First time cruise with my father

calico1

Hi everyone! I found this forum very helpful.

My father will be turning 80 next month. My father is still strong and agile for his age, thankfully. I have just booked a 7-day cruise from NYC to Bahamas with NCL. I thought it would be a nice gift for him. We will be sailing on Nov 2nd. Here are my concerns:

(1) I ended up with a BX room as all mid-ship balconies are sold out. Do you think that part of the ship would be too shaky for him?

(2) What excursions do you recommend for the 3 stops?

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As a rule, mid ship cabins are the best.

You can ask questions about your cabin, etc. on the NCL board here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Check our your Roll Call here -- just scroll down until you find your ship -- open that up -- then scroll down until you find the date of your cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Check out Ports of Call here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

My mom just went on a cruise (about her 10th) to New England. Mom is 91, and also agile - but she gets tired easily so she went on tour type excursions (coach tours, horse carriage rides). I think a lot depends on your dad and how much energy he has. You should probably review the excursion catalogue with him to see what's appealing. Some seniors like to sit and watch the world go by, while others - like our former President Bush Sr - are still jumping from planes!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise with your dad.

Hi everyone! I found this forum very helpful.

My father will be turning 80 next month. My father is still strong and agile for his age, thankfully. I have just booked a 7-day cruise from NYC to Bahamas with NCL. I thought it would be a nice gift for him. We will be sailing on Nov 2nd. Here are my concerns:

(1) I ended up with a BX room as all mid-ship balconies are sold out. Do you think that part of the ship would be too shaky for him?

(2) What excursions do you recommend for the 3 stops?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Calico,

I have cruised with my now 81 year old for the last 5 years. Here's what I've learned in answer to your questions.

1 - if he does not suffer from motion sickness he should be fine wherever your cabin is. Yes, lower and more central locations avoid the see saw motion in rolling seas. I find some motion relaxing, others find it nauseating. If your pre-disposed to motion sickness no cabin location is safe.

2 - my Dad's energy level varies daily. I would not pre-book any excursions. You can have a lot of fun in most ports by walking the area or taking a local taxi or bus. A short excursion might be OK. remember there will be days when he justs wants to rest and re-charge and it is hard to predict those days. There are always last minute openings on an excursion if your Dad feels particularly frisky or adventurous.

We've done the exact cruise you mention. NYC to Nassau, Freeport and maybe NCL's private island. Nassau has a nice beach (Junkanoo) beach that is only a 10 minute walk from the ship. The downton is very walkable. As an excursion for someone elderly I'd maybe recommend a trip to the Atlantis resort but it is pricey. I'm not a fan of Freeport, it's a little industrial (But hey! It's still the Bahamas!). My Dad takes a pass except for the dockside market and I usually do a little drinking at Senior Frogs.

The private island (if it is on your schedule) is a great stop. Easy tender to and from and you can walk, wade, listen to music, enjoy the day.

My Dad and really enjoy port days on board. It's quiet, we have a drink, play gin rummy, enjoy the peace and quiet. We might walk off the ship just to stretch our legs but we will stay close.

Lastly, my Dad knows my energy level exceeds his. Once in a while I'll go off on my for a walk or excursion and he will read on board or have a nap. Don't be afraid to take a little time for yourself.

The cruise out of NY Harbour is an incredible experience. Board early, stake a claim on a nice lounger in the serenity lounge, get a couple of cocktails and enjoy a great sail out! Manhattan, WTC Tower, Staten Island, Statue of Libery, Verranzano Narrows Bridge. Amazing!

I hope you have a great cruise!!

Cheers!

HTP

:cool: