Southern Caribbean Cruise--Advice on Port Days

In January, we will visit: Antigua, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, St Maarten and return to San Juan. We like: flat fishing and the beach, and some site seeing. Of these islands, which are the best for fishing (not deep sea). Which is a must see beach?

I have researched and read that Pinney's Beach in Nevis is worth going to and that there is a "drive in" volcano in St. Lucia.

Any recommendations from the CC pros for "don't miss" at any port/town on our cruise itinerary will be most appreciated! Many thanks!

I've been to all of those islands a few times. Lots of things to do on each of them. Most, if not all have been covered in the ports threads for each of the islands.

Here's a link to the forum:. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

The other source where I've found reliable recommendations is Trip Advisor. Have a great cruise.

Thanks! I checked so many websites -- most report on generic offerings of things to do. I will look at the above link you referenced. TA is great for land trips -- I use it often... and there is information that can be used for a cruise. However, I often see people referring cruise-type questions back to CC -- but I will check TA. Thanks, again.

In St. Lucia take the Cosol tour!!!! WE have been cruising for 30 years and this tour is probably the best one we have ever taken. It is a long tour and at one point they take you by boat to a beach below the Pitan mountains for an hours swim, etc. At one stop you cannot believe the amount of breakfast items you can sample and there are some venders at the stops. Our tour we supposed to be 5-5 1/2 hours long but we were a bit more than 6 hours. Our driver was VERY aware of the time to get us back to the ship in plenty of time.

At our 1st stop a lady decided she wasn't going to buy this dress. Later on she decided she should have bought it and told someone. What does our driver do? He takes us to the vendor's house, beeped his horn, vendor came out and lady bought her dress! Wow. I also could not believe the number of turns you take. Longest straight a way had to be maybe 1/2 a football field! They beep going in to lots of the turns. Google this tour and get even more info on it! It is one tour we'll take again next time in St. Lucia!

Can't help with fishing.

Antigua - shared van at quayside across the island to Shirley Heights & Nelson's Harbour (nice pub there), back along fig-tree drive & west coach beaches, short stop at one of them.

St Kitts - shared van at quayside for circumnavigation of the island, ending with an hour or two at a beach. Don't choose cheapest, it's not the full tour.

If you want to ride the Sugar Train, it's only available as a ship's tour.

St Lucia - shared van at quayside (or pre-book with well-recommended Cosol) to drive-in volcano. No, the volcano's not up to much, just bubbling mud pools & sulphur smells - but plenty else on the trip including More Rouge, thro rainforest, past Pitons.

On return get driver to drive you 10 mins past the ship to Choc beach (palm-backed crescent beach, safe swimming, very quiet, just a few locals & tourists, one bar with facilities). If Choc beach doesn't appeal, get him to carry on 10 mins further to Reduit beach in Rodney Bay (tourist beach with all the toys), Arrange with driver to collect you for return to ship. Castries is a grubby dump.

Barbados - lots of options. Excellent snorkelling & beaches (taxi up to one of the west coast beaches) or rent a moke & check out the island's interior & wild east coast, or walk into town.

St Maarten - Orient beach is best. But dial Maho Beach into U-Tube for something more interesting. Or go to Marigot, on the French side (no border). Shuttles to all three. Philipsburg has a decent town beach behind the shops if you want to combine the two, then back to the ship by water taxi.

Plenty of other things at these places - except St Kitt's, which is quite small.

Vans & taxis at the pier are friendly & trustworthy, they know their island & they know the importance of back-on-board time. Agree a price before you board, pay (USD) when you get back, it's the norm. Take beach gear on any van tour for that option at the end

JB :)

Oh my....you are all so helpful!

I will look into these suggestions. We vacationed in St. Maarten years ago, so we will skip the shopping! We went to a few of the beaches, mostly on Dutch side; so this time the French side is of interest.

Do you have a recommendation for a fun tour that includes St. Kitts, beach, and going to the sister island, Nevis, with a bit of site seeing and the beach?

Still looking for fly or flat fishing for my husband on any of these islands! Appreciate help with this from anyone who has fished these islands. No deep sea, as mentioned before!

Thank you.

Do you have a recommendation for the Catamaran to Nevis sail? Thank you.

I've been to all of those islands a few times. Lots of things to do on each of them. Most, if not all have been covered in the ports threads for each of the islands.

Here's a link to the forum:. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

The other source where I've found reliable recommendations is Trip Advisor. Have a great cruise.

We've loved taking the catamaran sail to Nevis with the stop at Pinney's Beach several times.

Not so fond of the "drive in" volcano in St. Lucia.

Very good itinerary! ENJOY! :)

We've loved taking the catamaran sail to Nevis with the stop at Pinney's Beach several times.

Not so fond of the "drive in" volcano in St. Lucia.

Very good itinerary! ENJOY! :)

You mentioned the catamaran sail to Nevis: what tour company do you recommend? Is the catamaran sail a smooth ride? Is the waterway between the islands calm?

Thanks so much!