British Airways - forthcoming new baggage allowances

Globaliser

For those of you who are flying on British Airways, they are bringing in new baggage allowances. Cabin baggage rules change on 5 July 2006, and checked baggage rules change on 11 October 2006.

A PDF leaflet (about 305 KB) is available here.

The full text of the announced changes is here:-

New simpler baggage policies - Major changes announced

British Airways is introducing changes to baggage policies to make them easier for passengers, reduce queues at the airport and to bring them in line with UK Department for Transport recommendations and requirements of the UK’s main airport operator, BAA.

The new policies will bring changes to hand, checked and excess baggage allowances and will be phased in from early July 2006 across the airline’s global network.

Hand baggage allowances … changing from 5 July 2006

The hand baggage policy will be the first to change from 5 July 2006.

All passengers will be able to carry one standard-sized bag and one briefcase, laptop computer bag or equivalent on all flights.

The maximum size of the bag, 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) has been set in line with the UK Department for Transport recommendations. Passengers must be able to lift their bag unaided into the aircraft overhead locker.

The briefcase, laptop computer bag or equivalent must fit under the seat in front.

Free checked baggage allowances

A single allowance system based on the number of bags that can be checked in will be introduced from 11 October 2006.

FIRST, Club World, Club Europe and World Traveller Plus

Passengers will be able to check two bags into the aircraft hold free of charge.

World Traveller*, Euro Traveller and UK Domestic

Passengers will be able to check one bag into the aircraft hold free of charge.

icon_blue_arrow.gif Infants will be allowed to check one bag, plus a collapsible baby buggy, into the aircraft hold free of charge in all classes on all routes.

icon_blue_arrow.gif For any connecting journey, the most generous allowance will apply.

icon_blue_arrow.gif Passengers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge in addition to their checked baggage allowance.

icon_blue_arrow.gif A maximum bag weight of 23kgs (50lbs) will apply to all bags.

*World Traveller passengers travelling to or from the US, Canada, Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will continue to be allowed two checked bags in line with the local government regulations.

Excess baggage charges

Excess baggage charges will be standardised across the network from 11 October 2006.

All baggage in excess of free checked baggage allowances will be charged at a fixed fee depending on the length of the journey.

From 12 July 2006, passengers who pre-pay online for their excess baggage will receive a 20% discount on airport charges.

Where passengers are transferring flights, a single charge based on the longest flight will apply.

Maximum weight and size

British Airways will not accept any item of baggage that weighs more than 23kgs (50lbs) or oversized items exceeding 2.4m x 0.75m x 0.75m (94in x 29in x 29in).

Advance notification is required 24 hours before departure for exceptional items that weigh between 23kgs - 45Kgs * (50 - 90lbs) and which cannot be repacked e.g. musical instruments, electrical wheelchairs, some sporting items, TV news cameras, commercial spares.

Pets

British Airways will no longer be able to carry pets as baggage. In future, these will only be carried as cargo.

The effect for most CC members will simply be a reduction to 23 kg (50 lbs) per piece, in line with the changes that have already been made by some other carriers. (This is because the two pieces per person rule has been retained for US/Canadian routes, amongst others.) But note that the single bag limit is simultaneously being reduced to 23 kg.

Unfortunately, the cabin baggage allowance is being increased. For most of us regular BA economy passengers, that will reduce the attraction of flying BA.:mad:

There are still some unanswered questions, but these are matters of detail which will probably get worked out over time.

Gloabaliser,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm flying in September so the checked baggage rule won't affect me. But it's nice to know that my backpack is within the parameters of the new hand baggage rules.

Passengers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge in addition to their checked baggage allowance.

I forsee a lot of golf bags stuffed full of clothes and toiletries. I wonder how many clubs you would have to carry to qualify as "sporting equipment"??

... no flexibitlity on the 50 pound limit ... not even a surcharge. Either they take it or they won't. WoW.

I suspect it has to do with the baggage handlers & safety.

