Suggestions for Costa Maya for Mitsugirly

mitsugirly

Welp, looks like we'll be heading back to Costa Maya in November and I'm already trying to look for places to go.

This time we will be on NCL, so at least we'll have most of the day there (from 8-5pm). Last trip there, we were on Carnival (and they leave at 2pm, which doesn't give us a lot of time there to adventure far).

We really didn't care for the malecon last time we were there (and really only picked it because of the time limitations). So not really looking to go to any of the places along there.

We love Maya Chan and the service there...just don't really care for the water.

Absolutely love the gorgeous beach and sand of Almaplena and would LOVE to find some place just like this.

You don't hear a lot of people on here talking about any other places than those located along the malecon or Maya Chan. Are there any other places out there that have the nice crystal clear blue water and secluded beach area like Almaplena? I just hate returning over and over to the same place when there has to be other places out there to experience.

Thoughts and suggestions? :)

It's further south than Maya Chan but look at Maya Palms. Divers give this a good thumbs up. They have a beach getaway, but seems a bit more expensive than MC NK or Almaplena.

http://www.mayapalms.com/beachgetaway.htm

But other than to an excursion/rental car tot eh Blue Lagoon in Bacalar or take one of Native Choices Maya ruins tours, you're pretty much stuck with the same old-same old in Costa Maya.

I was also going to suggest Maya Palms, or perhaps Maya Luna to research. I haven't been to either but seem to remember them being mentioned more years back before the hurricane. I believe they are all on the same stretch as Maya Chan and Almaplena.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 months later...
Go Rogue:eek::D ... do a ruins tour with Native Choice instead of the same ole same ole beach. Something different and your daughter may enjoy the native culture Ivan and David try to immerse you in.

I just....I just can't. The ruins just absolutely do not excite me at this moment. I just think it would be the most boring trip ever. I'm pretty sure Sakari wouldn't enjoy it either. We are both beach people and I could go to a beach at every port and be perfectly happy. :( I showed her a picture of the ruins and she had the funniest face and said "I want to go to the beach." LOL

I can't remember if it was north or south of the pier but I read some people hire a cab and explore the beach for 30 or 40 miles...lots of secluded beaches and good shelling....I think the direction is towards belieze....

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I would want to be stuck in the cab all day driving from place to place. We like to get to where we're going and just stay put. LOL

I'm really thinking I have no choice but to go back to either Maya Chan or Almaplena. I just don't know what to do. :(

I just....I just can't. The ruins just absolutely do not excite me at this moment. I just think it would be the most boring trip ever. I'm pretty sure Sakari wouldn't enjoy it either. We are both beach people and I could go to a beach at every port and be perfectly happy. :( I showed her a picture of the ruins and she had the funniest face and said "I want to go to the beach." LOL

Sounds like my DW!! :D:rolleyes:

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I would want to be stuck in the cab all day driving from place to place. We like to get to where we're going and just stay put. LOL

And indeed you would spend a lot of time driving south and stopping a nice looking beaches with few or no facilities. Even heading to the Blue Lagoon will have you in a car or taxi over half the time you're in port.

I'm really thinking I have no choice but to go back to either Maya Chan or Almaplena. I just don't know what to do. :(

Based on your comments, you're probably right. If you're not planning on returning to the Western beaches anytime soon, maybe a "farewell" visit to either of these resorts, and it sounds to me like you folks enjoyed Almapena better, would be a nice way to wrap up your memories of CM. It's no "crime" to return to beaches, no unwritten rule that you have to do something new every time. For any of the ports on your itinerary, go to where you've had the best time in the past and enjoy the cruise versus fretting over whether or not a place will compare to other places you've been or things you've done.

Just my 2 cents, discounted for inflation.:p

Based on your comments, you're probably right. If you're not planning on returning to the Western beaches anytime soon, maybe a "farewell" visit to either of these resorts, and it sounds to me like you folks enjoyed Almapena better, would be a nice way to wrap up your memories of CM. It's no "crime" to return to beaches, no unwritten rule that you have to do something new every time. For any of the ports on your itinerary, go to where you've had the best time in the past and enjoy the cruise versus fretting over whether or not a place will compare to other places you've been or things you've done.

Just my 2 cents, discounted for inflation.:p

Yea, I guess I will have to revisit one or the other. We absolutely love Maya Chan, the service, the sectioned off private areas, the staff and the food...to die for. It's just the water was the only issue there.

