Cave tubing.bz question

ryem14

I am very close to booking my cave tubing excursion with cavetubing.bz based on the many excellent reviews I have read about them. My husband is extremely concerned about missing the ship because of getting back late. Does he have any reason to be concerned with this company? We usually book through the ship for this reason, but this experience looks so much better to me than the ship one.

TIA!

We did it last year with them and had a great time. And yes, it is a Long drive away from Port and they will speed like crazy to get back on time

We passed the carnival bus about half way back. They have good vehicles and their buisness Is bases upon getting you back on time. If they made people missthem ship then they would go out of buisness.

That being said, it's insurance and something you have to be comfortable with. I have been on 5 cruises and have never booked a carnival tour. Too crowded, less time and more money.

Also, since everyone waits until the last minute to head to the pier to hop on a tender, getting back within half an hour of call time isn't a big deal because you still may end up waiting an hour in line to hop a tender out to the ship.

We did a tour a couple of years ago that got us back to the pier about 20 minutes before "last tender" and there were several hundred people in line ahead of us. We waited an hour or so for a tender, got back to the ship and had time to clean up and then head to the balcony to watch tenders come in for the next hour or so.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Yeah, the problem is getting off the boat. This is where the ships say that your time isn't as important as the people who paid money for their excursions. Even though you paid as much money for the cruise as they did. Urgggg.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did their excursion last month and they mention several times during the tour that we can relax because they haven't gotten anyone back late in all their years doing tours.

As an aside, I didn't love the tour. I didn't think it was even close to as amazing as everyone said it was. You can read all about why and see the pics in my review (in my signature line).

• 2 weeks later...

We did this tour in March and it was the first time in all our cruises that I worried we would miss the ship. We started out late because it took 2 1/2 hours to get off the ship due to tendering and Royal Caribbean getting all their ships tours off first. We had to skip the lunch after tubing we were so late. We ended up getting back at 4:20 and the last tender was supposed to be at 4:30...too close for my comfort...this is after a very scary ride back with our crazy driver!! As people said previously, there was a line of several hundred people for the tender, so the last tender was more like 5:00. This is the only port I have been to that I would consider booking a ship's excursion.

We have done this tour twice now and loved it each time. Being a tender port and the caves are so far away, I was once nervous too. They have newer vehicles now and you have to remember that their reputation is on the line as well. I have never ever read someone come back from there saying they missed the ship. It's like any other excursion, if something goes wrong, time is adjusted to assure you are back on time. I would go again with no worries myself. I highly recommend them. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We also did a tour with the company. I was also worried since it is a tender port and I knew our schedule would be tight. They keep a watchful eye on the time and adjust accordingly. We did a combo tour and had to eat our lunch in the van which was fine with us. Our driver Jose knew all the vehicles used by the cruise line so he always made sure we were in front of one of the Carnival excursion buses. The owner would call the driver and check to make sure he was still on time and schedule. Like other posters have said I have never read a post that someone actually missed the boat. They would have posted that. Jose joked that if we missed the boat he would drive us the 4 hours to the next port.

I did the cave tubing with island marketing and had us back in plenty of time, great experience!

It seems all companies that deal with cruise ships have their timing down pat.

I remember the driver on the phone talking about exactly that. Where we were and how far we were form the pier.

Funny thing have heard of people missing the ship that never even went on a tour!

Thinking of booking this tour.

Do they carry your tubes for you? We went several years ago and had to hike and carry. Not fun.

Also, do they have back rests?

And do they tie together.

Any help would be great!

.bz not only carries your tubes for you, but they go way ahead of you (while you are getting fitted for your helmets and when you arrive to get in the water, they are already there waiting for you. :)

They have the tubes attached for your group using a clip. This is for safety reasons and keeps the group together with their guide. Just remember, you are in the tube and just floating. Your guide uses their arms to paddle and also gets out of their tube to pull you along in certain areas...doing all the work for you while you relax. So, not being hooked together would be impossible...and possibly dangerous inside the caves since there are waterfalls (small), gushing water and a flow.

