More flooded cabins on Dream

It has just been reported on FB by someone who is on Dream this week that there has been another flood. Apparently the flood has brought down ceilings on Deck 5, cabins 5136 to 5150.

A few weeks ago the Lido Restaurant was flooded and out of action for a few days, last week some cabins on Deck 6 were flooded by clean water, but if the water has come in through the ceilings on Deck 5 this time, goodness knows what damage has been done to people's belongings! :(.

It's peak season too, so less chance of being moved to other cabins.

Although this has created mass panic on the FB page the panic has resulted from 1 post.

Surely if it were true, more people currently on the ship would have commented and photos of blocked corridors and red and white tape would have been posted.

Thomson have not commented, so does that say nothing has happened.

I personally think it is scare mongering

Although this has created mass panic on the FB page the panic has resulted from 1 post.

Surely if it were true, more people currently on the ship would have commented and photos of blocked corridors and red and white tape would have been posted.

Thomson have not commented, so does that say nothing has happened.

I personally think it is scare mongering

Don't forget Thomson don't respond to anything if it is customer related. It may be scaremongering, but on the other hand.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm very sorry for starting this post, especially if it has worried anyone. I genuinely believed it when I saw it on FB. Why would someone write such a comment....a troll? :(:(

Jackie, it's probably true. Don't beat yourself up, it's fine, unless you are on Dream of course! Why would anyone write this if it wasn't true? What would they have to gain? Don't worry!!

Jackie, it's probably true. Don't beat yourself up, it's fine, unless you are on Dream of course! Why would anyone write this if it wasn't true? What would they have to gain? Don't worry!!

Thanks R**. I'm not beating myself up. :). You thinking about bruises, again! Lol. And yes, we are on the Dream in 44 days. I've not mentioned it to DH. Don't want him moaning before we get on the ship. :eek:

one person posts that just 2 cabins have suffered floods ....and people are calling for the ship to be scrapped?!

leaks and burst pipes can happen on any ship (or anywhere)....yes its inconvenient/irritating to read of these problems but its not armageddon

the crew will quickly fix the problem (most passengers wont even notice that there has been a problem)

i think (if i remember correctly) that the new cunard ship suffered similar problems on its first voyage a couple of years ago?

This ship was old in 2002- our last voyage on her when she was part of HAL.

Why do the Brits accept cast off ships? And pay over the odds? There are far better options...for less money.

Personal choice! If you haven't travelled with a cruise line then I think it's hard to understand or imagine the 'je ne sais quoi' which can pull at people's heart strings. The ambience, warmth and friendship can carry more weight with some passengers than what they may consider to be more superficial features like the hardware. Horses for courses!

There has been a great deal of debate on here about the merits of Thomson, with people staunchly defending a much loved product (note the term 'product' which encompasses much more than the ship and its age!) whilst others express reservations especially regarding more recent changes. But very few berate the older ship aspect. And if you read the thread on 'Why Thomson?' perhaps you wil get a flavour of why many continue to sail with Thomson.

That doesn't mean we're blind to short comings but by the same token we may be making those decisions based on features of cruising we value. I have been critical of some aspects of late but that is not to do with the ships, more management direction and I still recognise the many pluses to sailing with them.

You often pop up on this forum making the same point. You infer we aren't discerning or sufficiently aware of alternatives (which comes over as slightly condescending - I apologise in advance if that is not intended but that's the impression I get after quite a few posts of this ilk).

Many of us have tried other lines and still rate Thomson. It all depends on the experience you want and value. Bigger and newer isn't always better in all respects. It all comes down to what the individual traveller prefers. Perhaps some people value that enough to 'pay over the odds'.

Have you ever travelled with Thomson? I guess not. I find it hard to understand the perspective of anyone comparing cruise lines when they haven't sampled what they are berating.

I'm very sorry for starting this post, especially if it has worried anyone. I genuinely believed it when I saw it on FB. Why would someone write such a comment....a troll? :(:(

Jakanne - I don't think you should feel like that at all.

You genuinely reported what you had read. We need to know exactly the nature of the problem; it could be as was originally posted, it may have been exaggerated, it may be a very transitory situation which is already under control and has had minimal effect other than for one or two cabin occupants, or even possibly completely untrue.

Whatever....... we have a forum to exchange information, seek information and hopefully get to the bottom of any issues. We can't and shouldn't suppress information because we don't like it or others may not. Clarification will emerge as people respond especially others who were on this cruise.

We sailed on Celebration three weeks after her maiden voyage with Thomson which was a disaster with flooding, plumbing issues and toilet problems. Many passengers were disembarked at Lisbon to a hotel, the cruise curtailed and the ship limped home to the UK. It made the national press. We were very concerned but I can honestly say we wouldn't have known when we were on board that there had ever been an issue and we were blown away by the cruise.

So I think if there are problems Thomson will deal with them very quickly and those still to travel shouldn't be worried.

And as for not reporting intelligence we gather I think that would be a very sad and counter-productive stance. We read this forum to be informed. I can't understand people who only want to read the good things. Knowledge is power - to make informed choices.

I hope for all concerned that all is OK on board now serious and wish everyone a lovely holiday. Remember our positive experience on Celebration after what was undoubtedly a really serious problem - and all was well. ;)

I was recently aboard P&O Oceana for 19 nights. There were 4 floods from the ceiling, a large one and several days later 3 simultaneous smaller ones further along the corridor. All this on one corridor about 30 yards long.

