Price Drops, any success with Celebrity UK

gd2

We have discovered that the Balcony we have booked with Celebrity UK has dropped in price by £120 per person. We haven't paid the final balance, has anybody had any success in getting a price match or extra obvious etc?

Had that happen with a P&O cruise and thought I'd see what they'd say.

Basically nothing except re-book which obviously isn't financially viable in most cases. One of those common situations, chance you take as prices go up and down all the time but at least you know you are booked and have cabin you want :)

Would be interesting if anyone has had success with 'X' UK though as am booked later this year :cool:

Crazy that TAs can offer prices lower than Celebrity

Sometimes the agencies are under an obligation to X to sell so many cabins on a cruise or have a penalty, so that's why they will have big drops if they are not shifting their allocations

One time for me, it was the UK agency owned by RCL and X told me I was paying less than the agency was paying them for the trip (that time it was better value for me to cancel and rebook through the agency even allowing for the deposit)

Would be interesting if anyone has had success with 'X' UK though as am booked later this year :cool:

The experience which follows was in 2013, so no 1-2-3 perks involved.

9 weeks before we were due to sail, I noticed that there were 2A cabins available on our Eclipse Southern Caribbean cruise.

I rang Celebrity UK and was told that those were for new bookings only.

When I explained that there weren't any 2A available when I booked, the agent said " I can do better than that and offered us an available 1A ( there were a few, especially on decks 8/9) it was mid ships, at £496 LESS than we paid. We changed the cabin, and the final Invoice was sent. However, it wasn't £496 cheaper, so I rang again and suggested that they had omitted the 55+ discount. They then sent another invoice which was £496 cheaper.

I paid immediately before they changed their minds.

All this was with Celebrity Direct.

Edited by upwarduk

Sometimes the agencies are under an obligation to X to sell so many cabins on a cruise or have a penalty, so that's why they will have big drops if they are not shifting their allocations

One time for me, it was the UK agency owned by RCL and X told me I was paying less than the agency was paying them for the trip (that time it was better value for me to cancel and rebook through the agency even allowing for the deposit)

I'm sure this is spot on. At the moment our Eclipse transatlantic in November has inside cabins (cruise only) on the Celebrity website for approx £1350pp. An online TA is advertising the same cruise, balcony cabin, including flights and four nights in Orlando, hotels and transfers, for £1299pp! How crazy is that? We booked direct at a very good price when the cruise first went on sale. We have no desire to go to Orlando as we are meeting US friends when we disembark in Miami and we booked our flights using air miles ......nevertheless, it's very tempting.

UKtog, your screen name always makes me smile, are you a devotee of Sir Terry or am I way off course:)

Sue

Hi Sue,

Still enjoying cruising!!! We should have been on Century's final sailing, Dubai - Rome, until she was redeployed to Singapore, due to the sale.

Back to the topic.

You do have to be careful with the base prices.

Adverts for our next Eclipse cruise seem very cheap, until investigation shows that it is for a Guarantee cabin with no perks. In other words, you cannot select a position for your cabin.

As we were given 'perks' due to the above redeployment, I wouldn't forego those to get a cheaper cabin ( ours is mid- ships)

For those of you who book directly with Celebrity's UK site, can you please tell me if I can rely on their website for the correct amount of cabin availability? It never matches the US site and always shows a much larger amount of cabins available. I am tracking a British Isle cruise and hoping for a price drop after final payment which is May 1st. The current count shows 111 balconies, 54 concierge, and 14 aqua. US site indicates much less.

For those of you who book directly with Celebrity's UK site, can you please tell me if I can rely on their website for the correct amount of cabin availability? It never matches the US site and always shows a much larger amount of cabins available. I am tracking a British Isle cruise and hoping for a price drop after final payment which is May 1st. The current count shows 111 balconies, 54 concierge, and 14 aqua. US site indicates much less.

I believe so. Many US cruisers complain about the limited choice when booking compared to UK bookers. Some US TAs can access a wider choice.

Stuart