AJ Meddy tours?

canadarocks

He does deal with cruise ships because I have booked him for a tour on Jan3, Emerald Princess. The tripadvisor write-ups are really good so we decided to use him.

Thanks, we'll be on the Emerald in March. Strange that no one here has mentioned him. Did you book one of his set tours, or did you design your own?

• 1 month later...

I noticed Meddy is on tripadvisor under 'Attractions' but the others like Sunsation, Mandoo, etc are listed under 'Activities'. I've been meaning to email Tripadvisor about this.

Anyway, I think one of the problems is that I don't think Grenada is quite as common a cruise port as is a lot of the other ports so it doesn't get as much activity, including tour operator discussion. Which may skew the apparent popularity of the tour guides.

Have fun on your cruise!

Nancy

AJ is an excellent tour guide but is relatively new in terms of being promoted on tripadvisor and therefore here too. He's sort a hidden secret that's now coming out :D. Like Mandoo he is excellent and very knowledgeable and I'm sure you'll have a great day with him.

• 3 months later...

I am trying to decide on a tour operator. All seem pretty competent from what I have read and sense. For me, what seems more important is where the person takes you, or is willing to take you, and how many people he/she needs to make the tour a "go." Price is also important to me. Some operators will apparently drop you at Grand Anse for a while if you want after the tour and then return you to the ship. However, keep in mind that it is pretty easy to get to Grand Anse from the cruise terminal (water taxi, bus, taxis), so that may not be a big plus unless you're really a beach person and want to be sure to get there without too much to think about. Some tour operators include admission, some don't - although admission seems to be $2 U.S. in most places, so that's not a huge difference.

I am having trouble figuring out which spice experience I want to have. There are a number of possibilities - Dougaldston (or may be spelled differently - everyone seems to spell it a different way!), the Nutmeg Processing Station in Gouyave (very basic place but probably fairly authentic!), smaller "Spice Shops" and things like that.

I don't believe any operator can drive you up to Ft. George, although there is a little "train" that goes there from near the cruise terminal if you don't want to make the 15 minute hike.

Hope that helps. Now I'm going to post my questions in hopes of getting more information and making up my mind where I want to go! At the rate I'm going, all of the tour operators, or at least the ones mentioned on Cruise Critic or Trip Advisor, will be all booked and I'll have to find someone else. My hunch, however, is that the lesser-known (or at least lesser-written about) tour operators will provide a satisfactory experience.

Edited by roothy123

I am trying to decide on a tour operator, and interested in Meddy, too. However, all tour operators seem pretty competent from what I have read and/or sense. For me, what seems more important is where the person takes you, or is willing to take you, and how many people he/she needs to make the tour a "go." Price is also important to me, although it doesn't seem to vary all that much, so perhaps I'm being cheap! Some operators will apparently drop you at Grand Anse for a while if you want after the tour and then return you to the ship. However, keep in mind that it is pretty easy to get to Grand Anse from the cruise terminal (water taxi, bus, taxis), so that may not be a big plus unless you're really a beach person and want to be sure to get there without too much to think about. Some tour operators include admission, some don't - although admission seems to be $2 U.S. in most places, so that's not a huge difference.

I am having trouble figuring out which spice experience I want to have. There are a number of possibilities - Dougaldston (or may be spelled differently - everyone seems to spell it a different way!), the Nutmeg Processing Station in Gouyave (very basic place but probably fairly authentic!), smaller "Spice Shops" where spices are explained but not actually processed, and things like that.

I don't believe any operator can drive you up to Ft. George, although there is a little "train" that goes there from near the cruise terminal if you don't want to make the 15 minute hike.

Hope that helps. Now I'm going to post my questions in hopes of getting more information and making up my mind where I want to go! At the rate I'm going, all of the tour operators, or at least the ones mentioned on Cruise Critic or Trip Advisor, will be all booked and I'll have to find someone else. My hunch, however, is that the lesser-known (or at least lesser-written about) tour operators will provide a satisfactory experience.

SailinC2C, please comment when you get back!!

Edited by roothy123

• 4 months later...

I will be travelling to Grenada via cruise in October -- What did you finally end up doing in Grenada and how did you rate the experience?

I am trying to decide on a tour operator, and interested in Meddy, too. However, all tour operators seem pretty competent from what I have read and/or sense. For me, what seems more important is where the person takes you, or is willing to take you, and how many people he/she needs to make the tour a "go." Price is also important to me, although it doesn't seem to vary all that much, so perhaps I'm being cheap! Some operators will apparently drop you at Grand Anse for a while if you want after the tour and then return you to the ship. However, keep in mind that it is pretty easy to get to Grand Anse from the cruise terminal (water taxi, bus, taxis), so that may not be a big plus unless you're really a beach person and want to be sure to get there without too much to think about. Some tour operators include admission, some don't - although admission seems to be $2 U.S. in most places, so that's not a huge difference.

I am having trouble figuring out which spice experience I want to have. There are a number of possibilities - Dougaldston (or may be spelled differently - everyone seems to spell it a different way!), the Nutmeg Processing Station in Gouyave (very basic place but probably fairly authentic!), smaller "Spice Shops" where spices are explained but not actually processed, and things like that.

SailinC2C, please comment when you get back!!

• 3 months later...

Yes, IslandStar, I caught that typo, so I sent the email with the correct spelling and it didn't come back. Trouble is, I didn't get an answer back either.

This morning I sent another email to Mandoo. I really hope to hear back from him in the next few days, but in the meantime, I'm also going to contact AJ Meddy.

Thanks again for your response.

Yes, IslandStar, I caught that typo, so I sent the email with the correct spelling and it didn't come back. Trouble is, I didn't get an answer back either.

This morning I sent another email to Mandoo. I really hope to hear back from him in the next few days, but in the meantime, I'm also going to contact AJ Meddy.

Thanks again for your response.

Sunsation Tours are a fantastic operation here on island and can help you build a fantastic tour. They also don't get numerous reviews on here. Contact Johanna at www.grenadasunsation.com

• 2 months later...

Just got back from cruise and used AJ Meddy in Grenada, driver was Neil. Very knowledgeable man - went to Dougalston Estate (spelling), spice processing factory, Grand Etang National Park, drove through Rain Forest, etc. Took Meddy's West Coast tour and was quite happy with it. Vendors in Grenada were a little aggressive but backed off if we said not interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Sunsation Tours are a fantastic operation here on island and can help you build a fantastic tour. They also don't get numerous reviews on here. Contact Johanna at www.grenadasunsation.com

Would you know if one can you personalize a tour with sunsation. I would like to find where I used to live and then maybe spend the day touring.