Navigator review

drcandon

Navigator review March 12 - 22.

Well, we have been home almost and week not and wish we were back on board..

Since we have now been on 3 ships I thought a review from a newbie perspective (only a recent convert to the line) might be appreciated . Especially since there were a good number of first time Regent cruisers and/or first time Navigator folks on this cruise and may not have a view on the other two ships (again from a newbie perspective). As a little background, we are not new to cruising, but as I said earlier relatively new to Regent. So when applicable I will try to put in brief contrast points between the other ships. Remember this is my creative opinion from my experience on the ship and others could have seen things quite .

Embarkation. Very smooth this time, much better then the Mariner (complications with Ft. Lauderdale security) and better then the Voyager (again Italian authorities). I am afraid the days of security clearing folks in the lounge of the ship might be in the past. I could be wrong, but with the heightened tensions again on shore screening seems the norm. The mild crowding was just a matter of a lot of buses arriving the same time and the Regent agents assigning rooms. However on a plus note to Regent, unlike other cruise lines that have 10 agents to 2000 people, they had 10 to 12 for 400 or so...much superior. The lines went fast - on board with Champagne waiting. This time they allowed us to drop bags in the room - even though the rooms were not quite ready and up we went to the pool deck for food, then roamed the ship for photos. In no time the rooms were ready and then the arduous task of unpacking for 10 hopefully glorious days.

Ship Condition - extremely clean. On par with the Voyager, maybe a bit better and in most ways overall better prepared then the Mariner. Now you have to realize that we were on the Voyager as it came out of “dry” dock last summer. So I was expecting chaos on her and found only a couple wet carpets. As far as the Mariner looking back on my extensive notes the Mariner seemed less so, I wish I had more details, it was just a notation I made. Back to the Navigator, a couple of carpets look in some spots like they do need to be replaced, but they ( the ships crew) were always vacuuming them. Yes, this was the smallest ship we have sailed on and to us it felt small - not cramped just small. Cramped is 2500 people on a 74000 ton ship when you have to pass folks sideways in the hall, this had none of that. The public spaces were roomy and never ever crowded. It just felt a bit cramped, on the second “forced” sea day during the show at night - every seat was taken. Coffee connection - way superior to the Voyager and at least equal to maybe better in some respects then the Mariner. The Voyager coffee connection felt cafeteria like..hard to explain. Show lounge...very well laid out - good line of sights for all seats. I would say for the number of people it was good use of space - equal to the other 2 ships. Okay I have to mention here the vibration in the aft, yes it is bad, especially when the ship is going full tilt in rougher seas. This was a sold out cruise, and one couple of nice ladies we talked to said they were having real difficulties sleeping. We hit rough seas once and during that time La Veranda had to hold onto things...Now once we hit calmer waters the same ladies said that either they were getting used to it or it had diminished. All I can say is that we have been on another cruise line, aft suites and the rocking and rolling and vibration on that big ship was pretty bad...one night it was so bad we had to take the glass out of the cabinet to sleep....so this is not exclusive to that ship. Overall for a small ship, I was impressed.

Restaurants..Again, perhaps is is just because there are 200 less people then the other 2 ships but the only restaurant that was busy and a bit crazy at times was the La Veranda at breakfast - that was busy. I think the problem is that they carved a fairly big hunk out of it to serve Prime 7 - which was adequate Remember, I am the guy who really does not like Prime 7 , I prefer Signatures on the other 2 ships. The Navigator does not have Signatures. That being said Prime 7 is cosy - not cramped. We never ate a Set Mari - so no comment - sorry. The pool grill is way way way better laid out then the other 2 ships, yes, it is busy at lunch, but you can always find a table or a place to sit at least - albeit with other people, but still. On the Mariner - for some reason it was a fight just to sit down. The Compass Rose was very roomy, never crowded, full some nights but the turnover was good, always a seat, yes lots of folks sat as a couple. That brings me to the food..okay I know the chefs keep changing and just in a month they will change again ( I found out that David - the maitre’d from Prime 7 on Voyager is coming to Navigator as restaurant manager in the Compass Rose - a definite job upgrade - good for him). The food on Navigator was hands down the best as compared to the other 2 ships. What was supposed to be hot was, cold was cold, not over spiced or under spiced ( for my taste anyways). Presentation was superior. Now don’t get me wrong the other 2 ships are head and shoulders above any other line we have sailed on even the coveted food on Celebrity.

