Tell me about your Blue Island Dive in St Thomas

BillOh

• 2 weeks later...
Glad it was good. DH is diving with TiKaye and I'm hanging out at the resort for the day. Did you get a look at the place? Pretty?

It's very pretty and nice but not posh; it seems quaint to me. But I only saw the beach, dock, dive shop, and restaurant.

• 1 year later...

Just revisiting this thread as I wait for my next cruise, which I can't dive on :(. Spinal Fusion Surgery 1/10. Heading to the southern Caribbean and some pretty tame touristy excursions.

My dive with Blue Island turned out to be a very nice experience. I will use them again in the future. We came in on Allure and that was walking distance to their boat. Allure came in late, but being right there they were very aware and ready for us. There were only 3 of us diving and were relative beginners. The only negative experience was my own fault. I had a Sea Life camera secured to my BCD and as I jumped off teh boat it smacked the water and was detroyed! Live and learn.

• 2 months later...
I just noticed this diver's backup regulator flopping around loose. I would think that would be a bad idea, especially on a wreck dive.

That is a bad idea (and bad practice) on ANY dive let alone a wreck dive.

Yeah, it really is. My fiance is a instructor (MTSD) and he always leaves his octo floating free for a student to grab. On one dive in Roatan, three of us were diving together and he said let's head up. I was having trouble clearing my ears and had to stop and couldn't follow him up, plus for my DM training he was having me watch our friend who was a relatively new diver. So, I stayed with our friend and came up with him. I got on the boat and my fiance wasn't there. I knew something was wrong. I was looking and looking and couldn't see anything. What really made me mad was that no one else on the boat was concerned even when I said there is a diver MISSING!

Finally, he surfaced a distance from the boat. It turned out that his free-hanging octo had caught in some coral and he couldn't get free. He finally had to take his bc off to get free. He surfaced with no air in the tank. Now, when we dive, I always remind him to tuck the octo in because if I need it, I know where to go. I don't need that scare again.

Oh yeah, I also chewed him out for not looking back to see if we were following. But he said, he knew it and wanted me to have experience guiding our friend. Uh huh....

Laurie, those pictures are awesome! Thanks for sharing them. They reminded me why I love to dive as much as I do. :D

The incident you described in Roatan does sound scary. I agree, I would be pretty upset if no one else on the dive boat knew or cared that there was a diver missing. Glad that story had a happy ending. I always check my gear before I get in the water, but I think I'll use your story as an extra reminder to be sure everything is as it should be before I dive.