Venice.From the port to st.marks

I'd suggest Vapperetto (hope spelling is right) which is a water bus , if mobility is more limiting (as it may be standing only on a water bus) then a water taxi but this is more expensive , the water taxi service is just like a regular bus route where you get on and off at various stops (link here http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vaporetto_routes.htm )

this is probably the cheapest way to get around Venice from the port :o

I suggest you do the Thomson trip, it takes you from the ship to Doges Palace and picks you up there for the return - for ease I would certainly do this.

Get off the ship, turn left and keep walking for about 350 yards, this is where the stop is for the water bus. Pay as you get on (can't remember how much) The first stop is St Marks square, get off there and do what you want but leave at least an hour to get back to the ship on time or they will leave you.

Its very very easy, there will be loads of people doing the same so just follow everyone else.

If you have difficulty walking it might be a problem getting from the ship to the public transport options, be it Vaporetto, water taxi or people mover. Expect some hundreds of yards walk to any of them. :(

Hi Deeside dave

Agree with davecttr.Was there two weeks ago and it was a helluva walk from where the Maj docked.I have walking difficulties and gave up the ghost as did a few others

Edited by Jim The Scot

Hi Deeside dave

Agree with davecttr.Was there two weeks ago and it was a helluva walk from where the Maj docked.I have walking difficulties and gave up the ghost as did a few others

Providing a complementary electric 'trolly' service like on large sations would win them a lot of praise

Agree dave.There were two other cruise ships in port at the time a lot closer to the public transport options than the Maj,provided water taxis/vaporetto specifically for their passengers and complimentary shuttle buses

We were docked quite a way from the vaparetto station, but we got on the People Mover, walked round the corner to buy our tickets and then got on the vaparetto.

Its nice to go down the Guidecca Canal to St Marks Square, lots to see there, and then get a vaparetto back from there down the Grand Canal at the end of the day.

Venice is my favourite port, wonderful memories of the whole day as well as both the sail-in and the sailaway :D

Edited by Essexlass2

From looking at various online maps, I'd estimated about 30-45 minute stroll from Piazzale Roma to St Marks. Is this about right, or have I underestimated ?

Any idea how long from the Majesty to Piazzale Roma on the People Mover - again, I'd guessed maybe 5-10 minutes ?

From looking at various online maps, I'd estimated about 30-45 minute stroll from Piazzale Roma to St Marks. Is this about right, or have I underestimated ?

Any idea how long from the Majesty to Piazzale Roma on the People Mover - again, I'd guessed maybe 5-10 minutes ?

i would allow longer as you will be diverted by sights along the way and get lost a couple of times :D

The people mover itself is about 5 mins including waits but there is walking at each end.

If you have difficulty walking it might be a problem getting from the ship to the public transport options, be it Vaporetto, water taxi or people mover. Expect some hundreds of yards walk to any of them. :(

I agree, Venice is tough on those with walking or mobility issues.