Question about Celebrity and them cruises

Hoosiermama

I saw a 70's musical theme cruise for March 2018 on Celebrity Summit that would interest my husband and myself. We are 64 years old. Our son and daughter-in-law love music and were interested in going on this cruise too. They wanted to bring their 3 year old and 1 year old. I tried to book 2 connecting rooms for this cruise, knowing we would act as babysitters. The travel company handling this cruise would not allow the children on this cruise.

We have gone on other theme cruises with the kids and had no problems. There were always kids on board, and even the entertainers brought their families and children. Since most of the 70's entertainers on this particular cruise are at least 60, or 70, I didn't think it would be too ruckus, and some of the musicians would bring children and grandchildren. I'm just surprised legally, this could be an option for the travel company.

Celebrity is NO WAY at fault for this, we LOVE Celebrity and will continue to be loyal to them. I can see a singles cruise or gay cruise, or whatever saying kids would not be welcomed, but a cruise with music? Where the musicians are grandparents? My son plays in a band and the 3 year old plays guitar too and knows music better than most people.

I hope to find another cruise where we can enjoy family time, but it's kinda shocking to me about the 70's music cruise. Any suggestions for fun for a musical family? Should we just book a normal Celebrity cruise? We're not interested in Disney and the kids love live music.

<p>

I saw a 70's musical theme cruise for March 2018 on Celebrity Summit that would interest my husband and myself. We are 64 years old. Our son and daughter-in-law love music and were interested in going on this cruise too. They wanted to bring their 3 year old and 1 year old. I tried to book 2 connecting rooms for this cruise, knowing we would act as babysitters. The travel company handling this cruise would not allow the children on this cruise.<br>

<br>

We have gone on other theme cruises with the kids and had no problems. There were always kids on board, and even the entertainers brought their families and children. Since most of the 70's entertainers on this particular cruise are at least 60, or 70, I didn't think it would be too ruckus, and some of the musicians would bring children and grandchildren. I'm just surprised legally, this could be an option for the travel company.<br>

<br>

Celebrity is NO WAY at fault for this, we LOVE Celebrity and will continue to be loyal to them. I can see a singles cruise or gay cruise, or whatever saying kids would not be welcomed, but a cruise with music? Where the musicians are grandparents? My son plays in a band and the 3 year old plays guitar too and knows music better than most people.<br>

<br>

I hope to find another cruise where we can enjoy family time, but it's kinda shocking to me about the 70's music cruise. Any suggestions for fun for a musical family? Should we just book a normal Celebrity cruise? We're not interested in Disney and the kids love live music.

</p><br><p>I assume this is some type of charter in which they set the rules.  Who did you try to book with.</p><br>

<p></p><br><p>I assume this is some type of charter in which they set the rules.  Who did you try to book with.</p><br>

Hi Don,

The company is called star vista live. The cruise is rock and romance. Yes, it's a theme cruise on the Summit, so yes, it's probably a charter cruise. I'm just surprised that children aren't welcome. We've been on a few of these, with younger musicians, and the musicians brought their own children on board. Since these musicians are from the 1970's, I wouldn't think it would be a rowdy atmosphere. Again, our grandkids would not be using child care facilities, or causing a problem. I guess I just didn't think it was legal to keep the kids from taking this cruise.

It's entirely legal. It's their preference, there's no protected right that is being violated, and they're appealing to travellers who prefer a child-free environment (a growing segment of the population, by the way).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By contracting to charter the entire ship, and by agreeing to have it be an adults only cruise, the cruise line can then release the Kids Club staff (send them on vacation or re-assign them to another ship).

Also, I can see why it might be advantageous for a charter company to be able to advertise that for the duration of their charter, the ship will be child-free.

By contracting to charter the entire ship, and by agreeing to have it be an adults only cruise, the cruise line can then release the Kids Club staff (send them on vacation or re-assign them to another ship).

Also, I can see why it might be advantageous for a charter company to be able to advertise that for the duration of their charter, the ship will be child-free.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I love my child free time too! I just wish that they had made that clear in their information for this cruise. If they did, I didn't see it. I guess I could ask my son to read it throughly, since he's a prosecutor and knows the law...haha. Really, it's okay now, I was just upset that I picked the cruise, everyone arranged with their jobs to get time off and I was on my way to making travel arrangements...grrr.

I do bet the entertainers and their crews bring their families. It has happened on every cruise of this type. My kids have been on 8 of them and we have been on 2. Anyway, time to find another cruise for our family during that time!

