Antartica, Galapagos? Even FP.

kimanjo

I think I know the answer to this question, but I'd like to hear opinions.

DH is an "active" traveller. Example, after climbing to the top of Santorini via the donkey path (and down too) we got back to the ship early afternoon.

I read a book by the pool (resting) and he was going to go the the gym... Instead, he took the tender back and climbed the "hill" and down again (for fun).

We are 51 & 52 and both active. Me, not as much as him! But I can hold my own.

For 2016, he thinks he wants French Polynesia? Don't know where that came from. I do most/all of our travel plans. He is happy to go where I say.

I think he will be bored stiff doing a FP cruise.

(Also, he does not want to wear a dinner jacket)

I think Galapagos or Antarctica would be more active for him, plus I am a nature lover, and it would be great for me too.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions??

Edited by kimanjo
add

We are 51 & 52 and both active. Me, not as much as him! But I can hold my own.

For 2016, he thinks he wants French Polynesia? Don't know where that came from. I do most/all of our travel plans. He is happy to go where I say.

I think he will be bored stiff doing a FP cruise.

(Also, he does not want to wear a dinner jacket)

I think Galapagos or Antarctica would be more active for him, plus I am a nature lover, and it would be great for me too.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions??

Hm. We are both pretty active too and about 5y younger. We have been to all 3 places you're considering. And yes, we climbed the donkey path in Santorini too...

Yeah, somewhat less to do in terms of being "active" in FP but there are areas that are very pretty and it's worth seeing. We had a hard time finding hikes, etc. despite reading guidebooks and looking all over the internet. This was 2007 so there may be more info now.

Galapagos is really neat. The activity is more, but it's still something that we considered a slow pace. There is minimal to no opportunity to wander off on your own, except in the towns. Wildlife, scenery is excellent.

Antarctica was one of our all-time favorites. You have to sit still for the 2 days there and back, though, through the Drake. Again, you can't really wander off on your own and the hikes, though a little more strenuous, are not all that much of a challenge. You hike a little, then stop and talk with your guide, take pictures of penguins, etc. before proceeding.

If we had to go to one of those 3 places again, Antarctica would be 1st, Galapagos 2nd, FP 3rd.

If you like active travel, why don't you go to Iceland? You can climb mountains and hike to your hearts' content.

George and I are in our late 50's and very fit. We have done the donkey trail in santorini. We have hiked all over the world. Haven't been to Antarctica yet (hat is on for 2016), but we have been to the Galapagos and FP. Also to Svalbard, Greenland, and Baffin Island on explorer. I would not characterize any of them as very strenuous, but we enjoyed all.

In FP, if your husband likes snorkeling or scuba diving, he will be happy. There is a little opportunity to hike, but really not much at all. I was happy to sit on the beach.

In the Galapagos as well as the arctic and Antarctic, you can't just wander off on your own, much to my hsuband's distress. But you can get some fairly good hiking in and the wildlife is amazing.

And agree regarding Iceland. It is outstanding. Have been there twice and would go again in an instant.

Edited by RachelG

I got off the Silver Galapagos last Saturday. There were two long hikes and another down a lava tunnel, none that I did myself. All hiking is led by the expedition team. Wandering on your own is not permitted. Kayaking in two to three locations and snorkeling four days sometimes two times a day. Wet suits and snorkel gear are provided.

• 4 months later...

I am resurrecting my own thread, hoping for more advice.

DH has decided Antarctica, I'll have to do with my sister or someone else, he just does NOT want to do it :(

Someone mentioned Norway on another thread???

I'm off to search for Norway trip reports...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

How interesting. I was reading your post, and thought "How about Iceland or Norway?"

I would definitely suggest Iceland and a land-based trip. There is tons to do, and you can make it as active as you like...plus it is a spectactular place.

We did the Norway Fjord cruise in July 2013. We were blessed with amazing weather--not a cloud in the sky and in the mid 70s to almost 80 every day. We would do it again if we were sure we'd get the same weather. The hikes were fantastic--all very different, and definitely not a "walk in the park." For example, Kristensund was a hike through brush, rocks, streams, and a bit of mud. A few people lasted 15 minutes and gave up. In Geiranger, it was straight up for 1 1/2 hours to a waterfall and you could climb down behind the waterfall. They also offered a kayak trip that day. In Bergen, you can hike to the top (or take the funicular and hike down) and the views and city are beautiful.

Mr. Herman the Cat doesn't hike, and he had plenty to do on other excursions. And the time onboard was lovely as we cruised through the Fjords.

Alternatively, I would also suggest Miraval Spa in Tucson, Arizona. Great in terms of balance for couples who differ in the level of activity they prefer.

We did Norway on Regent, but the hikes on Silversea are pretty much the same. Lots of opportunities to get out and really hike if you want. One of our favorite trips.

The problem with Hurtigruten (besides the fact that it is not luxurious at all) is that it is not primarily a passenger ship. So the timing of ports is weird, and you may only be there a couple of hours, not enough to do much exploring.