We love Almaplena for the water and it's just so beautiful there. The food was so-so and the family is nice.

Ugh, decisions. We do have friends from previous cruises that will be cruising with us again this time. I know they are going to Maya Chan, so maybe I will just book with them. It's been awhile.

Have things changed at Maya Chan since the last time the water tore the place up? I know they were cleaning up and redoing it after that. Just wondering if it's actually "different" now compared to when I went. When I see small pictures here and there it's hard to tell, but a few things look to be different. It doesn't look as "secluded" in the private areas as I remember. :confused:

What's going on at Maya Chan??? I can never seem to connect to their webcam.

I have been wondering the same thing. The web came hasn't been working for me for awhile either. :(

Your remote options are limited because there are not many and the transportation back into town, not out, is never comfortable enough for most. Places like Maya Chan and Almaplena have that worked out but most of the others do not and you are on your own. Hotel Castillo is a mile or so past Maya Chan and they have a beautiful beach and restaurant bar. They probably have a way to get taxis and you can check with them. Kabana is a cabana hotel with small restaurant and bar but again, not sure how you get a guaranteed return cab. Mayan Beach Garden, about a half hour north in Placer is also a nice place with a restaurant and also beautiful beaches. Nothing else out that way except all the larger foreign owned homes. Nice area. Just get a taxi and keep him for the day is the best. Here is a blog with all the taxi rates to the different areas and hourly rates to just rent a driver. A small 4 person sedan is $300 pesos about $25 an hour but you can probably get an all day rate even better. http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/how-to-use-the-taxis-in-mahahual-mexico/

Otherwise, you might look at some of the hotels on the south side of downtown, past the end of the malecon on the sand beach road. There is about 90% less traffic from the ships and the hotels are very small so their beaches are never crowded. You are in town but you feel almost remote. Hotel Luna de Plata has a very good restaurant/bar if you want to eat full meals and I think Arenas and Canas del Doctor also have smaller restaurants. All have web sites and use email so send them a note. More sea grass but great beaches and much better snorkeling than along the malecon. Good luck!

Your remote options are limited because there are not many and the transportation back into town, not out, is never comfortable enough for most. Places like Maya Chan and Almaplena have that worked out but most of the others do not and you are on your own. Hotel Castillo is a mile or so past Maya Chan and they have a beautiful beach and restaurant bar. They probably have a way to get taxis and you can check with them. Kabana is a cabana hotel with small restaurant and bar but again, not sure how you get a guaranteed return cab. Mayan Beach Garden, about a half hour north in Placer is also a nice place with a restaurant and also beautiful beaches. Nothing else out that way except all the larger foreign owned homes. Nice area. Just get a taxi and keep him for the day is the best. Here is a blog with all the taxi rates to the different areas and hourly rates to just rent a driver. A small 4 person sedan is $300 pesos about $25 an hour but you can probably get an all day rate even better. http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/how-to-use-the-taxis-in-mahahual-mexico/

Otherwise, you might look at some of the hotels on the south side of downtown, past the end of the malecon on the sand beach road. There is about 90% less traffic from the ships and the hotels are very small so their beaches are never crowded. You are in town but you feel almost remote. Hotel Luna de Plata has a very good restaurant/bar if you want to eat full meals and I think Arenas and Canas del Doctor also have smaller restaurants. All have web sites and use email so send them a note. More sea grass but great beaches and much better snorkeling than along the malecon. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the info. I'm looking it up on google and on google earth.

Hotel Castillo looks nice. I did find a video on it online and it looks beautiful. There was only 1 post that I found on TA from a NCL cruiser that went there for a day and they had positive things to say about the place. :)

Kabahna-hmmm, I did find several pictures and reviews, but it doesn't look as interesting as Castillo.

Mayan Beach Garden-might be a little too far for us? :confused:

We're not really interested in hiring a cab to keep all day. We like to find a place and stay put. I don't really enjoy being in a cab for the most part of the day and riding too far. So it would kind of be a waste.

Hotel Luna de Plata-when I google earth it, it looks like it's right outside the compound at the cruise port and not on a beach of any sort?

I couldn't find Canas del Doctor.

You said better snorkeling than at the Malecon (which to me didn't really have "snorkeling", but a few fish here and there). What kind of snorkeling? How deep in the water there? Is it right from the beach?