Crew....I would have to say a tie between the Voyager and Navigator on crew. I never thought we could get a better waiter then in the Voyager ( Super Mario), but Roxanna on this one was just as good. Only once was the service a bit slow, but I later found out the kitchen had a few problems that night. Again I am not putting down the Mariner, the crew on the Mariner is as I have said before - so far beyond the other major cruise lines, they should take lessons (the other lines I mean). This is not meant to be a brag but we did not have a butler on the Mariner - on Voyager and Navigator we did, they are professional and well trained. The crew honestly look happy. All the crew always had a “hello” or at least a smile or nod.

Room - The room was actually bigger then I thought. We had a penthouse which I know is the same as the regular veranda rooms, except with the addition of a butler. We did have a penthouse on the Voyager and it was a much bigger room. Bigger does not necessarily mean better laid out. The usage of space was quite well thought out and it never felt crowded. We had a concierge/veranda level room on the Mariner and it was the same sort of layout but is a bit smaller due to the walls being a bit closer I think. Still the Mariner room was good too. Anyway, this room was clean, well laid out, well appointed. My wife loves the walk in closet and the bathroom - as compared to other lines is actually quite big. Now, for the bad, our air conditioning fan was anemic at best, yes, the air was cold(ish) coming out of it, but when working out I puff harder. I understand several rooms on that floor had similar problems. However to their credit, we were given a big fan that stirred the air up nicely and provided much needed white noise as well. The room walls seemed a bit thin and you could hear the next door neighbor and his TV. But that could be because there was no air conditioning fan noise.

And one last bad thing, the brown water problem surfaced about half way during the cruise. I talked to a maintenance fellow in the laundry room and he said it is common and comes and goes (his words). Now, the water is not bad and does not stain MOST clothes. I said most - I wear a lot of technical fibers and white ones at that in the tropics and they do stain and badly. Luckily it comes out at home with whitener. It did not seem to affect white cottons. Just a warning.

Gym....okay the Mariner has this one hands down. With the Navigator believe it or not second and the Voyager a cramped third. Yes, there are fewer machines, but with fewer guests the only machines that were busy were the elliptical. The room itself was quite big and had adequate machines that could be varied to hit most muscle groups. And they had free weights up to 55 lbs which was great as other lines do not.

Lounges - unfortunately this is where this ship goes down somewhat - really only 2 decent lounges. The aft one is great - lots of room. The forward one feels like they cut a hunk out of the show “theatre” for it...They did keep the Coffee connection open on the forced sea day as a lounge, so I will give them kudos for that. Overall, pretty good. However the Mariner has the winning hand for lounges even though the Voyager has a forward lounge the Mariner one has better views seats and “feels” better. If I remember correctly the Mariner lounge is bigger. I took a look at the photos I took and unless I used a different lens, the Mariner forward lounge is bigger. Still, the lounges on the Navigator are nicely appointed and the bar staff super friendly and yes, they actually do remember your favorite, after a couple days of course. The only time the lounge was slightly crowded was the Beatles night.

Park Avenue...I am probably going to get flamed for this, but unlike the Voyager which hacked out way way too much space for this wasted venue, the space for Park Avenue is just a small room, that you can thankfully ignore. The Mariners space for Park Avenue is large as well bit seems to be more out of the way.

Library - surprisingly not too bad. However the Mariner is the winner for this one. But for a small ship, the selection of games and books is quite good and which is more importantly , available if you want them. In others words they had adequate supply.

