Viking menus

agnesd

Does anyone have menus for Viking cruises?

Agnesd,

Just back from Romantic Danube on Viking Njord. We had incredibly delicious meals - from appetizer to desert.

Main courses changed daily, often reflecting the port (Hungarian goulash one night) Beef, pork, salmon, lamb, vegetarian, and then there's always the optional "standards" on the right side of the menu - Seared NY Strip, Chicken Breast, Grilled Salmon - Always have had only great meals on any of the Viking Cruises we have been on. One night we had a Viennese 6 course buffet - excellent and creative chef Rene (on Njord) with the help of Hazel (pastries) and other crew members made all of our meals memorable.

Breakfast features omelettes made to order, a buffet with cereal, fruit, bagels, smoked salmon, yogurt, pastries etc... french toast too! (made to order)

Cookies and muffins available all day long at the 2 coffee/tea stations...

enjoy!

Jerry

Thanks. Just wanted some idea if food has improved since our last River cruise 11 years ago. It was good but it looks as if it's more sophisticated now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agnesd,

Just back from Romantic Danube on Viking Njord. We had incredibly delicious meals - from appetizer to desert.

Main courses changed daily, often reflecting the port (Hungarian goulash one night) Beef, pork, salmon, lamb, vegetarian, and then there's always the optional "standards" on the right side of the menu - Seared NY Strip, Chicken Breast, Grilled Salmon - Always have had only great meals on any of the Viking Cruises we have been on. One night we had a Viennese 6 course buffet - excellent and creative chef Rene (on Njord) with the help of Hazel (pastries) and other crew members made all of our meals memorable.

Breakfast features omelettes made to order, a buffet with cereal, fruit, bagels, smoked salmon, yogurt, pastries etc... french toast too! (made to order)

enjoy!

Jerry

We were on the Romantic Danube (also the Njord) last month) and also found the food to be overall very good. It was much better than we expected and would definitely do another Viking River Cruise.

Thanks. Just wanted some idea if food has improved since our last River cruise 11 years ago. It was good but it looks as if it's more sophisticated now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Dear Agnes,

I understand your comment. As with ocean cruises. things have gotten more competitive and the food has improved.

I remember the food on my first ocean cruise compared to our last cruise some 20 years later!

Viking's menus don't always reflect what one is served. For example on our Heimdahl cruise in Sept: (a) the menu said Beef Burgundy, but what actually appeared was simple beef tips over flat noodles. Having had this dish in Burgundy and else where, Viking's presentation of the dish was a stretch in calling it by that name. (b) The menu one night said Beef Wellington. We were served a filet with a piece pastry sitting on top. Absolutely no pate, a vital part of Beef Wellington, was to be found in the dish. As an aside at our table, everyone's filet was cooked to at least medium well which add to the disappointment of the dish. The food generally is OK, but not great or even "very good". However, food likes and dislikes are subjective and personal. Perhaps some people love their filet mignons prepared medium well to well done! We had the same problem with the duck breast and fish dishes being over cooked. The one dish they seemed to get right was lamb, they did a great job on both nights the dish was served.

Agnesd,

enjoy!

Jerry

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about Viking Njords menu. We are going on the Njord Dec. 12th taking the same route you did. How are the portions and can you get a second main dish or whatever.???? Kent N Sandy

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about Viking Njords menu. We are going on the Njord Dec. 12th taking the same route you did. How are the portions and can you get a second main dish or whatever.???? Kent N Sandy

Portions are adequate - yes you can order a second main dish, for instance, I ordered a steak with salmon "my own making of surf & turf"... no problem! Service always with a smile... I promise, you will not leave the dining room hungry.

JerryL

• 2 weeks later...

On the Lif there were 3 options you could have any night....a steak, salmon and I think a chicken....

If you are on a Longship at dinner you may eat upstairs in the Aquavit terrace and order from a "bar menu" we ate there once...there were hamburgers, baked potato, a pasta dish .....much faster than eating in the main dining room if you are tired or just dont want to socialize (there are tables for 2 up there!)