Packing cosmetics etc.

Daydaes

We don't fly very often so not sure how to pack shampoo, perfume, lotion, etc. I have a bag I use that has a handle that I used to take on board with me but I don't think I will be able to now. Should I check it with my regular luggage? What do you packing experts suggest? I can't go out and replace everything once I'm in the town, that seems too expensive.

We don't fly very often so not sure how to pack shampoo, perfume, lotion, etc. I have a bag I use that has a handle that I used to take on board with me but I don't think I will be able to now. Should I check it with my regular luggage? What do you packing experts suggest? I can't go out and replace everything once I'm in the town, that seems too expensive.

If you want to take these items onboard the plane (with you) they must all be 3 oz or less and fit into one quart-sized zip lock bag. Put the rest in your checked luggage and you will be fine!

I always use the travel size clear packages with the small size bottles. I started using these for carry on and still use them for cruises and land travel. It also saves weight and space in your luggage when you are flying as opposed to carrying the full size bottles

Yes, you'll have to put all of your mentioned items in your checked luggage. We actually put the very liquid stuff like shampoo, mouth wash, lotions, etc., in plastic storage bags so that if they leak it's contained. My wife has padded cosmetic bags that are plastic lined and the wrapped liquids go in those for double protection. As for actually packing them in a suitcase we simply try to put them where they're padded from the outside and the hazards of harsh handling.

I put anything larger than the 3.4 oz into my checked bags...in zip-locs, in case of leakage! All of my "liquid" make-up items will fit in my qt. zip-loc and I carry them on. If everything won't fit in my qt. bag, I usurp my hubby's bag, too! You're each allowed one 1 qt. zip-loc. Just check the oz. on the bottle or container...most are smaller than 3.4 oz!

Shampoo, lotion, sunscreen, etc...all go into checked luggage. It's WAY too much trouble to go shopping before your cruise...and waaaay too expensive on the ship! Just check one bag, if not more, and put your larger liquids in there.

I put anything larger than the 3.4 oz into my checked bags...in zip-locs, in case of leakage! All of my "liquid" make-up items will fit in my qt. zip-loc and I carry them on. If everything won't fit in my qt. bag, I usurp my hubby's bag, too! You're each allowed one 1 qt. zip-loc. Just check the oz. on the bottle or container...most are smaller than 3.4 oz!

Shampoo, lotion, sunscreen, etc...all go into checked luggage. It's WAY too much trouble to go shopping before your cruise...and waaaay too expensive on the ship! Just check one bag, if not more, and put your larger liquids in there.

Of course you use your husband's liquid bag. I think it is a rule that husbands have to share their ziplock bag. :D

Of course you use your husband's liquid bag. I think it is a rule that husbands have to share their ziplock bag. :D

if it isn't it should be:):) For the op, if it's not a long cruise then the travel sizes will hold out - but if it's a longer cruise you definitely need to put it in your checked luggage. Pack toiletries with caution - they add weight;) for our longer cruise we are debating not packing a couple of things and picking them up on the plane duty free (if available) or buying in Port Everglades and just slipping them in the luggage:D

Since we have no choice but to fly and our cruises are longer than 7 days, we can not use 3 ounce bottles.

So we pack our larger size bottles of shampoo, etc. in our regular suitcases.

I use the three oz bottles to tide us over for two days until we pick up larger sizes to take aboard.

Since we have no choice but to fly and our cruises are longer than 7 days, we can not use 3 ounce bottles.

Same here. Just not worth it to load up on the travel sizes and we typically just like to relax the afternoon and night before a cruise so the notion of running out to get larger sizes of stuff in say Ft Lauderdale doesn't appeal to us.

We too pack all of our liquids (full size containers) in zip-lock bags and then in a second zip-lock. Sometimes if it is a small item I will put it in a small zip-lock and then put multiple small, zip-locked items in one larger zip-lock bag. Once I had a brand new bottle of my best perfume and I put it in a quart size zip-lock and it leaked and the bag leaked and everything my husband and I owned smelled (reeked) of my perfume :eek:. Now I am very, very careful the the tops are tight and everything is double bagged. Since I have been doing this I have not had any more problems. We also pack extra empty bags in case we purchase anything liquid to bring home. As for perfume, I have started going on ebay and buying the small, sample size, spray containers of my favorite perfumes and Cologne for my DH and myself. I have been surprised how long each one will last. We both wear a scent that has been easy to find on-line for a reasonable price. Take almost no room in our luggage and have never had one leak, also very easy to carry in your purse and/or evening bag.

If I'm flying, I pack all toiletries and cosmetics into the checked bag. For a cruise, I'd fly in a day ahead, and would repack my carryon for embarkation day to include those items.

We do the same thing -- once we get to the embarkation port, we then pack all toiletries in the carry-ons and back pack to go to the ship.

Same here. Just not worth it to load up on the travel sizes and we typically just like to relax the afternoon and night before a cruise so the notion of running out to get larger sizes of stuff in say Ft Lauderdale doesn't appeal to us.

We can't even find small sizes of the items we use.

And like you, we prefer to just relax before getting on the ship -- especially after all the hassle of flying.

We can't even find small sizes of the items we use.

That's actually true for us, particularly Mrs. K's stuff. She has collected some smaller bottles of some of the products she uses but even then those are good enough for just her typical two or three day business trips. Most of those she gets as "gifts" or samples for say Clinique.

One thing I do to prevent leaks. I put my nail polish bottle in an empty prescription pill bottle - the kind I use has a bottle shape that fits perfectly in a medium size pill container. That's one of the items in my 3-1-1 bag in my carry-on. Of course, DH "shares" his bag with me. :)

Other things go in the regular checked bags - double ziploced.

It depends on the length of the cruise. For the short, 7 night cruises, a couple of the travel sized shampoos for each of us. For my makeup, I usually just pack it in my checked luggage. My hair products (mousse, hairspray, etc) also goes in the checked luggage. For a 2 week cruise, as we only take 1 weeks worth of clothes and have them laundered, I can still pack my toiletries in my checked luggage. The only difference from the 1 week cruise is that we buy a smaller version of shampoo than we use at home. I have a plastic lined bag to carry these things in (the kind that unfolds and can hang on the hook in the bathroom). For our 30 day cruise last year, we traveled from the east coast to San Diego. I wasn't about to schlepp 30 days worth of product (except my usual makeup) cross country as we had to fit about 2 1/2 weeks worth of clothes in our luggage (between our pre and post cruise stays in SD, our 4 week cruise was a 5 week vacation). I didn't bother with shampoo, hair product and all that. I bought it all when we got to SD. I figured, using these things every day for a month, it'd just about last me. It was pretty accurate. And anything that was left over was so little, I either left it behind in our hotel (if the amount was negligible).

Archived