Excursions. Yes I know and have read in depth the opinions on the “free” excursions and the fact that buses pull up and they “pack” you on. Well, flame me if you like, but they don’t pack you on. There are lots of free seats. The bus condition is good. And if they are Regent only excursions ( ie not a lot of other ships in) then the actual venue is never crowded, the tour groups are small and well organized. the tour leaders are good and most quite knowledgeable and enthusiastic. If you think I am biased, you are right ...try the same thing on other lines where there are 1800 to 5000 people per ship. The tours jam you in the busses like sardines, rush you through the tours and because there are literally a thousand other folks on tour, they are packed as well. And add insult to injury you pay and arm and a leg for them and they are crappy. Another reason I choose Regent. Most of the folks I talked to on this ship were completely happy with the tours and VERY happy they did not have to shell out more money as they are part of the package. Say what you will, but a lot of guests felt this and the other inclusions were the reason they switched to Regent and stay with Regent. Oh yes and most of them were gold and above.

Air flights - we had a direct from our home country , yes I know we are lucky. went smooth with no issues. Transfers, hotel, etc etc, again all included. And in Miami where everyone has their hand in your pocket I am glad it was included. I talked to a younger Dutch couple and they transferred once in the US. They felt Regent did a better job then they could have. (they have been to the US a lot I guess).

I guess that about covers it. I am certainly not a Regent cheerleader. Certain things on this cruise irritated me. Especially when we missed a port, and 2 other ships where sitting docked. I was indeed miffed on that one. The air conditioning quite frankly sucked and we complained several times about it Yes, they came and looked ,even tore open the ceiling to adjust vents, but nothing could be done on that cruise. The brown water stains on my technical shirts were annoying. The ship did shake and shimmy a bit. Would we go back on her, yes. I wish the eastern route had one more island stop in the first couple days and I would take that one. I don’t like sea days - sorry. Would I recommend Regent - you bet.. I did a cost per cruise as compared to the last 10 day one we took on a comparative line and including everything (air, booze, specialty restaurant, soda, tours transfer, etc etc etc), Regent is within an acceptable range.

Hope this helps some folks with their decision.

Overall, one of the best cruises we have taken

wripor..yes - sort of...the port at Costa Maya has three docks that I could see - there might be more...two are parallel to the shore and one is perpendicular. A HAL ship and a RC ship made it in ahead of us and took the two parallel docks and the wind was blowing across the parallel docks, so I guess from the north...the perpendicular dock would therefore have the wind blowing on the ship broadside as she tries to moor up. I guess the ship is "underpowered" that way ( not my words - directly from the bridge) and could not sheer in sideways..and of course without tugs to push, well you get the picture...the wind was not that strong and the waves were not very high..but the ship was not built to do that - even with new pods and stabilisers on her.

Now, why we did not tender was a topic of hot contention that day...as I said the seas were a lot less rough then the day at Grand Cayman and we used the ships tenders for that one.

Also...unfortunately and as luck would have it, this was a new captain, experienced, definitely, but still new to the Navigator...so whether that factor was at play is debatable as he was supposed to be very experienced at the open ocean...who knows..

I heard that a few of the old captains of other vessels on board got quite cranky and said a few unkind words...again rumours..did not hear it myself...

Drcandon, nice review, very thorough, but some left me confused. Of course, you are not a newbie to Regent if you have been on the Mariner and Voyager, and this was on the Navigator. I don't know of one of them where you can clear security on the ship, it is all done in the terminal?

I will agree, have been on Navigator several times. A big shakier than the others, and I've had that brown water, too. Most annoying when it happens to you, and I'm sorry to hear this still occurs. Same with air conditioning problems.

Not sure what you mean by Park Avenue. You seem to be talking about different ships to me. I didn't even know there was a coffee connection on the Navigator, just a very small computer room with the Navigator Lounge next to it. there's the lounge aft, Galileos, and I don't know of one forward. The theater is also aft, and the Stars Lounge, but that has not cut out space from the theater that I know of,

Anyway, enjoyed your review. I'm just confused!

Edited by jhp

The Coffee in the morning on the Navigator is superb and cozy and everything one could want in a morning cup! Little nibbles there as well and the coffee is made to perfection!

It's directly across from the library.