It's entirely legal. It's their preference, there's no protected right that is being violated, and they're appealing to travellers who prefer a child-free environment (a growing segment of the population, by the way).

Thank you for the reply. If it was written on the website, yes, it would be entirely legal. I didn't see that, but honestly could have missed it. I was ready to put the money down, knowing we've done these cruises before and there were lots of families. Live and learn I guess.

I'm sorry. I was a little snarky. Too many "there oughta be a law" posts on social media.

I hope you find a wonderful cruise that enables you to spend time with your loved ones.

Not snarky at all!! No worries!

I was very interested, so I looked up their website. It is a charter and they travel with their own rules. Looking at the pictures I absolutely understand why this is an adults only cruise. Mostly because the public areas are simply crammed with people listening to the performances. I suspect there also will be no kids club, babysitting, or children's menus to accommodate kids. They also issue their own sea pass scheme, have their own processes for entering the theater, and there is no "select" (free style) dining. This is certainly not the typical Celebrity experience.

I wonder of they also have different or limited dining menus for the MDR and buffet?

I was very interested, so I looked up their website. It is a charter and they travel with their own rules. Looking at the pictures I absolutely understand why this is an adults only cruise. Mostly because the public areas are simply crammed with people listening to the performances. I suspect there also will be no kids club, babysitting, or children's menus to accommodate kids. They also issue their own sea pass scheme, have their own processes for entering the theater, and there is no "select" (free style) dining. This is certainly not the typical Celebrity experience.

I wonder of they also have different or limited dining menus for the MDR and buffet?

Thank you for your reply. The food is essentially the same on the theme cruises I've been on. There have always been kids onboard, but I'm not sure if there is a kid's club or babysitting. My son doesn't use those services, his job is prosecuting child abuse cases, along with other horrible things, so he keeps his kids close, or with trusted friends and families. Not saying the cruise hires monsters to watch children, I know they don't, but my son and his wife are extra careful after dealing with what he does every day.

As far as entering the theater to see performances, we had assigned seating because we were in a suite, but it didn't seem to be a problem for everyone to get in and watch the shows.

I didn't pay much attention to the pictures of crammed spaces on the website. I'm sure the company made it look fun! In reality, the shows were in the usual spots and the entertainers, who are years past their prime, eat lunch with their families and passengers at the buffet or main dining room. It's always been a laid back meet and greet type of day with the entertainers. The ship crew seems to love these cruises! They do a great job during the cruise too. Anyway, it's been lots of fun, but we'll be looking for a normal cruise this time.

You haven't said that you have been on other themed cruises with this company or on a Celebrity ship. I suspect one of those answers is a no.

You may not care about the kids services because you don;t use them, but to the cruise line and sponsors that may indeed make a difference and be a choice they have made. Also, you insist that the performers are likely to bring their kids. As far as I can tell, their kids will likely all be adults. As for the seating in the theater, there may be ample seating but the sponsors have designed their own process for seating. Not at all as flexible as when on a regular cruise. That says to me that they are in control and designed things in such a way that it is likely unsuitable or at least not designed to accommodate kids.

It also occurs to me that in the event of an emergency, there are special procedures in place for children. They have to wear special bands etc. On this cruise, the sponsors may have elected not to implement these things.

My point is that it is unlikely to be like other themed cruises you have been on. I am sure they have a good theory (if not reason) for allowing adults only. It also could be that the age at which they allow children is older than infants (which your grandchildren would still be considered).

My husband and I went on the March 2017 Star Vista 70's Rock and Romance on the Summit. Had a fantastic time. Also very much enjoyed no children! We have also gone on other oldies cruises - Concerts At Sea. They don't charter the entire ship so children can go along. They use Princess. Their shows are scheduled at different times than the ship shows. It's like having a private group amongst the rest. They offer the Caribbean (usually around the end of January) and as a first they are also offering Alaska in 2018.

We're long-time X cruisers, who have booked our very first music charter (Smooth Jazz Cruise in 2018). To tell you the truth, I never even noticed whether there was an age restriction -- mainly because we don't travel with kids. But, from what I can tell, charters (of any kind) are a totally different cruise experience. Having been on Summit twice before, at least we'll recognize the ship! ;)

You haven't said that you have been on other themed cruises with this company or on a Celebrity ship. I suspect one of those answers is a no.