Thanks so much for the info. I'm still researching everything you suggested and more. :D

The places you have been too, Almaplena and Maya Chan are both set up to do higher volume restaurant business. These other places, except for Luna de Plata, are smaller restaurant operations that are more for very slow volume hotel guests who are in no hurry, so be aware of that. You have seen two of the better service places in the area and not all are as fast or professional even. But that does not make them bad and most I have been to are pretty good. If you are wanting a beach, drinks and light snackes, all are pretty good. If you want to eat full meals, in that area south of town, Luna de Plata is the one. Italian owned and that is the food they serve. Caribo-Italian! They are not right outside the port but about 3-400 yards south of No Hoch Kay. Here is a blog with links to 3 of the hotels including Luna de Plata.

http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/195/

As for the snorkeling, about 50 yards past No Hoch Kay, there is a deep water inlet and to the south of that inlet, everything changes. Past the pier I assume you saw when there. The reef is a bit further out and the water about 50 yards off shore is a few feet deeper but not much. It is the first 50 yards or so in that area that has the sea grass but unless the tide is very low, you can scoot over it easily and the snorkeling there is really good. There is a very detailed posting on that same blog about snorkeling the area. Beaches are sandy and the hotels have nice enough beach furniture.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your dilemma-we have been to Maya Chan four times.

The last time (January) the water was OK. There was not alot of sea grass and we enjoyed it. I think some of it depends on winds and current. They do try to rake the beach and keep the grass away but I do not see this area of Costa Maya with better options overall. The food and service are great and I would try another place but until I read about happy visitors, we will stay with MC.

We floated around in their chair tubes and had a great day.

I do wish someone would fix the roads though. I may lose a kidney on the next visit!

Here is a blog with links to 3 of the hotels including Luna de Plata.

http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/195/

As for the snorkeling, about 50 yards past No Hoch Kay, there is a deep water inlet and to the south of that inlet, everything changes. Past the pier I assume you saw when there. The reef is a bit further out and the water about 50 yards off shore is a few feet deeper but not much. It is the first 50 yards or so in that area that has the sea grass but unless the tide is very low, you can scoot over it easily and the snorkeling there is really good. There is a very detailed posting on that same blog about snorkeling the area. Beaches are sandy and the hotels have nice enough beach furniture.

I did check out the Arena on there and thought it looked pretty nice, then after researching pictures on it, I found that it has the hotel on one side of the road and then you cross the road to a small little beach with the chairs (which looked lovely). But still, after bringing up a lot of pictures of the place, it's still not a pretty ocean area because of the sea grass. I don't mind sea grass (you can find some interesting things like rays and starfish in there), but I just don't like the color. :( It's just a turn off to me.

I understand your dilemma-we have been to Maya Chan four times.

The last time (January) the water was OK. There was not alot of sea grass and we enjoyed it. I think some of it depends on winds and current. They do try to rake the beach and keep the grass away but I do not see this area of Costa Maya with better options overall. The food and service are great and I would try another place but until I read about happy visitors, we will stay with MC.

We floated around in their chair tubes and had a great day.

I do wish someone would fix the roads though. I may lose a kidney on the next visit!

The only better option I have found in Costa Maya is Almaplena. No sea grass there and the place is beautiful...including the crystal blue clear water. I loved it there. I was just trying to find something similar to that place that I haven't been to before. It just doesn't look likes it's going to happen. :( You should check it out. I did a complete review of it (located in my signature line) with TONS of pictures...if you ever want to go somewhere new that is. :)

I did check out the Arena on there and thought it looked pretty nice, then after researching pictures on it, I found that it has the hotel on one side of the road and then you cross the road to a small little beach with the chairs (which looked lovely). But still, after bringing up a lot of pictures of the place, it's still not a pretty ocean area because of the sea grass. I don't mind sea grass (you can find some interesting things like rays and starfish in there), but I just don't like the color. :( It's just a turn off to me.

The only better option I have found in Costa Maya is Almaplena. No sea grass there and the place is beautiful...including the crystal blue clear water. I loved it there. I was just trying to find something similar to that place that I haven't been to before. It just doesn't look likes it's going to happen. :( You should check it out. I did a complete review of it (located in my signature line) with TONS of pictures...if you ever want to go somewhere new that is. :)

Thanks and I will look at it again. One thing I did not like (that could have changed) is that I could not see shady areas. I cannot stay in the sun for the whole time.

