Restaurants near Tower Of London

rhsjr

We will be staying pre cruise on Pepys Street, near the Tower of London. Can you suggest a few restaurants, casual & inexpensive, nearby? This would include dinner and breakfast.

We will be staying pre cruise on Pepys Street, near the Tower of London. Can you suggest a few restaurants, casual & inexpensive, nearby? This would include dinner and breakfast.

How about just outside the grounds of the Tower of London? Perkin Reveller is managed by the Beefeaters of the Tower. It may be a bit dressier -- Smart Casual as the British say -- and pricier -- two-course or three-course set menu options keep the costs under control -- than you're looking for. However, look in one direction and you'll see the walls of the Tower. Look in the other direction and you'll see along the Tower Bridge.

Definitely worth mentioning for a special experience.

http://www.perkinreveller.co.uk/about/

There is a COTE BRASSERIE on Tooley Street in the Hays Galleria.

We find it to be wonderful French bistro food at very reasonable prices.

It is part of a chain but each location, and we've been to many, treat you like you belong. Great food and inexpensive wine...

There is a COTE BRASSERIE on Tooley Street in the Hays Galleria.

We find it to be wonderful French bistro food at very reasonable prices.

It is part of a chain but each location, and we've been to many, treat you like you belong. Great food and inexpensive wine...

A good recommendation.

OP - this is in one of the areas I mentioned on your 'walking from the Eye' thread. South of the river, between London and Tower Bridges. Several other restaurants and pubs here too.

A good recommendation

There's also a very nice Cote Brasserie in St Katharine Docks which would be much nearer for you - just across the main roads to the left off the Tower (hotel behind you.) if you feel adventurous jump on the 100 bus into Wapping and get off at the Town of Ramsgate pub (5 mins & bus stop just outside.) fascinating history and great pub food. Well worth a Google. Lots of restaurants in the Dock - Italians, Chinese , and also Spanish Tapas. Cross Tower Bridge to find many more.

A good recommendation

There's also a very nice Cote Brasserie in St Katharine Docks which would be much nearer for you - just across the main roads to the left off the Tower (hotel behind you.) if you feel adventurous jump on the 100 bus into Wapping and get off at the Town of Ramsgate pub (5 mins & bus stop just outside.) fascinating history and great pub food. Well worth a Google. Lots of restaurants in the Dock - Italians, Chinese , and also Spanish Tapas. Cross Tower Bridge to find many more.

Second this, Katherines Docks are beautiful, fun to walk around too. I recommend the Dickens Inn, 3rd floor has a view of the bridge- we were able to see it go up!

Second this, Katherines Docks are beautiful, fun to walk around too. I recommend the Dickens Inn, 3rd floor has a view of the bridge- we were able to see it go up!

My DW and I were there in 2000. When we were walking around I was trying to remember it as it was the first time I went - back in the early 60s. Grimy, run down, packed with lorries queuing to get in the docks. I was impossible.

My DW and I were there in 2000. When we were walking around I was trying to remember it as it was the first time I went - back in the early 60s. Grimy, run down, packed with lorries queuing to get in the docks. I was impossible.

Bob, you are quite right , they've done a marvellous job with it and have spent millions. It's one of the nicest parts of London now and in such an interesting spot, right next to Tower Bridge. The views from the Tower Hotel (and the cocktail bar there) are spectacular especially when the bridge is lit up, although of course free to anyone from outside. I can recommend exploring the area too especially the walk down into Wapping which is very interesting and has some lovely old pubs and restaurants, cobbled streets and the old wharves which are now design winning apartments. The history of the whole area and the London Docks is well worth delving into. It's an area where several well known celebrities live - have spotted David Suchet, Helen Mirren and Graham Norton shopping in the local Waitrose.

There are lots of nice places to eat And we can recommend Cote, Tapas Bravas, the Brasserie at the Tower , in the Dock , and the Town of Ramsgate, the Captain Kidd, the Prospect of Whitby (Wapping Pubs with good food) and Il Bordello and Bottega Wapping in Wapping too. These are walkable from the Dock - the walk along the Thames is lovely towards the east. We have walked along to Canary Wharf on the Thames Path many times. Another nice pub is the Grapes (in Limehouse)where Dickens used to frequent and is now owned by Ian McKellan. Very good pub food and some of Gandalf's artefacts are on display!! Busy at lunchtimes!

London Docks - isn't that where there is a massive project by St Georges, the prestige arm of Berkeley Homes?

Yes, St George are building on the site of 'fortress Wapping', News International's old HQ and printing plant, which was the scene of a bitter industrial dispute in the 80s when they moved there from Fleet Street and took on the print unions.

This development is called London Dock (singular). It is on part of the site of the old London Docks (plural), which was a set of docks just downstream (east) of St Katharine Dock, which was built a little later. As a point of pedantry, note that it is St Katharine (with an 'a', not an 'e') Dock, not St Katharine's and certainly not just Katharine's :)

London docks (lowercase 'd') can refer to quite a large area of docks along both sides of the river, which made London the biggest port in the world at one time (before containerisation killed the docks), although the area is more commonly called Docklands. There is a Museum of the London Docklands on West India Quay, near Canary Wharf.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Yes indeed, it's a massive development which we have been following closely. It looks as though it's going to be very well designed - some of the apartments look spectacular ( at spectacular prices too!) it will make a big difference - the landscaping looks as though it will be beautiful but there is still an awful lot there still to do.

The Sunday Times have mostly moved out from the offices across the road - I believe they've gone down to SE1 near the Shard?

BTW , The Museum of London Docklands is well worth a visit as are Docklands themselves. The cable cars across the river are worth a trip especially on a good day as the views are incredible. Some lovely hotels there.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I posted this in another thread:-

Much depends on what you feel like! Have a think about these, in no particular order (I think you can get menus from all of their websites):-Wagamama in Tower Place (the website's map is not quite right, but Google Maps has the restaurant in the correct place) for very informal Japanese-inspired noodles and rice dishesBodean's, if you fancy a taste of home (which is, of course a stereotyping comment!)Natural Kitchen, on the ground floor of the Doubletree in Pepys StreetCote at St Katharine Docks for French brasserie foodTom's Kitchen in St Katharine Docks for modern British

In some other threads, you may see recommendations for Rosemary Lane, which is not far away. Unfortunately, that restaurant has closed.

• 1 year later...

An honourable addition to my list for this thread: Bravas Tapas, in the Ivory House at St Katharine Docks, for top quality and very interesting variations/tweaks on tapas. The main downsides are that the service can seem a little brusque (but who cares when the food is this good?) and the inside of the restaurant can get so hot that it feels like you're in Spain in the middle of summer (which could, I suppose, be part of the point).

Apparently the chef at Bravas is also responsible for Amaru, the Japanese/Peruvian sushi place next door, but I haven't yet tried that.

Frustratingly, neither restaurant seems to have a working website at the moment.

• 7 months later...

Another recommendation for St Katharine Docks: Emilia's Crafted Pasta in the Ivory House. Small, and a short menu. The portions aren't huge, but the flavours are simple, distinct, well-matched and satisfying.

Just west from Emilia's is a branch of Zizzi. There's another branch in Tower Place, near the Wagamama already mentioned earlier in this thread. When this chain was first started, we found it very disappointing. However, about two years ago it changed hands. Out of desperation one evening we went to our local branch and we were very pleasantly surprised by how much it had improved under its new ownership. To be fair, it's still chain Italian - but it's come on a long way from the days when we'd walk past it in favour of baked beans and toast at home.

(Incidentally, for anyone who's interested: Zizzi is currently owned by Bridgepoint Capital, who also own Pret a Manger.)