Have you seen some of those bags people take to Europe ...must be 200 lbs:D

I suspect it has to do with the baggage handlers & safety.

Alaska airline was one of the first in the USA to go to a 50 lb free allowance. They claimed that it was for the benefit of the baggage handlers and to reduce claims. Now, I just have a couple of problems with that argument:

1) If so, then why do they still accept bags over 50 pounds?

2) If it is really for the "employees", are the fees for the overweight bags going into a dedicated fund to offset workers-comp claims?

IMO, it's just another grab for cash in the USA. At least BA has a certain "honesty" to their regs.

I'm still rooting for the golf bags.....

I forsee a lot of golf bags stuffed full of clothes and toiletries. I wonder how many clubs you would have to carry to qualify as "sporting equipment"??
:D

But I have bad news.

From somewhere familiar to you:-

What are the key changes to sporting goods?

All customers will be allowed to check in their respective free checked baggage allowance PLUS one additional item of sports equipment from the list below:

Snow and skiing equipment

Ski bag and boot bag allowed

Snowboards and boot bag allowed

Golf Equipment

A golf bag containing clubs and a pair of golf shoes allowed

Fishing equipment

The Rod & tackle bags are allowed

Bicycles

A single seat touring non motorised bicycle

Surfboards

Surfboards will be allowed as one bag as long as they do not exceed the maximum dimension (Sporting goods must not exceed max T5 OOG dimensions 2.4m x 0.75m x 0.75m)

Windsurfer sets

Windsurfer sets comprise of board, sail & spare plus mast are all considered as one bag and will be accepted as long as they do not exceed the maximum dimensions (as above)

Diving equipment kit

Diving equipment kit comprises of facemask, pair of fins, pressure gauge, regulator, safety vest, snorkel, tanks and weights belt, snorkel,

NB Sporting goods weighing over 23kg will require pre-notification. E.g. diving equipment up to a maximum weight of 45kgs and the cylinder must empty to ensure safe handling

Hang gliders

Hang gliders are unlikely to be with in the maximum dimensions (see above) but if they are will be counted as one bag

Firearms

Sporting guns/firearms will continue to be accepted as sporting goods – considered as one bag no charge and no change to current handling process

:D

What are the key changes to sporting goods?

All customers will be allowed to check in their respective free checked baggage allowance PLUS one additional item of sports equipment from the list below:

Snow and skiing equipment

Ski bag and boot bag allowed

Snowboards and boot bag allowed

Golf Equipment

A golf bag containing clubs and a pair of golf shoes allowed

Fishing equipment

The Rod & tackle bags are allowed

Bicycles

A single seat touring non motorised bicycle

Surfboards

Surfboards will be allowed as one bag as long as they do not exceed the maximum dimension (Sporting goods must not exceed max T5 OOG dimensions 2.4m x 0.75m x 0.75m)

Windsurfer sets

Windsurfer sets comprise of board, sail & spare plus mast are all considered as one bag and will be accepted as long as they do not exceed the maximum dimensions (as above)

Diving equipment kit

Diving equipment kit comprises of facemask, pair of fins, pressure gauge, regulator, safety vest, snorkel, tanks and weights belt, snorkel,

NB Sporting goods weighing over 23kg will require pre-notification. E.g. diving equipment up to a maximum weight of 45kgs and the cylinder must empty to ensure safe handling

Hang gliders

Hang gliders are unlikely to be with in the maximum dimensions (see above) but if they are will be counted as one bag

Firearms

Sporting guns/firearms will continue to be accepted as sporting goods – considered as one bag no charge and no change to current handling process

Tennis, anyone???? Hellooo!

This will really affect those going for long cruises, or long land trips. For my cruises I cannot pack just one bag, also weight is a consideration, I would rather have two smaller lighter bags than one heavy monster.

IMO it would have made more sense from the handler point of view to reduce the weight and allow two lighter bags.

This will really affect those going for long cruises, or long land trips. For my cruises I cannot pack just one bag, also weight is a consideration, I would rather have two smaller lighter bags than one heavy monster.

