Sunday and Labour Day in Bermuda

Weluv2cruise2007

So like many NCL ships we arrive on a Sunday, and from what I understand, I can expect reduced services et - correct? Are shops around the wharf open? Hamilton? Also, the next day is Labour Day...is Labour Day celebrated in Bermuda and if so, will we encounter the same reduced transport schedules and shopping??

Most shops at the Dockyard will be open because cruise ships are docked there, but don't expect much of anything in Hamilton to be open.

Transit will be on a reduced schedule, but I've noticed this year that they've offered somewhat more than you would expect from the published schedule. Usually there's an announcement published with exact details. I haven't seen one yet.

Usually on Sunday everything is open at the Dockyard, but nothing in Hamilton.

Being a long week-end....they might be closed.

Monday...yep closed about everywhere.

BUT things like BAMZ, Crystal caves, Gibb's hill Lighthouse are open...

So shopping is a problem, but not visiting.

Taxi fares will be 25% higher on Sunday and Monday. Reduced bus and ferry...

If it is your first time on the Island, I would suggest to get a private taxi tour with a blue flag taxi ( NO 25% surcharge for tours ), explore the Island for 4 or 5 hours. Monday go back to what you found the most interesting or do a beach day ( if you are into that ). Start early Tuesday if you want to go to Hamilton for shopping....

Have fun !

Has anyone heard if the ferry to St Georges will be running on Monday? That could change our plans drastically.

James

I don't think so .:(

Not on Sundays or Holiday's

The last two labour days we spent in Bermuda were very quiet .

Edited by biker@sea

Has anyone heard if the ferry to St Georges will be running on Monday? That could change our plans drastically.

James

It might. They've run the ferry to St. George's on some other holidays because it's a chartered ferry run by a US captain and mate, not Bermudians. (Of course in this case it's a US holiday too, so they might not.) That's why I was hoping to see an announcement on transportation for the holiday as they have added service on others.

I called the ferry office to see if they would be running next Monday. The man that answered the phone said they couldn't say if the ferry would run next Monday because of the weather but if the weather allowed the ferry will run.

Sounds like a good possibility that they will be running.

It has been announced that the Hamilton and St George's ferries will be running a normal weekday schedule on Monday rather than a holiday schedule, weather permitting, but Cristobal will be long gone by then so hopefully the weather will be fine.

http://bernews.com/2014/08/ferry-schedule-for-labour-day-holiday/

Edited by jollyjones

I can confirm that the Dockyard/St George ferry will operate however it will operate weather permitting, the buses will operate on a Sunday schedule (per the dispatch operator), the businesses in the Dockyard will be open as normal and there will be limited businesses open in the City of Hamilton.