I hope that you find something and post here if you do!

Have you considered Tropicante? We were originally going to go there last month but had to change to the ruins at the last minute since our ships Cozumel ruins trip got cancelled.

If we ever get to Costa Maya again we will likely just go this option. No admission, food seems reasonable and for small amount they will arrange for a snorkel trip off a boat. The water looks decent for swimming too.

Have you considered Tropicante? We were originally going to go there last month but had to change to the ruins at the last minute since our ships Cozumel ruins trip got cancelled.

If we ever get to Costa Maya again we will likely just go this option. No admission, food seems reasonable and for small amount they will arrange for a snorkel trip off a boat. The water looks decent for swimming too.

No, I really haven't consider Tropicante because they are located on the Malecon and I really don't care too much for the beach and water there at the Malecon. :)

No, I really haven't consider Tropicante because they are located on the Malecon and I really don't care too much for the beach and water there at the Malecon. :)

Here is another link from the previously quoted website which describes a little more about the area you are considering

http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/remote-beach-trips-in-costa-maya-mahahual/

And maybe some more help with snorkeling?

http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/how-to-snorkel-costa-mayamahahual/

Seems like Steve at Tropicante may be the one to provide more information or contact info for hotel Castillo?

Here is another link from the previously quoted website which describes a little more about the area you are considering

http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/remote-beach-trips-in-costa-maya-mahahual/

And maybe some more help with snorkeling?

http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/how-to-snorkel-costa-mayamahahual/

Seems like Steve at Tropicante may be the one to provide more information or contact info for hotel Castillo?

Yes, I did find that page the other day, but I still don't see any info on the place I'm looking for (other than the picture and saying you can stop by). But, I just feel weird about just "showing up". I wish there was a way to contact them and get an AI price like the other cruiser on TA did. :(

The snorkeling there isn't really too much of a concern of mine. I just like the clear blue water and not the brown murky stuff. If snorkeling is there, then it's just an added plus. I always take my own gear and take a look around just to see. I have found some interesting things by doing that in a "non-snorkeling" area and have found things I have never seen before too. :D

That article showed this picture when talking about the down town, 3 minute ride to the malecon.

picture-014.jpg

THIS is the water I want to see. If this place is on the Malecon, then someone needs to point me in the right direction because it did not look like that down by Nohoch Kay. You almost couldn't even swim down there because of the mounds of sand and sea grass. My husband walked way out there and it was still only up around his ankles. I had a good laugh watching people get in the canoe and try to get off the beach area with no luck because it wasn't deep enough.

I have taken a closer look at the Malecon by "taking a stroll" on the beach and the road using google earth. Then I have looked up various places along there. By looking at the following picture, it looks like there is an opening in the ocean/beach area, but I can't figure out what place is located there. It's the block that says "beach" and located on the block between yaya and Tropicante. Anyone know what is located on this block? I just may have to take a closer look at Tropicante or yaya. :p

malecon_zps9cd7ba02.jpg

Can anyone tell me if the water along this area is a little deeper than ankle/knee deep? I'm not looking for "deep" water since I have a little one, but I would like to be able to swim some without dragging my belly on the bottom or on sea grass. :p

Hotel Castillo is owned by an older couple, very nice people, and not sure they do much internet. You can walk up no problem. The beach is one of the best. The downside is that you never know what the restaurant is serving that day. Low volume places like that inventory small so you choices might be limited. If you like seafood, you'll be fine. The other problem is transport. Getting a taxi from the port is easy, but getting a return is not. They are about a $25 taxi each way but not sure you want to trust a driver to return. They are far enough out that few taxis would just happen by so you need to get a round trip??? the area you noted with the arrows is the area next to the soccer field. Tell a taxi to drop you at the football field. Those places are Tapas, Faro, Big Mama's, Green Iguana and the Delphin. not sure you can contact these guys either, but all do walk up and you can find plenty about them on CC boards. The beach photo you posted is actually taken from the Tropicante's balcony. I've been on that one, as well as the one next door at Faro. The sign in the lower corner was there several years ago, about 4 I think?? and was in front of El Faro next door. I know Steve and Luis both and they both live above their places. That stretch from a half block north of your Tropicante arrow, to about your south arrow, is the best downtown beach area. No rocks or sea grass and the water gets gradually to about 6' deep about halfway to the reef. Not much coral but great water and sand. I don't recall other names of the places north of the Tropicante, but there are a few and their beaches are good and like your photo for the entire next block. Gets rocky north of that. Very shallow after your south arrow.

