Alcohol in the duty free shops

Sandycheeks12

Good morning,

We are flying into George Busch airport on a Sunday and are wondering since Texas has a law that you can't buy alcohol on sundays before a certain does this apply at the duty free shops that sell this in the airport?

Also can you bring sealed bottles of wine on a plane?

Thank you

Good morning,

We are flying into George Busch airport on a Sunday and are wondering since Texas has a law that you can't buy alcohol on sundays before a certain does this apply at the duty free shops that sell this in the airport?

Also can you bring sealed bottles of wine on a plane?

Thank you

Unless you're flying internationally, you can't shop in the Duty Free shops. They will check your airline ticket and your passport.

Can you bring wine onto the plane??? Only if you purchased the wine past the TSA security check point.

Edited by klfrodo

Each airline is different but I've brought travel sizes of liquor with me that I purchased at home. As long as it doesn't go over the liquid amount that's allowed I've never had any problems.

Nope ... all airlines are subject to TSA regulations. Your travel sized bottles were allowed because they fit into the 3-1-1 thresholds. Or ... maybe you just looked like you really needed a drink :)

Edited by Schoifmom

If I understand what OP is asking

IME you can not buy duty free at the airport to take on the ship ..... only to take directly on an international flight. In fact in some cases the duty free purchase is delivered to the plane ... you don't carry it away.

Edited by Capt_BJ

The 3-1-1 thing is a TSA rule, not specific to any airline. The "3" as in 3 fl.oz. is actually incorrect. The real guideline is 100 ml, which is a little over 3 fl.oz. Mini liquors are 50 ml and the "double shot" ones are 100 ml. So those are fine as long as you put them in your 1 qt. bag. I almost always take a couple when I fly, including a trip to Brussels last week. No problem. Further, you don't have to use a 1 qt ziploc bag. There are numerous TSA-compliant bags on Amazon or at a travel store that work fine and are a big larger than a quart ziploc. And they have square corners so things fit better. Also keep in mind that ONLY your liquids need to go in that bag. I used to just have a single bag for toiletries. Took me a while to realize there is more space for liquids if you split things up and put the non-liquid things (razor, toothbrush, etc.) in a separate bag.

Nope ... all airlines are subject to TSA regulations. Your travel sized bottles were allowed because they fit into the 3-1-1 thresholds. Or ... maybe you just looked like you really needed a drink :)

If you fly into the US with bottles of alcohol (or whatever) which were purchased at the Duty Free Shop AND sealed in the new (well, as of 2 years ago) secure see-through bags, you are welcome to bring back that magnum of booze and the gallon of Paco Rabanne. The 3-1-1 rule does not apply to the duty free stuff. If it did, those TSA weenies at the checkpoints when I brought back all that wine from Italy and the rum from Puerto Rico in my carryon were asleep at the wheel (well, that is how they are most of the time, but...) ;)

Unfortunately, since the OP is looking to shop at the DF after landing, it's not going to happen :(