You may not care about the kids services because you don;t use them, but to the cruise line and sponsors that may indeed make a difference and be a choice they have made. Also, you insist that the performers are likely to bring their kids. As far as I can tell, their kids will likely all be adults. As for the seating in the theater, there may be ample seating but the sponsors have designed their own process for seating. Not at all as flexible as when on a regular cruise. That says to me that they are in control and designed things in such a way that it is likely unsuitable or at least not designed to accommodate kids.

It also occurs to me that in the event of an emergency, there are special procedures in place for children. They have to wear special bands etc. On this cruise, the sponsors may have elected not to implement these things.

My point is that it is unlikely to be like other themed cruises you have been on. I am sure they have a good theory (if not reason) for allowing adults only. It also could be that the age at which they allow children is older than infants (which your grandchildren would still be considered).

We have been on a total of 10 music theme cruises. I need to update my status, I haven't been around here for years. I've been on 2 more cruises with Celebrity since my last update.

The kids of entertainers and crews were all ages, from infant to adult. Some of the band members were not 40 years old yet that we've seen.

Yes, I can understand the legal/medical issues of having children on any cruise. It's amazing to me that it works so well on normal cruises considering the party atmosphere on most ships, along with water slides, ice skating rinks and balconies. When you think about all the potential dangers...wow!

My husband and I went on the March 2017 Star Vista 70's Rock and Romance on the Summit. Had a fantastic time. Also very much enjoyed no children! We have also gone on other oldies cruises - Concerts At Sea. They don't charter the entire ship so children can go along. They use Princess. Their shows are scheduled at different times than the ship shows. It's like having a private group amongst the rest. They offer the Caribbean (usually around the end of January) and as a first they are also offering Alaska in 2018.

Thanks for the info! Maybe we should look into the Princess cruise. Our son played guitar in a band before getting a "real" job, and his 3 year old son loves all music and knows the oldies well. I guess he learned from watching daddy.

We have been on a total of 10 music theme cruises. I need to update my status, I haven't been around here for years. I've been on 2 more cruises with Celebrity since my last update.

The kids of entertainers and crews were all ages, from infant to adult. Some of the band members were not 40 years old yet that we've seen.

Yes, I can understand the legal/medical issues of having children on any cruise. It's amazing to me that it works so well on normal cruises considering the party atmosphere on most ships, along with water slides, ice skating rinks and balconies. When you think about all the potential dangers...wow!

The Summit doesn't have any of those amenities (except balconies :) ) In fact, the passengers that sail the Summit tend to be an older crowd in general. Once I watched a toddler rolling around near the edge and trying to poke his head and arms out beneath the railing. There was only a relatively small opening, but he could have squeezed through. His parents were right there chatting away and paying no attention. I was beside myself with worry and wondering whether to say something. I did, because I decided I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if the child fell off the boat. I'm sure they thought I was a nervous busy buddy...but they picked the child up and I was happy to have them think so.

We were on Allure of the Seas in January and really enjoyed the shows. Things like the Aqua Show, the Parade and the Ice show are great for little ones! There is also a great water area for small ones!

Another thing that might appeal is the range of rooms suitable for family cruising. Check out the two bedroomed Aqua Suite....remember this will come with lots of perks included so compared to booking two joining rooms it does have advantages.

I am not a saying RC will be as good as a themed cruise for music lovers. It will be very different but may be something that could suit you at present. Have a look, just an idea...

We were on Allure of the Seas in January and really enjoyed the shows. Things like the Aqua Show, the Parade and the Ice show are great for little ones! There is also a great water area for small ones!

Another thing that might appeal is the range of rooms suitable for family cruising. Check out the two bedroomed Aqua Suite....remember this will come with lots of perks included so compared to booking two joining rooms it does have advantages.

I am not a saying RC will be as good as a themed cruise for music lovers. It will be very different but may be something that could suit you at present. Have a look, just an idea...

Thank you for the info! I I will definitely look into your suggestions!

The Summit doesn't have any of those amenities (except balconies :) ) In fact, the passengers that sail the Summit tend to be an older crowd in general. Once I watched a toddler rolling around near the edge and trying to poke his head and arms out beneath the railing. There was only a relatively small opening, but he could have squeezed through. His parents were right there chatting away and paying no attention. I was beside myself with worry and wondering whether to say something. I did, because I decided I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if the child fell off the boat. I'm sure they thought I was a nervous busy buddy...but they picked the child up and I was happy to have them think so.

I am with you, I see things with young children that really makes me worry. I'm probably overly protective, but it only takes a minute for a little one to get away from a parent. I'm glad I'm not raising little ones at my age, because my heart couldn't take it!