Visa problem entering UK; sent back home?

Has you ever heard of anyone being rejected at port and sent back home? I am waiting for a Settlement visa and if I don't get it in time, I still want to visit the UK with a Tourist visa. Normally, one would think this would be possible, as I am a US citizen. But if I don't get this visa, it will be my 2nd rejection from UK Visa & Immigration. Therefore, I could be refused entry and get sent back to the US (if they are suspicious that I'd stay there beyond the Tourist visa of 6 months).

I know people do get sent back from Heathrow: they are forced to return on an airplane back to the US where they have to re-file their application.

But Southampton doesn't have an international airport, so I'm wondering what the procedure might be (in the unlikely event that I were to get returned, which I doubt, but apparently it's a possibility.) Would I simply pay for the return journey on the cruise ship? I've also heard there could be a hefty fine. Any info would be helpful. Google hasn't helped.

I am struggling to fully make sense of your post (I am guessing you are arriving in Southampton on a transatlantic cruise?) and you are factually wrong in saying that Southampton doesn't have an international airport.

I would also say that any advice on this potentially complex topic given on an Internet forum is pretty worthless :)

But generally there are several options available to the Border Agency if refusing entry. You could be deported immediately, but as you say that could be difficult from the cruise terminal. You could be given temporary admission, and required to either leave before that expires or attend Border Agency offices, e.g. at Heathrow, for removal. Or you could simply be detained at a detention centre and removed later.

Has you ever heard of anyone being rejected at port and sent back home? I am waiting for a Settlement visa and if I don't get it in time, I still want to visit the UK with a Tourist visa. Normally, one would think this would be possible, as I am a US citizen. But if I don't get this visa, it will be my 2nd rejection from UK Visa & Immigration. Therefore, I could be refused entry and get sent back to the US (if they are suspicious that I'd stay there beyond the Tourist visa of 6 months).

I know people do get sent back from Heathrow: they are forced to return on an airplane back to the US where they have to re-file their application.

But Southampton doesn't have an international airport, so I'm wondering what the procedure might be (in the unlikely event that I were to get returned, which I doubt, but apparently it's a possibility.) Would I simply pay for the return journey on the cruise ship? I've also heard there could be a hefty fine. Any info would be helpful. Google hasn't helped.

??? Something doesn't make sense. I'm a US citizen who has made three trips trips to the UK in as many years . I've never applied for a visa traveling to the UK. Why do you think you'll need a tourist visa?

But Southampton doesn't have an international airport, so I'm wondering what the procedure might be (in the unlikely event that I were to get returned, which I doubt, but apparently it's a possibility.) Would I simply pay for the return journey on the cruise ship?
I believe that the Immigration Service has legal options, which include requiring the cruise line to fly you home. In practice, the cruise line may also prefer to do this anyway as compared to carrying you home on its ship. The Immigration Service also has options about what to do with you in the meantime; in theory, you could be kept in custody and taken to the airport and put in a flight.

Why do you think you'll need a tourist visa?
Making allowances for colloquial use of language, the OP may simply be thinking about arriving like any other US citizen tourist but being refused entry to the UK at that point instead of being allowed to enter for 6 months (which I think is the normal permitted period).

If you are a tourist visiting Britain from the USA then you do not normally need a visa that is correct.

However someone who has applied for a Settlement Visa and attempts to travel to the UK as a Tourist before that has been approved may be seen as attempting to circumventing that step. Particularly if that person has been refused entry on previous occasions for what ever reason.

It is certainly possible that cunardo will be refused entry and the Border agency take steps against them.

However someone who has applied for a Settlement Visa and attempts to travel to the UK as a Tourist before that has been approved may be seen as attempting to circumventing that step. Particularly if that person has been refused entry on previous occasions for what ever reason.
In theory, one thing that such a person could do is to choose to apply for a formal tourist visa, even though a visa is not strictly speaking necessary for someone of their nationality. If that tourist visa is granted and they then travel to the UK, then regardless of their previous UK immigration history they are less likely to encounter difficulties with admission to the UK.

But if I don't get this visa, it will be my 2nd rejection from UK Visa & Immigration.

So there has been a problem in the past already. Seek legal advice, or call the UK Border Agency.

I predict there are not going to be many people on this forum who have the specific expertise to help you with a complicated case like this. I am a British citizen and I studied law, but I have no idea what the actual problem is or what you want.

Like Cotwold Eagle has already said, a leisure internet forum is hardly the platform for a complex case like this.

Sounds like you had better make a phone call to their embassy. The have immigration at all entries into the country, you will have to go through customs and immigration. England is very strict, I personally would not take the trip until I knew the outcome.

I believe that the Immigration Service has legal options, which include requiring the cruise line to fly you home. In practice, the cruise line may also prefer to do this anyway as compared to carrying you home on its ship. The Immigration Service also has options about what to do with you in the meantime; in theory, you could be kept in custody and taken to the airport and put in a flight.

The cost of you going home will be at your expense.

The cost of you going home will be at your expense.
If the carrier has any way of recovering that from you. For example, if you hold a round-trip airline ticket, the airline will often use the second half of the ticket to take you home, waiving any fare restrictions to do so.

But the airline or (in this case) cruise line would have to comply with its legal obligation to take/send you home regardless of whether or not it can recover that cost from you (whether by this means or any other). And it would obviously be more difficult if you've travelled to the UK on a one-way ticket.

Thanks. I didn't know that Southampton had an international airport. I've read of people who get turned back at Heathrow and thought I'd ask on this forum of cruisers how the (potential) process of being deported might occur at a seaport (as opposed to the majority of tourists and settlers who arrive by air.)

"Pet Nit Noy," one never needs a Tourist Visa to enter the UK from the US if staying 180 days or less (6 months). But I applied to live there with my spouse and got turned down because it is extremely complicated, and then I applied again. If I get turned down a 2nd time, then they don't have to let me in as a tourist. They may choose to detain me/send me back. If I had 3 weeks' time, I could apply for a Visitor Visa, showing I have a job and home to return to, as well as a return ticket. But I won't have the 3 weeks needed.

Ideally, I'll be approved, and in time to take my transatlantic cruise! Thanks for welcoming me. If my application happens to be refused again, I want to be prepared with Plans B and C. After my first rejection, I felt paralyzed and didn't know what to do next. So I booked the voyage, thinking I'd simply go visit as a tourist. Then I heard that even 1 rejection can raise a red flag when trying to enter the UK. So I decided to apply again.

Sorry for the complicated legal issue. It seems impossible to get ahold of a soul at the Border Agency. I'll try to reach the Embassy. Thanks again, Globaliser.

• 4 months later...

Can you claim to be a Syrian refugee?

If it's advertisisng, what is it advertising?

IMHO, anyone who has had one application for entry to the UK rejected, and has another application in the pipeline, would be foolish to try to enter the UK again (by whatever means) until matters are settled.

And yes, Southampton does have an international airport, but that's irrelevant, because immigration procedures when arriving on a ship will take place at the port, not the airport.