IMO it would have made more sense from the handler point of view to reduce the weight and allow two lighter bags.

If you're starting from the US, which most CC member will be, you will still be able to bring two bags. But with the start of the new rules, neither can weigh more than 23 kg. There's a line (easily missed) in the article that says:-
World Traveller passengers travelling to or from the US, Canada, Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will continue to be allowed two checked bags in line with the local government regulations.

If you're starting from the US, which most CC member will be, you will still be able to bring two bags. But with the start of the new rules, neither can weigh more than 23 kg. There's a line (easily missed) in the article that says:-

I knew it-as soon as AA went to 50# per bag, it was only a matter of time before BA went too. AA now has the advantage, as you can still check TWO bags, even on the lowest class ticket. World Traveller upgrade costs more than shipping your excess luggage to London and return. MaxJet is looking better and better.

AA now has the advantage, as you can still check TWO bags, even on the lowest class ticket. World Traveller upgrade costs more than shipping your excess luggage to London and return.
No, "World Traveller" is plain vanilla economy. So it's still the same as AA - across the Atlantic, it'll be two bags at 23 kg each.

The only difference may be that 23 kg is going to be the new single bag limit as well.

But in any case, these changes will come in after the main summer travel season this year - 11 October 2006.

I think you're probably thinking about World Traveller Plus, the premium economy product. Of course, if you pay for the upgrade to that, you get much more than the extra baggage allowance - that's just icing on the cake.

RE: British Airways baggage allowances. I guess they thought they simplified the rules, but, not enough for me!

"A maximum bag weight of 23kgs (50lbs) will apply to all bags"

Does this mean that I can't have one bag weighing 25lbs and another weighing 26lbs (equaling 51 pounds for all bags) or that each bag must be below 50lbs?

"A maximum bag weight of 23kgs (50lbs) will apply to all bags"

Does this mean that I can't have one bag weighing 25lbs and another weighing 26lbs (equaling 51 pounds for all bags) or that each bag must be below 50lbs?

Welcome to CC, martinimadam!

The weight limit of 23 kg is for each bag. If you're entitled to two bags, each of them can weigh up to 23 kg.

For anyone who's already booked but is flying after 11 October 2006, I've seen it posted elsewhere today that the current allowances will continue to apply to anyone who had a reservation made before the policy was announced, and who is ticketed by 10 October 2006. (Ticketed means exactly that. Having a confirmed reservation and a booking reference is not enough. You must have a ticket number as well.)

In addition, I have also heard it said that a maximum single bag limit of 23 kg will be introduced across the EU in the near future. This will apply to all airlines operating to or within the EU. No further details about time scale, at the moment.

Had no idea how I was going to get all my stuff in under 50lbs! Thanks, Globalizer. Now I can go shopping! This board is sure full of great information. Have to admit, I've been a lurker for a while. Wouldn't you know a wardrobe question would pull me into the mix!:D

• 2 months later...

A British Airways announcement yesterday, which may help some people travelling in the next few months:-

Delay to the implementation of checked and excess baggage policy

Summary

Following the introduction of new hand baggage restrictions by the UK Department for Transport, the decision has been taken to delay the implementation of the checked and excess baggage policy.

The new policy, announced in June, was due to be implemented from October 11, 2006, but will now be launched when we are clearer on the longer-term plans for hand baggage restrictions for all airlines in the UK and around the world.

We believe it is prudent to delay the launch so that we can undertake a full review of the policy, in light of the UK government's restrictions on hand baggage. This will allow us to understand fully the implications for the changes we had planned for our checked baggage allowances and excess baggage charges.

More information

We continue to work closely with the DfT and BAA to manage the implementation of the new hand baggage restrictions for customers departing UK airports and to ensure that we have a robust and sustainable long-term solution.

Cabin baggage restrictions continue to apply when departing from UK airports - you need to look at the BA website or that of the appropriate airport for details near the time of your flight (they're liable to change at very short notice).

Archived