The tubes clipped together:

P5130354-M.jpg

Here's a picture of the backrest:

IMG_0261-M.jpg

It is nice to see that other companies have adapted the narciso style of cave-tubing, that is narciso at vivtours.com designed and implemented the style of tubes and safety method that is now used today. He noticed that for years guest were uncomfortable using the hand to foot method where guest were holding each others feet to float downstream while sitting on a truck tire, the new system is certainly more hygienic and safe. He also instituted the all around tow rope with carbines quick release clips for easy attachment and easy towing. For the past 2 years he also implemented the "Hands Free" system where his courtesy staff takes the luxury 53" diameter tube to the cave entrance, so guest can walk hands free and enjoy the tour.

from

Stu

Thinking of booking this tour.

Do they carry your tubes for you? We went several years ago and had to hike and carry. Not fun.

Also, do they have back rests?

And do they tie together.

Any help would be great!

floating through the caves with vivtours.com

176745815693594?sk=photos_stream

Edited by stewartluzon

Would anyone mind telling me how much you tip the guide? Is it the same person that drives you there or are there several people that need tipping? Thank you!:)

Usually the guides will be at the port (several of them) and ride with you to the caves. They tell you about their country, give you information along the way with sites, some even stop along the way and let you try like fruit off the tree.

Once you get there and they divide you up into "actual" groups with who you are going to be with, you are just with that particular guide (which will be who you tip).

They stick with you the entire time from gearing you up, walking with you on the path and stopping along the way to give you interesting facts and so on during the walk. Then they will be the one that pulls you in the water all the way to the end.

Once done, you ride back down the street (if with .bz) to the owners place where they will serve you your meal. That's usually when they are tipped. At least this is how we have always done it.

Usually the guides will be at the port (several of them) and ride with you to the caves. They tell you about their country, give you information along the way with sites, some even stop along the way and let you try like fruit off the tree.

Once you get there and they divide you up into "actual" groups with who you are going to be with, you are just with that particular guide (which will be who you tip).

They stick with you the entire time from gearing you up, walking with you on the path and stopping along the way to give you interesting facts and so on during the walk. Then they will be the one that pulls you in the water all the way to the end.

Once done, you ride back down the street (if with .bz) to the owners place where they will serve you your meal. That's usually when they are tipped. At least this is how we have always done it.

About how much per person would be appropriate? $10, $15 There will be 4 of us so $40-$60? I would imagine we also tip the food servers. I want to be sure to bring enough cash with me. Thanks!

About how much per person would be appropriate? $10, $15 There will be 4 of us so $40-$60? I would imagine we also tip the food servers. I want to be sure to bring enough cash with me. Thanks!

It's entirely up to you and how you feel your service was with the person that was with you. We tipped $50 the first time because he was just so darn good, great personality, really clicked with my husband (and his job) and we were just so amazed at the things he showed us and his "story". Second time around, I specifically ask for something during the "walk" and the guide kinda blew me off about it (was important to my young daughter) and he got $20 for a tip. Obviously he wasn't as good as the last person (who no longer worked for the company).

Just got back. In my opinion, .bz cuts it way too close. We got to the port after 4:00 (and yes, the "final tender at 4:15" line is utter bull, as we got on one at 4:40, due to the line, and then there was one more loaded up)- but they COUNT on there being a long line. There is no margin for error, and the way they drive on those roads, it seems like a tire problem could easily happen and leave you no extra time to get back.

It was an absolutely fabulous day (we did ziplining and cave tubing); but just too nerve wracking at the end. Would have been better if there was no stop for lunch.

We were in port on an uncrowded day; only 1 ship in Belize; so getting on the first tender was easy; but it still took awhile to get the whole group together and split into the various excursions (tubing only; tubing combos etc) to get into vans (we had 22 in our van; although only 12 in our tubing-group since some did ATV-zip-tube combo so they split off). The lunch was amazing, but I would have rather been back 30 minutes earlier.

What a phenomenal excursion; but on a busy day where getting on the first non-ship excursions tender isn't a guarantee, I think it would be really stressful. (For us, booking with the ship was not an option because they do not allow pregnant guests to go cave tubing. While I sat out the zip part of the day there was NOTHING about the tubing that would make it inappropriate for me!)