We love the Navigator in every way--and certainly don't mind missing a port every so often due to heavy seas--missed two on the last cruise! It was quite alright to miss St Martin with 6 yes SIX other ships there!!

Service has been superb and we do like to sit in the same dining area each night with the same waitstaff-- the service is simply grand! We very rarely are there more than 1 1/2 hours and do not feel rushed.

We are very much looking forward to the next two cruises on the Navigator

Debi

drcandon. Glad to hear a positive comment on the excursions. Our opinion exactly. Some on this board, not you TC, complain about full buses, poor guides and uninteresting destinations. I am not sure about the value because it is always difficult to price an excursion, whether public or private. I will say, however, we have cruised literally all over the world and feel that Regent excursions, in general, are as good as any; this includes SS and Tauck.

drcandon. Glad to hear a positive comment on the excursions. Our opinion exactly. Some on this board, not you TC, complain about full buses, poor guides and uninteresting destinations. I am not sure about the value because it is always difficult to price an excursion, whether public or private. I will say, however, we have cruised literally all over the world and feel that Regent excursions, in general, are as good as any; this includes SS and Tauck.

Before I reply to your comment I wanted to reply to jhp's post about the Navigator not having a Coffee Connection. From what I've heard, the Navigator Lounge has more or less become a Coffee Connection. They ship apparently didn't have space for one for they use the lounge.

newlondon: You are correct that I complain about excursions but not the things you mentioned above. There are great guides, good guides and poor guides. I do not recall commenting on destinations except for making the general statement that we really enjoyed the excursions in the Middle East and found the excursions in South America lacking. My issue with excursions is the fact that they are included and you cannot opt out. The buses are not packed (never said they were) but I have seen 6-8 busloads of passengers doing the same excursion. While Regent tries to put them on different routes, we have had them meet up at a restroom stop which caused very long lines. We have not experienced the volume of passengers on a Silversea or Oceania excursion. Because so many passengers are taking the same excursion, we have had to have lunch at 3:00 p.m. (other buses got earlier time slots) and had a stop where they served wine, cheese and ham at 9:00 a.m. (same reason). I could go on and on about specific negative experiences on excursions (and many positive ones) but that is not what this thread is about.

In terms of the Navigator, I'm simply not a fan. When we return to the Caribbean this winter, it will be on the Riviera. I did enjoy the review -- especially from someone who has been on other Regent ships. Everyone has different tastes and I'm happy that the Navigator met his expectations in most areas.

Yes, sorry I meant Park West, regardless, the outfit that tries to sell overpriced paintings and such...

I assumed the Coffee Connection has always been where it is now...deck 6 aft just ahead of the Stars Lounge. Since I have not been on the ship before I was not aware it was called something else. Anyway, that is where in the morning and during the day they have the coffee "urns" set up and all sorts of treats. The Barista is now in that location...if he is not the Barista, then he is as good as ones on shore.

Looking back in retrospect I am even more impressed that a ship this size can offer the amenities it does and never feel crowded. If they would fix the brown water (only because it stains technical materials) and add a bit more puff to the air ,chances are I will go again...maybe I will just get the fan again....

TC, I wish you had read my post without prejudice. I specifically said this was not directed at your complaints. It would be nice to be able to opt out; I challenge you, however, to figure out a way to do this and then have a standardized pricing plan.

Opt out for all? You're giving up a major selling point and profits. Opt out for selected? When and then how do you plan? It imo is all or nothing and Regent is clearly successful with no opt out.

TC, I wish you had read my post without prejudice. I specifically said this was not directed at your complaints. It would be nice to be able to opt out; I challenge you, however, to figure out a way to do this and then have a standardized pricing plan.

Opt out for all? You're giving up a major selling point and profits. Opt out for selected? When and then how do you plan? It imo is all or nothing and Regent is clearly successful with no opt out.

Sorry - I misread your post. I agree that Regent is clearly successful in getting customers (mostly from non-luxury cruise lines) onto Regent. If this is their goal, they met it. My vision of an opt out plan is as follows:

A passenger may opt out of excursions for perhaps an amount equal to the Regent's average cost of one "included" excursion per day*. If a person decides they would like to take advantage of an excursion, they simply pay for it. The computer could surely keep track of this just as it does for people who have included internet, limited internet or must pay for internet. Alternatively, Regent could sell all-inclusive packages to passengers -- somewhat similar to what is done on Oceania.