Hotel Castillo is owned by an older couple, very nice people, and not sure they do much internet. You can walk up no problem. The beach is one of the best. The downside is that you never know what the restaurant is serving that day. Low volume places like that inventory small so you choices might be limited. If you like seafood, you'll be fine. The other problem is transport. Getting a taxi from the port is easy, but getting a return is not. They are about a $25 taxi each way but not sure you want to trust a driver to return. They are far enough out that few taxis would just happen by so you need to get a round trip??? the area you noted with the arrows is the area next to the soccer field. Tell a taxi to drop you at the football field. Those places are Tapas, Faro, Big Mama's, Green Iguana and the Delphin. not sure you can contact these guys either, but all do walk up and you can find plenty about them on CC boards. The beach photo you posted is actually taken from the Tropicante's balcony. I've been on that one, as well as the one next door at Faro. The sign in the lower corner was there several years ago, about 4 I think?? and was in front of El Faro next door. I know Steve and Luis both and they both live above their places. That stretch from a half block north of your Tropicante arrow, to about your south arrow, is the best downtown beach area. No rocks or sea grass and the water gets gradually to about 6' deep about halfway to the reef. Not much coral but great water and sand. I don't recall other names of the places north of the Tropicante, but there are a few and their beaches are good and like your photo for the entire next block. Gets rocky north of that. Very shallow after your south arrow.

Wow, thanks so much for the info. I'm going to go back and look at the photo and area on google earth again and try to locate all of these places you names and see what I can find out about them online.

The person that I have been talking to about Hotel Castillo wrote me this last night:

I remember well the place you are asking about. It was booked through the dune buggy tour off Celebrity Equinox. I would not go there again. While I was taking photos my wife was reading in a lounge chair. The beach being in the middle of the jungle she was bit by insects and had to see the Dr board ship and a dermatologist at home. Bad infection all over her body for months. I suggest you go to Bora Bora.

Now it kinda has me worried. I don't know if the main reason they didn't like the place was because of the bugs or if there's more to it. I personally know that you can get the no-see-ums at ANY place at ANY time. Last time we were at Maya Chan (and even at the port that time), we were ate alive by bugs. However, we have never experienced any of that. So, I'm not as worried about the bugs since you can never really tell if they will be there on any particular day. Then of course you mentioned the taxi situation, which could become a problem. :(

Check the ATV tour. They were going to Hotel castillo last year. Not sure if they still do. That might be done through the cruise line now there??

That's how to other person I was talking to ended up there. We can't do an ATV tour ourselves since we have a little one.

I THINK I FOUND MY PLACE....please let me know if you know anything about this place.

BLUE BAY. It looks to be right at the start of the malecon? Maybe right by the lighthouse? I have found a bunch of pictures online (and it looks like a place people stay there and rent cabanas...kind of like camping). The grounds look amazing and the sand and water look amazing as well. They do have a day pass as well.

Check out THIS link for some pictures I found of it. If it really looks anything like this...I'm definitely going there.

blue-bay-mahahual.jpg

blue-bay-mahahual.jpg

blue-bay-mahahual.jpg

102316551.jpg

102316476.jpg

From the looks of it, it's really close to the ship.

100923018.jpg

I mean the place looks really nice. I'm just having a hard time trying to figure this place out though. You can tell it's there either on the Malecon or very near since there's a lot of pictures out there that show the ships docked in the background.

I assume if it's on the Malecon that the "camping" part is on one side and you walk across the malecon to get to the beach area? Although I remember my trip there last time and can't picture how there would be enough room for camping on that little strip between the malecon and the road. I have found numerous pictures and post saying "park your RV here" as well...so it has to be big enough for that. Is it possible that the actual camping is on the other side of the lighthouse or something?

The one thing that is bothering me is your comment " there are a few and their beaches are good and like your photo for the entire next block. Gets rocky north of that." When I go on google earth and pull down to the street onto the beach area, I can see all the rocks there along the side and in the water at the location that it says this place is at. However, you can obviously tell from the photos that are posted online that there are no rocks along the beach and the sand looks amazing. Any thoughts?