, the main reason people get passports is so that in case of emergency you can catch a flight out of a foreign country back to the U.S. If you have passports but your daughter only has a passport card - that sort of defeats the purpose.

EVERYONE who is traveling together needs the SAME documentation..card or passport. a passport has much more flexibility. the card is only of limited use( no air travel at all)

This is not correct, many families travel with different forms of documentation. In fact on this particular cruise she could get by with only a birth certificate.

We travel a lot so we all have Passports, however that is our preference.

Just to be sure, the passport card is intended primarily for those who frequently drive (or walk) across the north or south border (to/from Canada or Mexico).

For Caribbean, Alaska and Hawaii cruises, a birth certificate will suffice for the cruise.

However, as has been previously mentioned, if something happens that requires air travel from or to any foreign city, a passport is now a required document.

And most importantly, because you'll return from the cruise ready to sign up for many more cruises in the future, having a passport (booklet form) issued now will be the best idea just because that's something you don't need to mess with later.

Passports are very easy to obtain; you can get the application form at any US Post Office.

One more point. It's always a good idea to talk with the cruise line people to ascertain exactly what documentation is needed. Even if you booked with a travel agent, the cruise line is still happy to cover all details directly with every passenger.

This is not correct, many families travel with different forms of documentation. In fact on this particular cruise she could get by with only a birth certificate.

We travel a lot so we all have Passports, however that is our preference.

I was referring the fact that if the family must leave the cruise early, they ALL need to have identical IDs. a card for daughter but reg passports for the 'rents would only lead to delays if they needed to leave the cruise early and fly back since the daughter's card would not allow for it.. they would need to get assistance from the Embassy or Consulate.

it is far better for everyone to have the same documentation, even if they all do just go with the cards if they never plan on flying internationally

To play it safe, we are considering getting passports. When I look on the State Department's website they also have the option of a passport card. What is the difference and would a passport card be acceptable? My husband is leaning towards he and I getting full blown passprts and our daughter a passport card..

a passport card will work the same as a Birth certificate, drivers license.

if you have to get a passport-- get the book.,

but know you can cruise with a state issued birth certificate and a drivers license. your child will not need a photo id until they are 16

To the OP simbar: in a thread that is now closed you mentioned what if you had to cancel your cruise. That is one of the reasons to purchase trip insurance.

I recommend getting it from a third party not from cruise line. Your coverage will be better. If you go to insuremytrip.com or phone them you can get lots of information.

There is also an insurance forum on CC.