This allows people who want excursions to have them and could actually bring back some customers who left Regent specifically because of "included" excursions. I realize that making this change is more complicated than what it seems but, IMO, included excursions has lowered the quality of the Regent Experience.

*"Per day" would be one excursion for every non-sea day.

Sorry - I misread your post. I agree that Regent is clearly successful in getting customers (mostly from non-luxury cruise lines) onto Regent. If this is their goal, they met it. My vision of an opt out plan is as follows:

A passenger may opt out of excursions for perhaps an amount equal to the Regent's average cost of one "included" excursion per day*. If a person decides they would like to take advantage of an excursion, they simply pay for it. The computer could surely keep track of this just as it does for people who have included internet, limited internet or must pay for internet. Alternatively, Regent could sell all-inclusive packages to passengers -- somewhat similar to what is done on Oceania.

This allows people who want excursions to have them and could actually bring back some customers who left Regent specifically because of "included" excursions. I realize that making this change is more complicated than what it seems but, IMO, included excursions has lowered the quality of the Regent Experience.

*"Per day" would be one excursion for every non-sea day.

This in practice is exactly the same as reducing the stateroom fare and charging for excursions, and defeat the "all-inclusive" marketing tactic. If prospective passengers know they can get the money taken off, it's quite obvious that they are just being charged that amount for each excursion and Regent is not "all-inclusive."

If someone doesn't want to take ship's excursions, there are other cruise lines where they are not included. Like Oceania. Regent does not want to be Oceania.

Let's move on.

Edited by marinaro44

This in practice is exactly the same as reducing the stateroom fare and charging for excursions, and defeat the "all-inclusive" marketing tactic. If prospective passengers know they can get the money taken off, it's quite obvious that they are just being charged that amount for each excursion and Regent is not "all-inclusive."

If someone doesn't want to take ship's excursions, there are other cruise lines where they are not included. Like Oceania. Regent does not want to be Oceania.

Let's move on.

You are correct....... Regent does not want to be Oceania. However, some long time Regent passengers do not want to pay for something they will not use. In fact, some have stopped sailing on Regent!!!!! No other "all-inclusive" luxury cruise lines includes excursions. IMO, all-inclusive pertains to onboard only (except the spa and boutique that are contractors). You can opt out of airfare, opt out of hotel but not excursions.

P.S. Regent does not have "staterooms".....they only have suites.

Edited by Travelcat2

You are correct....... Regent does not want to be Oceania. However, some long time Regent passengers do not want to pay for something they will not use. In fact, some have stopped sailing on Regent!!!!! No other "all-inclusive" luxury cruise lines includes excursions. IMO, all-inclusive pertains to onboard only (except the spa and boutique that are contractors). You can opt out of airfare, opt out of hotel but not excursions.

P.S. Regent does not have "staterooms".....they only have suites.

Suites have multiple rooms. See any good dictionary. Regent engages in hype calling all of their staterooms suites.

Many of us would prefer not having specialty restaurants "included," as that causes problems in making spur of the moment reservations, as everyone wants to get their money's worth. Others don't drink alcohol or very little and would rather not pay for those who drink like fish. Once you get into giving credits for "included" items, you open Pandora's box.

As I wrote above, those who don't want to pay for included shore excursions have other cruise lines to choose from. I'm really tired of reading this rant on nearly every thread on the Regent board. Time to move on. It is what it is.

As I wrote above, those who don't want to pay for included shore excursions have other cruise lines to choose from. I'm really tired of reading this rant on nearly every thread on the Regent board. Time to move on. It is what it is.

In a way I agree with you, but it must be said, that perhaps if there are enough complaints, Regent might change something. They certainly won't if no one complains.

