Driving to Baltimore

LynnAnne

Were driving to Baltimore for our Feb cruise. Would like to park at the port. We'll be driving from Michigan. Is there any places of interest or fun that we could stay in Pennsylvania ? Looks like we're driving thru the corner of it. Like I 70 E- I76 E. That way we could get up and only have a couple hours to the port. Thanks

Gettysburg is an excellent choice. Another possibility in Harper's Ferry. A little south of I-70.

What is Harpers Ferry? It's in Feb. so I'm hoping things are open. Is there any Amish things in that area? Thanks everyone

Harpers Ferry is a National Historical Park located at the convergence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers on the West Virginia/Maryland border. It was the site of John Brown's attack, a large arsenal, multiple battles during the Civil War. Jackson's march to Antietam began in Harpers Ferry.

The park more or less preserves the look of the 1800's, with a number of tourist oriented shops. It can be kind of cold and wet in February, though.

For Amish country, you probably want to look at Lancaster County in Pennsylvania. About 2 hours from Baltimore, depending on traffic.

What is Harpers Ferry? It's in Feb. so I'm hoping things are open. Is there any Amish things in that area? Thanks everyone

I thought of Lancaster. It is a little bit out of the way. You have to go a little further east than if you took the PA Turnpike and went south on 83. However, even in Feb it is a good option.

York PA, home of HD. :)

Yeah I knew it wasn't Home Depot, but isn't Harley Davidsons headquarters in Milwaukee

Interesting fact about the Harpers Ferry rebellion is that the federal general who was sent in to quell it was one Robert E Lee.

Yeah I knew it wasn't Home Depot, but isn't Harley Davidsons headquarters in Milwaukee

Interesting fact about the Harpers Ferry rebellion is that the federal general who was sent in to quell it was one Robert E Lee.

Minor correction to the above, it was Col Robert E Lee, USMC who led the federal troops. (but yeah, it is still that Robert E Lee)

Yes Harley Davidson world headquarters is still located in Milwaukee.

The York PA site is their manufacturing plant.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many things to see and do in the Lancaster area. For starters check out this link: http://www.discoverlancaster.com/index.asp

You're going to find Amish country, outlet shopping, theaters (Sight & Sound, etc.), and even downtown Lancaster has had a renaissance where you will find a host of eateries, Fulton market, and an art district. Throughout the Rt. 30 and adjacent areas you will find tons of hotels, and all types of restaurants.

Edited by Wildcatfish

What about the Hershey chocolate factory?

We are coming from Ottawa for the Feb 28th cruise with 4 kids, so we will definitely be stopping at the Hershey chocolate factory on the way down.

Joey

Don't waste your time. Hersheypark is closed in February and the "factory" (you do not tour a real factory) is not worth a stop, at least not imho.

http://www.hersheys.com/chocolateworld/hours

Edited by grandma*knows*best

Hershey is a GREAT place to visit... even in February! (Our last trip was in February)

Check out the many attractions at Chocolate World: http://www.hersheys.com/chocolateworld/

The Hershey Story, located on Chocolate Avenue has a variety of activities: https://hersheystory.org/

Founders Hall is a stately monument to Milton and Catherine Hershey and all of the individuals involved in helping them to realize their dream of building a better life for children in need. Visitors to Founders Hall are left with a lasting impression of the Hersheys’ philanthropy and how their generosity gave hope to so many. http://www.mhskids.org/locations/founders-hall/

Even when HersheyPark is closed for the winter, there are still many fun things to see and do!

Amish country and Baltimore Inner Harbor are both interesting and worth the time. Which is more interesting to you and your family? Parking at the Port in Baltimore is one of the easiest ports to negotiate - will not be an issue at all.