Sheltered or glass balcony in January?

Circusboy354

Hi

We're sailing on QM2 NYC - Southampton on January 3rd. Currently we have 2 sheltered balconies 6191 & 6193 but have been offered to upgrade to deck 8 or deck 11.

For an early January sailing are we better staying with what we have on deck 6, or would it be the same or better or deck 8 or 11?

Thanks

Mark.

Edited by mcferran1

I would personally keep the sheltered balconies. I don't think you get much use from the balconies or open decks on a Trans Atlantic in January.

There will be less movement in your cabin low down then a higher deck.

Edited by Kamloops50

Some of the glass fronted balconies on deck 8 have a view that is obscured by the lifeboats. For me there is no way that I would go from a "hull hole" to an obscured balcony on 8 unless it is from a port side room to a starboard room. I would jump on that! If you are being offered a complimentary upgrade to an unobscured room on decks 8 or 11 I would be inclined to take that one. Granted, you will find a bit more movement the higher that you go if the seas are lively. That could be a factor for some people in deciding which room they would like, but not for me. Also it depends which side of the ship you are now and where you could end up. The starboard side from NYC to Soton is preferable; if there is sun during the trip it will be on the starboard side. I wouldn't go from a starboard room to any room on the portside.

The weather can be quite fickle during January. I've been on January crossings and have enjoyed sunny days with ambient temperatures in the 50's and 60's F along with days of snow and ice. Believe it or not, sometimes it's happened during the same trip.

Edited by Calliope

We just did a crossing in a sheltered cabin mid ship on deck 5 on Sept 27th. We loved it. You lose the view of the water from the cabin unless standing in the sheltered balcony, but you are protected from the wind and feel less motion on the lower decks.

If you love looking at the water while in bed or sitting in cabin, then glass might work better for you - just research to make sure the view is not obstructed.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

If you love looking at the water while in bed or sitting in cabin, then glass might work better for you - just research to make sure the view is not obstructed.

I think this is the key. We got an upgrade to deck 11, and we really enjoyed being able to relax and see the ocean. We did have some pretty rough weather one evening, and we didn't have any real issues with being on the higher deck. Either way I hope you have a great trip.

Hi

We're sailing on QM2 NYC - Southampton on January 3rd. Currently we have 2 sheltered balconies 6191 & 6193 but have been offered to upgrade to deck 8 or deck 11.

For an early January sailing are we better staying with what we have on deck 6, or would it be the same or better or deck 8 or 11?

Thanks

Mark.

Mark, if the choice was mine, I would keep the sheltered balcony.

Salacia

I'd most certainly accept the up grade. If you have been offered an upgrade that offers a stateroom on 'deck eight' then this will not be obstructed, obstructed views on deck 8 are in a category below your original booking

Although you will not get much use from the 'glass fronted balcony' and I agree there could be less movement lower down , but the view (especially on deck 11 are wonderful) :)