Looking at Alaska Cruise Balcony room

swingdancerk

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Well, you only gave us a little information. Not sure what cruise line you are looking at or what ships.

We have been to Alaska on HAL, Princess and NCL. All were great cruises but we enjoyed Princess and HAL the most.

Just to give you an example of what we like -- others will chime in what they like.

HAL -- verandah -- port side. On the majority of the cruises we have done, the captains seem to keep the port side of the ship facing the glaciers the longest.

You definitely want to pick an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay for your first Alaskan cruise.

HAL's Noordam will be doing north bound and south bound cruises out of Vancouver to Seward and then back to Vancouver. You can book them as 7 days or 14 days.

HAL's Westerdam does 7 day cruises out of Seattle -- round trip.

On these 2 ships Deck 7 -- Rotterdam deck is the best -- no views blocked -- cabins above and below you. Midship has less motion.

The Volendam also does 7 day round trip cruises out of Vancouver. Leaves mid week thus when you are in the major ports there are few cruise ships.

You have to do some research on the cruise line you are considering, then the ship, to find out the "best" place to be. The cruise lines provide floor plans of their ships, so you can see what is all around your proposed cabin.

There is no "best" side of the ship in most scenic locations, as 1) you are not locked in your room- you are out and about, roaming all over the ship, 2) the scenery in most scenic locations isn't small, such that you have to be in a specific location at a set time to see it, rather it is big picture scenery, that you will see for a while as you sail by it; and 3) in many cases, like Glacier Bay, for example, you will sail into, and then back out the same way. So if the great sight was on the port side going in, it will be on the starboard side coming out. Frequently the ship will stop, or slowly turn around in front of sights, so it can be seen from all sides and all over the ship.

Most ships.... Midship, with cabins above and below you!!! Beware of what creates noise either above or below (pool area, dining rooms, bars, dance clubs) all create noise for cabins around them, or over and under them....

I think this advise works for almost any ship you sail!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aft,aft,aft....right on the aft....you'll have a breathtaking 180 degree view until very late....

And if they have any sea sickness issues or are sensitive to vibration they are going to be very uncomfortable. Personally I love the Aft cabins but the heavy vibrations back there can be a huge issue.

Might not be the best place for a first time cruiser... JMHO

Would be fabulous on an Alaska cruise however :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

Don't choose your balcony with the thought that you will spend most of your time on it. Most chips have a naturalist onboard, up on the bridge with the captain, spotting wildlife. When he sees something, it might be on the other side of the ship, and in addition.you cannot hear his announcements in your cabin or on your balcony. And, there may be times when it is just too cool to stay on your balcony unless you brought full winter gear. I have sailed Princess twice, 14 days each time, in an inside cabin. I don't feel I missed anything not having a balcony. EM