Touring & Lord Mayor's Show

We are going to be staying at the DoubleTree Westminster, 30 John Islip St. prior to our transatlantic in November and our last day in London is the day of the Lord Mayor's Show. We want to see that but since our time in London is limited, we hate to not get to see some of the other sites on our long list. I've looked at the map of the procession but not being familiar with the city, I'm having difficulty figuring out what we might see that's not affected by the procession route. Hope I'm making sense here!! Does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks, Dotty

We are going to be staying at the DoubleTree Westminster, 30 John Islip St. prior to our transatlantic in November and our last day in London is the day of the Lord Mayor's Show. We want to see that but since our time in London is limited, we hate to not get to see some of the other sites on our long list. I've looked at the map of the procession but not being familiar with the city, I'm having difficulty figuring out what we might see that's not affected by the procession route. Hope I'm making sense here!! Does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks, Dotty

Google LORD MATOR'S SHOW and you will find all the details and a map of where will be affected.

We've been in London in November and have always gone out of our way to avoid it. The crowds are insane and if your not into crowds it is not for you.

Google LORD MATOR'S SHOW and you will find all the details and a map of where will be affected.

We've been in London in November and have always gone out of our way to avoid it. The crowds are insane and if your not into crowds it is not for you.

I have checked the Lord Mayor's website and am asking if there's some sites that we can tour that would not be affected.

The Lord Mayor's Show only really impacts the City of London (broadly speaking, the financial district, also know as the Square Mile). Most of 'tourist London' is outside the City, primarily to the west. The distinction between the City of London and the city that is called London is quite useful to understand :)

The one very obvious major site that is on the parade route is St. Paul's.

Other than that, the whole of Westminster ('Big Ben', Westminster Abbey, Cabinet War Rooms), Buckingham Palace, the Royal Parks, most museums and galleries (with the exception of the Museum of London), anything south of the river (IWM, the Eye) will be unaffected. The embankment is closed round to Westminster bridge (near your hotel), so don't plan on a riverside walk, though.

Probably more people around than usual on the tubes and trains, but you will be able to find plenty to do in London where you will be almost unaware that The Lord Mayor's Show is happening!

Thanks for the info. We'll probably go to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Cabinet War Rooms, Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London on Thursday afternoon, after we arrive and Friday, leaving us Saturday to see some of the Lord Mayor's procession and flotilla.

There is this year :)

http://www.lordmayorsshow.org/fireworks/

NB the date is wrong on that page, it seems!

It looks like they put the fireworks dsplay on the schedule but for the wrong day. Oh well!
9 November 2013 was the date of the show last year, so I think that the webpage is simply out of date. If there were fireworks last year, then it may be that the omitted year was actually 2012 because of a surfeit of celebrations that year.