Is this considered a call from the Upgrade Fairy??

thequotegal

We are leaving this Tuesday for Alaska. They called and offered us two balcony cabins (we have ocean views now) but for $100 per person! That's $600 more dollars. That didn't sound like any deal to me? What to do? I know Alaska is the place to have a balcony but cannot really afford!

No, You encountered the Up-SELL fairy. They are booking OVs faster than balconies so get a few $$$ from you to upgrade and they can sell your OVs to someone else.

$100 PP to move to a balcony is not bad, but not an exceptional deal.

Why not just upgrade one cabin for $300 then at least you have one balcony for Alaska?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My thought exactly, but if its more than you can do, don't do it. I've haven't been in an IS for several cruises, and have been checking prices constantly for drops in order to get a BL. The prices for OCV have dropped using Super Saver, but I don't won't to chance getting a room I really don't want. Looking at finances, and not wanting to put the BL on a charge card, if the rooms for BL guarantee under Super Saver fall another $100.00, I can make the move without the extra expense. I'd take the chance with the BL, but not the OCV. So check out BL guarantees which may be an option unless all the rooms need to be together, there may be a significant reduction using this rate/option. Hope everything works out. Enjoy your cruise!!!!

We are leaving this Tuesday for Alaska. They called and offered us two balcony cabins (we have ocean views now) but for $100 per person! That's $600 more dollars. That didn't sound like any deal to me? What to do? I know Alaska is the place to have a balcony but cannot really afford!

I know most people say Alaska is the place to have a balcony, but I really disagree with that....mainly because wildlife sightings can be anywhere! We like to be on an open deck, where we can easily go from side to side!

A balcony may be nice touch, but it's not where I put my money. We sailed Alaska in an inside cabin, but spent most of our time on deck. I really don't feel I miss anything. I took the money I saved and bought us better shore excursions and saw quite a bit more than we would have sitting out on our balcony for a couple of hours.

You are claiming you "cannot really afford"? In my opinion, then this is out for you?

Frankly, with this itinerary, it is hardly worth a balcony. Presently this is the worse itinerary sailing Alaska, 3 open ocean sea days. Only, scenic sailing day you have is Tracy Arm, where you are FAR better off booking the add on shore excursion, otherwise you aren't going to be seeing glaciers, except for a far off, upper look at the South Sawyer. If money is tight, I would suggest you spend it there rather on a balcony.