And if we don't rant, Regent will not know of our dissatisfaction. Former Regent customers visit this board upon occasion and make it known why they are no longer sailing on Regent. After all, this is Cruise "Critic" and you will find most subjects repeated over and over. It is the nature of posting boards. I do agree that "it is what it is" but need to add....... at the moment.

marinaro44: Not sure how long you have been sailing on Regent but excursions were not included until the downturn of the economy. It was a way to fill the ships. It can be taken away as easily as it was added and not have an impact on the all-inclusivity of Regent. Onboard items are all-inclusive. Regent as well as other luxury cruise lines add and/or remove items that take place off of the ship (airplane fares, hotels, excursions) and they all remain all-inclusive.

Guess we just have to disagree about Regent's lovely suites:o

Edited by Travelcat2

TC, Financial results speak volumes. It works, and those who don't like it; as many have said, have other lines to choose from.

Why expect Regent to cater to a few when they don't need to?

Since you like SS and Oceania so much even you have alternatives. BTW I think you will find that SS is even pricier than Regent if you choose many of their excursions, which are quite good.

TC, Financial results speak volumes. It works, and those who don't like it; as many have said, have other lines to choose from.

Why expect Regent to cater to a few when they don't need to?

Since you like SS and Oceania so much even you have alternatives. BTW I think you will find that SS is even pricier than Regent if you choose many of their excursions, which are quite good.

Agree that Silversea has good excursions but we rarely take them. We prefer doing our own thing. We sail on Oceania for the price - particularly in the Caribbean. It will never be our first choice but some of their suites are quite amazing (as will be the suites on the Explorer).

As you may have noticed over the years, it takes a lot for those of us with Platinum, Gold or Titanium benefits to simply change cruise lines. IMO, there are more than a "few" Regent customers (not necessarily newbies) who are not happy with paying for excursions they do not want.

Keep in mind that I am not suggesting that included excursions go away (yet) -- only suggesting an opt out program. I must say that I find it interesting that I am one of Regent's biggest supporters -- love almost everything about the Regent Experience and get criticized and told to sail on another line because I want an opt out program for excursions. :confused:

The bottom line for me is that I will continue voicing my opinions - both positive and negative whenever the subjects come up. You have no idea how much I hold my tongue and do not rant about some of the passengers that want included excursions (their attitudes and behavior onboard).

Edited by Travelcat2

You may well be right that there are more than a few.

The bottom line, however, is that Regent despite some complaints such as yours appears to be doing well and shows no signs of discontinuing the program.

My observation on this board is there are more favorable comments about the all inclusive, excursions as well, than complaints.

You may well be right that there are more than a few.

The bottom line, however, is that Regent despite some complaints such as yours appears to be doing well and shows no signs of discontinuing the program.

My observation on this board is there are more favorable comments about the all inclusive, excursions as well, than complaints.

You're right -- the people who no longer sail on Regent do not visit the board constantly to tell you that they have left. If you read the Crystal, Silversea and/or Seabourn boards, you will see them there.

I really don't know how many times I need to say that I am NOT suggesting that they discontinue the program". It is bringing Regent a lot of business from premium and below cruise lines. There may be a point in the future where it is no longer necessary to offer an expensive program that is very difficult to maintain to draw new customers.

I read Crystal and SS regularly and do not see a preponderance of cruisers switching because of included excursions. What I do see is most posters stating that all the lines are exceptional and each chooses depending on itineraries and perceived value--which obviously is personal.

I concur here, Newlondon. It is all about what suits the individual, and varies. Some people move on to another cruise line and say no more. They know what they are saving, or not, and often have no need or inclination to comment. It does take some research to figure it out, and depends so much on where you are going, and what you want.

When I take my adult children to the Med, included tours work for me and them, they use them every single port. Private tours extra, and very expensive i n that part of the world.

Elsewhere, better value on your own if you take to the trouble in planning, on another line. I enjoy it as part of the anticipation.

If you go with the other luxury cruise lines (Silversea, Seabourn, with same size cabins) it is only apples to apples to determine your value after adding on private guides, or booking ship tours. My opinion about Crystal different simply due to the different types of cabins available with big differences in pricing.