By large I mean a 3 foot diameter wet carpet ;)

nobody was suggesting that they scrap the old girl who is coming up to her 15th birthday :)

Funny that you don't hear of endless complaints about Fred Olsen ships, they are old too and I bet FO don't spend any more money on maintenance than Thomson do.

Kruzseeka

Well said.

I can't be alone in getting a little p***ed off with being referred to as 'Brits' and constantly being told there are better ships and cheaper.

I don't care!

I love the Thomson ships and local airports-I won't be moving to the glitzy ships and London flights!

Flopsy

This ship was old in 2002- relatively speaking!!** - our last voyage on her when she was part of HAL - noted

Why do the Brits accept cast off ships?

Why do some passengers want to sail on floating towerblocks that can not go to certain ports as they are too large to dock there ?

And pay over the odds?

Not seen a great deal of cruises for UK citizens at a great deal less by time flights are added.Will agree that Thomson prices have edged up.

There are far better options...for less money.

**You should post this on Fred Olsen also as their ships are even older !!

Guess from your user name you are in New England or close that part of the world so you are unlikely to have tried Thomson but equally understand why you would not have and as you prefer newer ships ( and there is nothing wrong with that in itself ) you are unlikely to try Thomson. Happy Cruising ... whoever you choose to go with.

Personal choice! If you haven't travelled with a cruise line then I think it's hard to understand or imagine the 'je ne sais quoi' which can pull at people's heart strings. The ambience, warmth and friendship can carry more weight with some passengers than what they may consider to be more superficial features like the hardware. Horses for courses!

There has been a great deal of debate on here about the merits of Thomson, with people staunchly defending a much loved product (note the term 'product' which encompasses much more than the ship and its age!) whilst others express reservations especially regarding more recent changes. But very few berate the older ship aspect. And if you read the thread on 'Why Thomson?' perhaps you wil get a flavour of why many continue to sail with Thomson.

That doesn't mean we're blind to short comings but by the same token we may be making those decisions based on features of cruising we value. I have been critical of some aspects of late but that is not to do with the ships, more management direction and I still recognise the many pluses to sailing with them.

You often pop up on this forum making the same point. You infer we aren't discerning or sufficiently aware of alternatives (which comes over as slightly condescending - I apologise in advance if that is not intended but that's the impression I get after quite a few posts of this ilk).

Many of us have tried other lines and still rate Thomson. It all depends on the experience you want and value. Bigger and newer isn't always better in all respects. It all comes down to what the individual traveller prefers. Perhaps some people value that enough to 'pay over the odds'.

Have you ever travelled with Thomson? I guess not. I find it hard to understand the perspective of anyone comparing cruise lines when they haven't sampled what they are berating.

And here rests the case for the defence "m'lud" !! Up to your usual high standard too !

I don't think we should get too hung up on whether cruise line 'A' is better than cruise line 'B'. After all, they are all selling a product aimed at the sector they wish to attract. At the end of the day, we, the consumers will make a subjective decision on who to go with. In my case, it is a combination of budget and itinerary. I have chosen Thomson always for the itinerary and before now it was a good budget choice as well. I choose, for example, Celebrity, because I like the up market feel and as for budget, my next Celebrity cruise is cheaper than the Thompson one I am on in just 4 days! So, you pay your money and take your choice. I do enjoy these boards!

Kruzseeka

Well said.

I can't be alone in getting a little p***ed off with being referred to as 'Brits' and constantly being told there are better ships and cheaper.

I don't care!

I love the Thomson ships and local airports-I won't be moving to the glitzy ships and London flights!

Flopsy

Kruzseeka Well said from me too. Love Thomson - haven't tried any others but don't feel inclined to when I am happy where I am. And that is even after we did have a flooding issue on Majesty this year.

Well said Kruzseeka. I have had experience of people "looking down" on Thomson, mainly people who have never been on Thomson :rolleyes: and people who only go on P&O, Celebrity, Princess etc. As you know I also like Fred and Princess, but not so much Celebrity and RCI. I have not yet been on P&O (next year perhaps :)) so would not dream of commenting on their ships.

Dave- I expect Fred do spend quite a bit on their ships, they always seem to be painting them (as on all ships, even newish ones) when we have been on them. They do, after all, own their ships, so it is in their interest to do so.

At least Thomson ships aren't as old as C&M ships - see my other post :D

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

one person posts that just 2 cabins have suffered floods ....and people are calling for the ship to be scrapped?!

Sadly though Geo, Dream has had these problems since day one of her Thomson lease, possibly to do with the accident in Sharm. As you know she is not my favourite ship, but I do know lots on here love her :)

Perhaps if she is having so many problems, just like a well loved car, it may be time to "trade her in"

(ducks down to avoid the flak :o)

duck!! Linda!.....drat!…missed:p:D

yeah…I know I know….poor ole dream….. it does putter along:(

but

all ships have disabling breakdowns and 'events' at sea (even new ones)....after just a few moments of searching I found a few relating to 2013 (not including outbreaks of illness)

carnival: several incidents of power outages and overflowing toilets on several of their ships

celebrity: same as above

hal: propulsion breakdown, nova scotia

regent seven seas: propulsion problems, shanghai

ventura: propulsion problems on transatlantic crossing

seabourn: loss of power towed to port, new zealand

hurtigruten: rescued by the navy :eek: (dunno which navy?) after being threatened by antartic ice

silversea: wave damages bridge

oh dear not good my boss and wife are on this week but I think they are on deck 7, I have been looking to book for 30th august so lets hope its sorted.

How many weeks, Infoqueen? ;):). Oh, just calculated...if you go on 30th we will still miss each other again.

Edited by Jakanne1